PDA

View Full Version : High Point University are showing some interest

danielpreston
10-05-2007, 05:35 AM
What do you think?

UK tennis scholar prospect here trying to respond in an informed way to the US scene. I'm a NTRP 5.0 and a SAT score 1250 (Math & CR)

How would you rate HPU for tennis and for academics?

Anyone out there got an informed point of view?:grin:

blubber
10-05-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure what it means, but I've never hear of that school.

danielpreston
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure what it means, but I've never hear of that school.

Sorry to be obscure, blubber! I'm a UK tennis scholar prospect looking to get recruited, and High Point University have shown initial interest in me; so I'm calling all the gurus out there who know the scene to give me some advice

http://www.highpoint.edu/

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Lets see..... your foreign, most likely sound funny, don't have a clue about post-secondary education in America, yeah, you will fit in High Point perfectly.

danielpreston
10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Lets see..... your foreign, most likely sound funny, don't have a clue about post-secondary education in America, yeah, you will fit in High Point perfectly.

You can hear how funny I sound on www.danpreston.co.uk

I'll let you know I speak the Queen's English LOL

Anyhow Mighty Wonder ... I'm sure you can do better that this response, you sound a touch racist and I didn't know that the internet and Talk Tennis was the sole province of the US, so that everyone else is labelled "foreign"

You do need to watch your language ... in my country your posting thread could be immediately reported:-(

fed_the_savior
10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
You do need to watch your language ... in my country your posting thread could be immediately reported:-(

Reported to who? The police? Does England really monitor chat forums for offensive posts?! If so, wow! Or are you just joking?

By the way... if you feel offended by a post you can report it right here to the forum moderators. See that little triangle with an exclamation mark in it on the bottom left of the post? Just click that little puppy.

<——————

10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Sorry for very weak humor (humour?)
What is striking is using the term "racist" on my side of the forum, all I see is a blue screen.
For all who ponder just how bad our "mate" should desire to breathe free-
read new book out "LONDONISTAN" and be prepared to take back some of those smart remarks about our home of the brave.

tennis-n-sc
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't know anything about the school but I live about 2.5 hours south of the campus. It is located in the Piedmont area of North Carolina and is the third point of the triangle created by Greensboro, High Point and Winston Salem. Small town, former big tobacco and furniture center, growing and is now a bedroom community of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Looks like they are looking for players since they couldn't field a team with the existing roster, all foreign players, I might add. The Big South Conference is small schools, mediocre tennis. Don't the schools in England offer tennis scholarships?

danielpreston
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM
No offence taken ... mighty.

I've had a bad day! Sob! Sob!

danielpreston
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know anything about the school but I live about 2.5 hours south of the campus. It is located in the Piedmont area of North Carolina and is the third point of the triangle created by Greensboro, High Point and Winston Salem. Small town, former big tobacco and furniture center, growing and is now a bedroom community of Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Looks like they are looking for players since they couldn't field a team with the existing roster, all foreign players, I might add. The Big South Conference is small schools, mediocre tennis. Don't the schools in England offer tennis scholarships?

Yep a handful of UK unis do .... but I'm looking for an adventure! The tennis in the States is much better, the fees are higher, the sky is bluer and the streets are paved with gold ... at least that's what they told me!

10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
GO WEST, YOUNG MAN
You would be as welcome as rain at NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY
The sky is bluest, the women truest, and there is GOLD enough for everyone's wildest dreams, you just have to look around Flagstaff and dig it up- easy enough.

So many, many places in America to play for, don't limit yourself to only those who are asking- do the asking. Division II would be a good fit, without
cutting in to the "adventure" side.

danielpreston
10-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I emailed High Point yesterday to say that I'm looking for a more academic outfit .... however I'm unlikely to get interest from another D1 outfit like HPU, I think.

tennis-n-sc
10-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Daniel, you sound as if you are making the rounds. Some schools to consider in High Point area might include UNC-Greensboro, USC-Spartanburg, Davidson, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Asheville, Winthrop, Wofford, and a ton of others. Just look up the tennis coach and send an e-mail or tennis/academic resume.

danielpreston
10-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Daniel, you sound as if you are making the rounds. Some schools to consider in High Point area might include UNC-Greensboro, USC-Spartanburg, Davidson, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Asheville, Winthrop, Wofford, and a ton of others. Just look up the tennis coach and send an e-mail or tennis/academic resume.

Yep tennis, I am. Shortlisted 10 colleges, one or two you mentioned above. Great minds th....!

Right now I'm doing nuffing except sulking in the corner until my golfer's elbow sorts out!

The thing I like about SC and NC is that it seems that there are a lot of colleges that play good tennis all fairly close by. No ultra long journeys to tournies etc. Am I right?

cghipp
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
I live a couple of hours from High Point and have never heard of that school. My husband is from that area; that area has never interested me much. I know some people who have played for Winthrop University and Limestone in SC and they have really enjoyed it. The Winthrop coach is a great guy - Sid Carvalho - and people just can't say enough about him.

danielpreston
10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I live a couple of hours from High Point and have never heard of that school. My husband is from that area; that area has never interested me much. I know some people who have played for Winthrop University and Limestone in SC and they have really enjoyed it. The Winthrop coach is a great guy - Sid Carvalho - and people just can't say enough about him.

That's the sort of posting that's really helpful. Cheers mate. Are their academics any good?

max
10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I think the proper English here is, "High Point University IS showing an interest to me"; no plural involved.

Sup2Dresq
10-10-2007, 08:40 AM
my cousin played for High Point. He graduated I believe 6-7 years ago. If you want I can introduce you to him via email... I'm sure he would like to help out his alumni.

cghipp
10-10-2007, 09:01 AM
That's the sort of posting that's really helpful. Cheers mate. Are their academics any good?I don't know a lot about Limestone's academics, but Winthrop is a good school. What are you thinking of studying?

cghipp
10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I think the proper English here is, "High Point University IS showing an interest to me"; no plural involved.In the UK, you would be incorrect. A team or organization is viewed as a plural entity, not a singular one.

danielpreston
10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
In the UK, you would be incorrect. A team or organization is viewed as a plural entity, not a singular one.

Do you mean I would be "correct"?

I'll let you American dudes battle out the grammar ... I'm gonna play tennis ... well soon when my elbow heals!

danielpreston
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't know a lot about Limestone's academics, but Winthrop is a good school. What are you thinking of studying?

Not decided yet, probably Mathematics, maybe combined with Economics

cghipp
10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Do you mean I would be "correct"?

I'll let you American dudes battle out the grammar ... I'm gonna play tennis ... well soon when my elbow heals!Yes, that is what I mean!

Nastase
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
High Point is an outstanding school in a nice town...and they are pouring tons of money into the campus. Worth a look.

jaggy
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I would strongly consider all your options, these guys can help:

http://www.firstpointusa.com/

JMS
11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
The head pro at my club, who was USTA teaching Pro of the year in NC this past year, played there.I would look into it