PDA

View Full Version : What do you think it needs...

VashTheStampede
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
As we all know, our sport isn't the most popular sport in the United States and in many other countries. What do you guys think needs to be done in order tennis to be a major sport?

splink779
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I hope it never becomes a major sport. It is so much more pure in so many ways. If tennis ever becomes like football, (which it most likely wont), I hope I will be long dead by then. Imagine if Federer or Sampras did a rediculous touchdown-style dance every time they won a set.

ty slothrop
11-10-2004, 09:07 PM
allow allow all red states - the west from nevada to illinois and down to southern florida - to secede and form their own country. you guys tried it once and have my personal assurance that I won't intervene in preserving the Union. you can drink all the coors and watch all the nfl, pro wrestling, and stock car racing you want. we'll keep tennis and the Tennis Channel. seriously.

all tennis fans will be welcome to emigrate, we will welcome you all

ontherise17
11-11-2004, 12:21 AM
ok...what?....im guessing thats a republican/democrat statement...but i have no clue which side ur actually from..nor where ur from....nor what ur trying to prove with that statement! :| :?

BLiND
11-11-2004, 01:37 AM
I don't think Tennis will ever be as big as a team-sport... its just too individual... and doesn't allow a wide veriety of players to compete.

After all... out of ALL the players in the world... only 100 get ANY publicity.

Unless the whole "tour" is changed, so that everyone competes within their own country, then at the end of the season there is a "world" event bringing all the best together (like with most other sports)... then it will never be as big, because it doesn't allow a country to get behind a player.

pound cat
11-11-2004, 04:12 AM
onthe rise it's a joke that has more to do with stereotypes than politics. I guess Canada will be joining the beer-drinking group if we can get green cards. But only if log-rolling and log-sawing are included. LOL

rhubarb
11-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Unless the whole "tour" is changed, so that everyone competes within their own country, then at the end of the season there is a "world" event bringing all the best together (like with most other sports)... then it will never be as big, because it doesn't allow a country to get behind a player.

That's what Davis Cup is for. The rest of the time anybody can play anywhere, and that's just as well. Imagine having only Tim and Greg at Wimbledon and none of the top players! Mind you, if you read the British tabloids you'd be forgiven for thinking that was the case anyway.

11-11-2004, 09:45 AM
hey Pound Cat: don't forget ice-fishing, snowmobiling and waiting in Tim Horton's drive through lines

pound cat
11-11-2004, 12:46 PM
And Tim-bits after curling...