PDA

View Full Version : Thread for all Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA Pacific Northwest Tennis players!

hyogen
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I started this thread because the other PNW thread seems to be mainly for Seattle.

Perhaps we can use this forum to discuss our clubs here, tennis, maybe set up practice sessions, friendly matches, hitting partners, etc.

I've tried Craigslist, but more often then not most people don't seem to know what their NTRP rating is -_-

I'll start off by saying that I'll be a member very shortly at Portland Athletic Club...probably starting this Sunday.

I just played at Sunset Athletic Club for the Men's night yesterday: 6PM-11PM for $10.75. I plan on going to Vancouver Tennis Center on Tuesdays for Men's night 6PM-10PM on most Tuesdays with my Dad.

I've been playing a ton at the Rose Garden (near japanese gardens) outdoor courts, but of course it's too rainy now.

Portland, OR DAVIS CUP DETAILS: www.daviscup.com tickets available on the 15th of Oct.

For those that haven't gone to the site, here are the package prices for the Davis Cup final:

Category 1 - Fri/Sat/Sun - $600 (seats closest to the court on all four sides)

Category 2 - Fri/Sat/Sun - $420

Category 3 - Fri/Sat/Sun - $210

Category 4 - Fri/Sat/Sun - $90

This was posted by Jack the Hack. I think I'm gonna get a Category 4 for me and my gf. can't afford anything else -_-

Let the thread begin!

LuckyR
10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I play at Sunset for Men's morning (Saturdays), which is supposed to be 4.0 and up and you are supposed to have a partner set up, though I first went there without a partner and hooked up with a guy with whom I played doubles for a year. A good centrally located public facility would be the Portland Tennis Center on the east side.

Is the PAC on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy?

Do you know where the $420 seats are located? Do you know what time the Friday matches are?

hyogen
10-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I play at Sunset for Men's morning (Saturdays), which is supposed to be 4.0 and up and you are supposed to have a partner set up, though I first went there without a partner and hooked up with a guy with whom I played doubles for a year. A good centrally located public facility would be the Portland Tennis Center on the east side.

Do you know where the $420 seats are located? Do you know what time the Friday matches are?

yes, PAC is on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hway. Anyone have any review of that club? I don't know any other details about the seats or Davis cup...Only that tickets sell on the 15th.

UW_Husky88
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
yes, PAC is on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hway. Anyone have any review of that club? I don't know any other details about the seats or Davis cup...Only that tickets sell on the 15th.

I've been there, and its pretty nice. There are a lot of really good players that go there because they have some elite coaching going on there, but basically, its for people that can't afford/don't want to go to West Hills (not that thats a bad thing, but basically it and SAC are the next best thing to west hills)

hyogen
10-05-2007, 11:10 PM
wow, I can't say how much I love the Portland Athletic Club :)

They gave me a good deal on the membership too because I'll be working there part time too :D

i just hit with one of their pros and that was really helpful. One of the pros is an instructor at Nike tennis camp at the Nike campus in beaverton.

it was dead empty on a friday night (rare they say) but i liked it cuz I got to hit with my friend a lot... I can see myself there like 4 times a week or more. woot!

Noveson
10-05-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm going to be at the Davis Cup! And Hyogen whose the pro that is at the NIke tennis camp? I went there. My sister runs track at OSU.

hyogen
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Ah, well the pro's name is....Charles something. He says they know him as "Chaz" at the Nike tennis camps.

I'm going to the group lessons on Thursday night from 8-10PM. 1 hr is $10, 2 hrs. is $15...I'm pretty sure only for members though...

I'll be working there part time to pay for my membership ;) (www.portlandathleticclub.net)

It probably sounds like i'm trying to market for them or something, but I'm just really excited to have found the place. It is kinda hidden on Beaverton Hillsdale Hway...I have driven past it without noticing it many times. Has 2 grass (carpet) courts outdoors...and I'm gonna be working there part time so I have to pay employee discounted price!!!! woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, Charles turns out to be an arrogant pr*ck who starts treating you differently when you tell him you can't afford to take tennis lessons right now. yep, he's one of the pro's at PAC. Apparently he does Nike summer camps too.

Jack the Hack
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Lucky,

Here is a seat map:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_19596.pdf

And the matches start at 1:00 PM (PST) on Friday:

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100008940

The USTA member presale this morning sold out in less than 30 minutes. However, the Comcast person I spoke to said that 3/4ths of the seats were still available and would go on sale next Monday.

Noveson
10-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Lucky,

Here is a seat map:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_19596.pdf

And the matches start at 1:00 PM (PST) on Friday:

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100008940

The USTA member presale this morning sold out in less than 30 minutes. However, the Comcast person I spoke to said that 3/4ths of the seats were still available and would go on sale next Monday.

what the heck? Are tickets seriously that much? Wow, I was planning on going. Nevermind then. How are they that expensive? That's insane.

hyogen
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Alas, I probably sounded like a recruiter for Portland Athletic Club my last couple days...well, I was rudely informed yesterday that what I had thought and understood from talking to someone there was completely untrue. I had asked the person multiple times of the details, but in front of the owner she completely threw me under the bus...and flat out lied about what she said. The owner turned out to be quite the arrogant pLick...saying that "it's expensive to keep the lights on"....so I replied, "aren't the lights on even when no one is playing there?" And he goes, "NO, we turn them off when people aren't on the courts..." His attitude and body language was so disgusting to me-- but what can you do? He owns the place..

B.S. I've been there for 4 days now...Friday Night, Saturday, Sunday--and it has been mainly DEAD.

I still ended up joining because I think I'll get my moneys worth...but that was the friggin point--trying to work there to pay for my membership--cuz that extra money doesn't come easy when I have a ton of bills bills bills...

I'll be working there 4 hours a month.......at minimum "wage" in order to pay $50 from my own pocket instead of the $85.

Wow...sad, but I did it because even that deal is good enough for me to keep on playing tennis throughout the winter.

Anyways, didn't mean to badmouth anything or anyone....but it was a shocking and extremely frustrating experience especially because they told me my good friend could do the same thing (work to pay for membership and not pay).....so I brought my friend and I ended up having to feel really bad and apologize for "misrelaying info"... ugh.

LuckyR
10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
what the heck? Are tickets seriously that much? Wow, I was planning on going. Nevermind then. How are they that expensive? That's insane.

Dude, that's for a 3 day pass, not for a single ticket.

Noveson
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Dude, that's for a 3 day pass, not for a single ticket.

Haha oh my bad, I'm used to basketball and football games. Hm so where can you get 1 day tickets, or 2? Can you get match specific tickets?

hyogen
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
You have to buy the 3 day pass. there is no single ticket sales. Maybe you can get one from a scalper? I doubt it though...

hasema
10-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I have 3 210 dollar tickets. 70 bucks still seems excessive. I think with all the "fees" it came to 240 bucks. I got in the presale because i'm a usta member. I hope my seats turn out decent. They didn't assign seats when i made my purchase.

I play at green meadows in vancouver. There tennis program isn't the greatest but they have 7 indoor courts and I can play pretty much whenever i want. We have a good range of players between 3.0- 4.5

The downside is that it costs around 115 per month for a single membership.

hyogen
10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah i've been there...thought about joining but the start up fee is big and it's too much per month :(

I would do it if I counted as a family membership with my dad, but I'm over 21yrs old.... :-/

hyogen
10-18-2007, 03:51 PM
i ended up joining PAC anyways. -_-

I'm not gonna work there though.

Anyone need stringing for cheap in the Portland, Vancouver area? Anyone coming to the Sunset athletic club today for Men's night?

hyogen
10-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Sampras vs. Courier Miracle Match - Rose Quarter TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW (ONLINE)

http://www.travelportland.com/event_calendar/index.html?EventID=6472

Tennis legends Pete Sampras and Jim Courier will participate in the Sampras vs. Courier Miracle Match Tour to be played at the Memorial Coliseum on November 9, 2007.

EVENT DAY(S):
11/09/07

One Center Court, next to the Rose Garden
Portland, OR 97227

HOURS:
7 p.m.

PHONE:

ADMISSION/TICKETS:
$150, $65, $40 & $20; prices do not include service charges. $150 courtside tickets include admission to meet and greet with Pete Sampras and Jim Courier.

OK SO WHOS GOING?

LuckyR
10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
i ended up joining PAC anyways. -_-

I'm not gonna work there though.

Anyone need stringing for cheap in the Portland, Vancouver area? Anyone coming to the Sunset athletic club today for Men's night?

I usually play at Men's morning, I'll be there next on the 27th.

LuckyR
10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Sampras vs. Courier Miracle Match - Rose Quarter TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW (ONLINE)

http://www.travelportland.com/event_calendar/index.html?EventID=6472

Tennis legends Pete Sampras and Jim Courier will participate in the Sampras vs. Courier Miracle Match Tour to be played at the Memorial Coliseum on November 9, 2007.

EVENT DAY(S):
11/09/07

One Center Court, next to the Rose Garden
Portland, OR 97227

HOURS:
7 p.m.

PHONE:

ADMISSION/TICKETS:
$150, $65, $40 & $20; prices do not include service charges. $150 courtside tickets include admission to meet and greet with Pete Sampras and Jim Courier.

OK SO WHOS GOING?

I'd pay that to see Sampras/Fed. Exhibition matches are usually of poor quality IMO.

whichmachine?
10-20-2007, 06:16 AM
hyogen,

Just wondering how PAC treating you. Two years ago I got my son who was 14 at the time a membership there so he could take lessons there since the PTC had no lessons available at his level of play anymore. We stopped going there after about 6 months for 2 reasons: he was not using the facility enough to justify the membership and because of the arrogance of the owner. We now have a PTC membership and my son has been taking lesson out at THPRD. I know of other people who quit the club because of the arrogance of the owner.

With PTC membership rates increasing I have thought about looking into PAC again but until there is a change in ownership, I cannot see going back. Let me know how things are going.

hyogen
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
hyogen,

Just wondering how PAC treating you. Two years ago I got my son who was 14 at the time a membership there so he could take lessons there since the PTC had no lessons available at his level of play anymore. We stopped going there after about 6 months for 2 reasons: he was not using the facility enough to justify the membership and because of the arrogance of the owner. We now have a PTC membership and my son has been taking lesson out at THPRD. I know of other people who quit the club because of the arrogance of the owner.

With PTC membership rates increasing I have thought about looking into PAC again but until there is a change in ownership, I cannot see going back. Let me know how things are going.

I know what you mean. I really do. I chose not to rant about it because I barely became a member there paying full price. This was after a long and ******** miscommunicated ordeal about getting discounted price and working for them. The owner has not changed. Let's just say I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

Hasn't changed for like 40 years? yeah... the one good thing though is cheap membership initiation fee ($25-50) instead of like $400 at sunset or other places. $85/mo...but seriously a whole LOT of the time the courts are dead empty. And you can reserve any time--for that alone it's worth it for me.

How much is PTC membership? I know that usually their courts are always booked.

whichmachine?
10-22-2007, 05:39 AM
Membership rates at PTC is $60/month or $660/13 months if paid in advance. I got a membership for my son and I last year at St Johns and since St Johns closes during the summer, I got an additional 3 months on top of that. Not sure if they are still throwing the 3 months into the membership if you sign up at St Johns. PTC is booked a lot during prime time but you can still get court time. You can sign up for court time 3 days in advance and can use their ball machine without an additional charge. They also have mixers that are getting more popular since the weather has turned but if you sign up early there should not be a problem getting in.

Anyway, got my tickets to both the Sampras match and to the Davis Cup. Consider myself lucky to get the Davis Cup tickets. Tried and did not get during the USTA pre-sale but scored some during the public sale. Amazing how fast they all went. Kind of show how tennis starved we are in Portland. Wonder how much scalping is going on. Should have gotten my limit of 8 when I had my chance.

LuckyR
10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Membership rates at PTC is $60/month or $660/13 months if paid in advance. I got a membership for my son and I last year at St Johns and since St Johns closes during the summer, I got an additional 3 months on top of that. Not sure if they are still throwing the 3 months into the membership if you sign up at St Johns. PTC is booked a lot during prime time but you can still get court time. You can sign up for court time 3 days in advance and can use their ball machine without an additional charge. They also have mixers that are getting more popular since the weather has turned but if you sign up early there should not be a problem getting in.

Anyway, got my tickets to both the Sampras match and to the Davis Cup. Consider myself lucky to get the Davis Cup tickets. Tried and did not get during the USTA pre-sale but scored some during the public sale. Amazing how fast they all went. Kind of show how tennis starved we are in Portland. Wonder how much scalping is going on. Should have gotten my limit of 8 when I had my chance.

The current Internet scalper price for: $90 three day pass: $500

And for $420 three day's worth of single tickets (no passes available) is $2000

hyogen
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
wow...will ppl actually pay that?

some people that I know that called and tried to get tickets 1 hour after they were available were put on a waiting list. yesterday they were called and given an opportunity to buy..........they declined b/c they had opted for the Sampras/Courier match.... LOL.....

CanadianChic
10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll be in Van in the spring and would love to meet some forum members. I'll bug you all for info before my next trip.

hyogen
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I'll be in Van in the spring and would love to meet some forum members. I'll bug you all for info before my next trip.

vancouver, washington? cool :)

CanadianChic
10-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Nope, Vancouver B.C. but more than likely I'll spend some time driving around. I almost always cross the border when I'm in the area.

whichmachine?
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Just wondering where other forum members play in the Portland/Vancouver area and their thoughts about their courts. I do not belong to any private club but did pay for a membership at PTC/SJRC. I have been playing about 2-3 times a week; with a group at SJRC and at mixers during the weekend. Once in awhile I reserve the ball machine when I am not working during the week and have not had a problem getting courts. Pretty happy with court availability and play.

hyogen
10-24-2007, 03:04 PM
PAC is my first membership to a tennis court. one thing I can say about it is it has AWESOME availability of courts. Like unheard of in my opinion.
There are 5 indoor and they're pretty well lit and clean. Another good thing is the joining/startup fee is small--like $25-$50. This means you can just quit in the summer and join back up in the winter when it starts raining ;)

whichmachine?
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Hyogen,
Any mixers at PAC? If there is what is the level of play? When my son was a member about 2 or 3 years ago, the roof had a few leaks. Did they fix that? Also, are you taking lessons from somebody there? Have any recommendations for lessons and how much do they charge?

hyogen
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
doesn't seem like there are any leaks there--although there are some small water stains on the courts I think..

No recommendations for lessons --although I've seen a few good pros there. And there is this guy named Charles (chaz) that teaches at the Nike tennis camps on Nike campus. he's a pro at PAC. 1hour private lesson = $50/hr flat charge regardless of the pro I think. The group lessons are like $10/hr...$15/2 hours. not bad... I'm not sure if there is mixers, but I know there is ladies night...and I go to the saturday Men's day, and the Wednesday Mens night. The level I would say is about 3.5-4.0+ It's not bad at all and I don't think there are really any 3.0 players that play there at least at those nights/days.

in fact, I don't think i've seen any 3.0 players at all...I'm probably the closest thing to a 3.0 player :p

You can see my strokes and stuff - http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161310

and there are a couple other links to my threads you can visit from there.

hyogen
10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
ok, so the nike tennis pro there...is giving me a sarcastic and patronizing attitude and treating me very differently from when I first started to get to know him ever since I didn't make a couple of his group lessons and letting him know that at the moment I could not afford it at all--could barely make the $85/mo membership. To his credit he said he would try to work things out so I could afford it better--like discount it or whatever...But still all I can say is...wow, good business practice bud...

What really breaks the camels back is.............

so I tell him it's hard playing with my new racquet--extremely small headsize--that I can't really get any spin/topspin on the ball.

i.prestige mid XL (93sq inch).

He tells me....no, it's EASIER to get topspin with a smaller head....

Does he think I'm a ******?

please tell me he's right and I'll start taking lessons from him as soon as I have the money...

Jack the Hack
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
hyogen,

From the other thread, here's my answer to your question about where I play (and a bit of my background):

From '95 to the end of '01, I lived in Beaverton over by Murray Hill. When I first moved to the area, I was a member of a tennis club over across the street from Jesuit high school. I don't remember the name of that place, but I guess it doesn't matter because they ended up tearing up the indoor tennis courts and making it into an indoor soccer club not long after I joined there.

I then spent a season at the University of Portland as a volunteer assistant coach, and I was able to use the indoor courts there pretty much whenever I wanted (and play the guys from the team). This opportunity opened up because I used to play college tennis for a small school in Texas and I worked for their athletic department for a couple years. Anyway, in the fall of '96, I was working for UPS down on Swan Island running the call center there (as an IT guy), and I decided to walk around the UP campus one day during lunch. I didn't even know they had a tennis team, but was impressed when I ran across UP's tennis facility. It made me feel nostalgic about my college tennis days, and I wrote a letter to the head coach the next day asking if he needed any help. Apparently, he called the athletic director of the school I used to work for and the AD gave a glowing recommendation about me... so the coach let me help him run practices, string racquets, and travel on a few trips.

Portland made a coaching change after that season (another long story there), so I then ended up coaching the boys team at Century High School in Hillsboro for a couple seasons. That's how I know about Nunnenkamp and Calkins (Jesuit was in our district). During that time, I mostly played at Tualatin Hills... although I did play for VTC's 4.5 team around then (we made it to the local area finals both years I was on the team). I also taught tennis lessons on a part time basis at the Portland Jewish Community Center for awhile.

In '99, I finished my masters degree and my son was born. I resigned at Century, but was offered the head coaching job at Catlin Gabel High School shortly thereafter. I ended up turning the offer down... and I've always wondered what would have happened with my tennis career as Catlin had some good talent at the time and won a bunch of state championships in those following years. However, my "real" job is in Information Technology, and my career in that field took off after that year. (I did work briefly for the USTA in early '00, but retreated quickly back to my IT job because the money was SO MUCH better... and there was no future at the USTA.)

From '99 to the end of '00, I was also a member of the Eastmoreland Racquet Club. I joined there because they have the only clay courts in the Portland area, and I wanted to learn how to play on clay. It took me over a year, but I finally got wins over all of the best clay court players at the club. I still love playing on that stuff! I was also a member of the 4.5 team there, and we made it to the local area finals again.

At the end of '00, I got really burned out of tennis. Between all the coaching, teaching, league play, and tournaments, I had enough. Besides, I was dragging my wife and young son all over the place playing Open tournaments to chase a ranking, and it just wasn't worth it. At the same time, the economy took a dump because of the tech crash, and I needed to focus on my "real" job in order to keep my career going.

Anyway, I ended up coming back to tennis at the end of '04 because I had gained about 50 lbs and realized I was on my way to a heart attack. After playing for only a few weeks, I entered a couple tournaments, losing in the semifinals. As it turned out, both guys I lost to were rated 4.0 at the time (but got bumped up to 4.5 in the ratings that November). However, I guess that was enough for the USTA computer to spit me out as a 4.0 (which initially ****ed me off because I hadn't been that low since high school).

To make a long story short, I live almost 40 miles outside of Portland now, up north on the Washington side. We bought a house up off of the Columbia river on two acres and we're kind of in the country. I work from my home office for a software company in California. I play most often at VTC, which is about a 30 minute drive from my place. I've played all of the tournaments there for the past three years, and won the 4.5 Grand Prix this year. Since the USTA computer has me listed at 4.0, I've played the past two years for Glendoveer (which rules the 4.0 division in Portland). We've gone to Sectionals two years in a row, and I was 14-0 in singles this year. I also played for VTC's 4.5 team, and based on my record, I expect to get bumped to 4.5 in the computer when the ratings come out next month.

I wouldn't mind hitting with you sometime, but it would take a drive (for me) in order to get together. The best bet would probably be if we ran into each other at one of those VTC men's nights... although, I haven't played at one for awhile. I mostly show up on Wednesday nights for the 4.5+ session, but that has been weak in the past few months since the tournaments and USTA season ended.

hyogen
10-31-2007, 01:42 PM
hyogen,

From the other thread, here's my answer to your question about where I play (and a bit of my background):

From '95 to the end of '01, I lived in Beaverton over by Murray Hill. When I first moved to the area, I was a member of a tennis club over across the street from Jesuit high school. I don't remember the name of that place, but I guess it doesn't matter because they ended up tearing up the indoor tennis courts and making it into an indoor soccer club not long after I joined there.

Ah, yes...it's right next to Bally (the soccerplex)...a low down dirty shame they turned it into a soccerplex.

I then spent a season at the University of Portland as a volunteer assistant coach, and I was able to use the indoor courts there pretty much whenever I wanted (and play the guys from the team). This opportunity opened up because I used to play college tennis for a small school in Texas and I worked for their athletic department for a couple years. Anyway, in the fall of '96, I was working for UPS down on Swan Island running the call center there (as an IT guy)

haha, I applied at that place to become an outside sales rep before

, and I decided to walk around the UP campus one day during lunch. I didn't even know they had a tennis team, but was impressed when I ran across UP's tennis facility. It made me feel nostalgic about my college tennis days, and I wrote a letter to the head coach the next day asking if he needed any help. Apparently, he called the athletic director of the school I used to work for and the AD gave a glowing recommendation about me... so the coach let me help him run practices, string racquets, and travel on a few trips.

Portland made a coaching change after that season (another long story there), so I then ended up coaching the boys team at Century High School in Hillsboro for a couple seasons. That's how I know about Nunnenkamp and Calkins (Jesuit was in our district). During that time, I mostly played at Tualatin Hills... although I did play for VTC's 4.5 team around then (we made it to the local area finals both years I was on the team). I also taught tennis lessons on a part time basis at the Portland Jewish Community Center for awhile.

Do you remember Bill Dollar? Or the coach after him....gah, I can't remember his name--he was my history teacher as well. Bill Dollar was the coach at Sprague High School around the time of Calkins I believe

In '99, I finished my masters degree and my son was born. I resigned at Century, but was offered the head coaching job at Catlin Gabel High School shortly thereafter. I ended up turning the offer down... and I've always wondered what would have happened with my tennis career as Catlin had some good talent at the time and won a bunch of state championships in those following years. However, my "real" job is in Information Technology, and my career in that field took off after that year. (I did work briefly for the USTA in early '00, but retreated quickly back to my IT job because the money was SO MUCH better... and there was no future at the USTA.)

I happen to be a pretty dang good IT reseller here...at Zones. e-mail me if you want more info hyogen@hotmail.com--I can save you $ and provide good service and have been at it for 1.5 years so far--going strong. Ah...I'll try to close you when I meet you in person to play :P

From '99 to the end of '00, I was also a member of the Eastmoreland Racquet Club. I joined there because they have the only clay courts in the Portland area, and I wanted to learn how to play on clay. It took me over a year, but I finally got wins over all of the best clay court players at the club. I still love playing on that stuff! I was also a member of the 4.5 team there, and we made it to the local area finals again.

I've never played on clay, but look forward to playing on carpet/artificial grass stuff at the outdoor PAC courts

At the end of '00, I got really burned out of tennis. Between all the coaching, teaching, league play, and tournaments, I had enough. Besides, I was dragging my wife and young son all over the place playing Open tournaments to chase a ranking, and it just wasn't worth it. At the same time, the economy took a dump because of the tech crash, and I needed to focus on my "real" job in order to keep my career going.

Anyway, I ended up coming back to tennis at the end of '04 because I had gained about 50 lbs and realized I was on my way to a heart attack. After playing for only a few weeks, I entered a couple tournaments, losing in the semifinals. As it turned out, both guys I lost to were rated 4.0 at the time (but got bumped up to 4.5 in the ratings that November). However, I guess that was enough for the USTA computer to spit me out as a 4.0 (which initially ****ed me off because I hadn't been that low since high school).

I've never been rated but I think I'm starting to play more and more like a 4.0. I am striving to become as best as I can be--hopefully even 5.5 someday...

To make a long story short, I live almost 40 miles outside of Portland now, up north on the Washington side. We bought a house up off of the Columbia river on two acres and we're kind of in the country. I work from my home office for a software company in California. I play most often at VTC, which is about a 30 minute drive from my place. I've played all of the tournaments there for the past three years, and won the 4.5 Grand Prix this year. Since the USTA computer has me listed at 4.0, I've played the past two years for Glendoveer (which rules the 4.0 division in Portland). We've gone to Sectionals two years in a row, and I was 14-0 in singles this year. I also played for VTC's 4.5 team, and based on my record, I expect to get bumped to 4.5 in the computer when the ratings come out next month.

Wow, those are nice scores/rankings...I'm sure you will give me and my tennis game a nice walloping

I wouldn't mind hitting with you sometime, but it would take a drive (for me) in order to get together. The best bet would probably be if we ran into each other at one of those VTC men's nights... although, I haven't played at one for awhile. I mostly show up on Wednesday nights for the 4.5+ session, but that has been weak in the past few months since the tournaments and USTA season ended.

I actually live in Battleground, WA right off Padden Parkway near the Costco/Freddies...so not quite as far as VTC (but close). We can play there or at battleground high school or whatever... VTC men's night is on Tuesdays 6-10PM I believe--maybe 9PM... we can try to contact each other and meet there. That'd be awesome :D So when's the next time you think you'll be down here and wanting to play? I played outdoors in Vancouver this past Sunday cuz the weather was so nice...I bet there are a couple of more of those kinds of days left here in Portland area. E-mail me your # please or AIM screenname

Jack the Hack
11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I actually live in Battleground, WA right off Padden Parkway near the Costco/Freddies...so not quite as far as VTC (but close). We can play there or at battleground high school or whatever... VTC men's night is on Tuesdays 6-10PM I believe--maybe 9PM... we can try to contact each other and meet there. That'd be awesome :D So when's the next time you think you'll be down here and wanting to play? I played outdoors in Vancouver this past Sunday cuz the weather was so nice...I bet there are a couple of more of those kinds of days left here in Portland area. E-mail me your # please or AIM screenname

So you live in Battle Ground, but are a member at PAC?

I hope you work near PAC or something because that is a pretty decent drive through some heavy traffic areas from BG. If you don't have another reason to be down in the Beaverton area, I think I would have joined VTC. It's closer to your house, cheaper, has more activities, and has a lot more players... and I think they may have been looking for part-time staff for the front desk recently so you could possibly get extra money and a free membership.

Battle Ground isn't actually that far from where I live. I'm only about 10-15 miles or so north of you, although closer to I-5.

In case you didn't see it in the other post, I just sent you an e-mail. I can probably hit this upcoming Sunday down in the Vancouver area.

hyogen
11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
hey Jack . my name is Justin. Sunday morning should work--9Am or whatever. I'll reply to your e-mail tomorrow--just got back from Sunset...was there from 6PM to 11PM...haha playing at men's night. Was very very fun.

I have a membership at PAC b/c I work in the Pearl. even in traffic it only takes like 15minutes to get there...and my friend who i play with all the time works close to there too.

that's interesting...i might look into working at VTC...

hyogen
11-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey Jack!

Thanks again for playing....and for giving me the good walloping.

He bagel'd me the first two sets and then I got one game...6-1....LOL

I had trouble seeing the ball getting up so early and not getting enough sleep the previous night :( One game I remember being up 40-love and he came back and won the game -_-

I can see why he's at least a 4.5 or better player. He seemed to not have any weak spots in his game.

Thanks again Jack :) I'll try to get in better shape/condition before I call you again -_-

Jack the Hack
11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey Jack!

Thanks again for playing....and for giving me the good walloping.

He bagel'd me the first two sets and then I got one game...6-1....LOL

I had trouble seeing the ball getting up so early and not getting enough sleep the previous night :( One game I remember being up 40-love and he came back and won the game -_-

I can see why he's at least a 4.5 or better player. He seemed to not have any weak spots in his game.

Thanks again Jack :) I'll try to get in better shape/condition before I call you again -_-

Justin,

Thanks again for playing on Sunday. Don't worry about the scores... we were just two guys playing in a park, and none of it really matters.

I thought you had a fundamentally sound forehand and your serve wasn't too bad. The main thing I was doing was mixing up the spins and pace to your backhand, and you gave me a lot of errors on that side. I think if you keep working on that stroke and play more matches (with a variety of opponents), your game will improve quite a bit.

Cheers,

~ Jack

hyogen
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
i played again yesterday with my friend who is about 4.0. Man I'm falling apart. Might be the lack of enough sleep, but... I'm getting some tennis elbow and stuff too. better go to softer and looser string.

I kinda miss my FXP prestige team now.... :'( I wish I didn't play better on different days/times with different racquets.

circusmouse
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd like to add myself to this little Portland group. I'm a PTC member, 4.0 player. I prefer singles but I'm learning to play doubles. Other PTC members, feel free to message me if you want to hit.

circusmouse
11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Nope, Vancouver B.C. but more than likely I'll spend some time driving around. I almost always cross the border when I'm in the area.

Portland's a long way from Vancouver BC. About seven hours. But if you're coming to town in the Spring, post something in this thread. Maybe we can use it as an excuse for a gathering. Of course, the weather may not be cooperative.

LuckyR
11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I'd like to add myself to this little Portland group. I'm a PTC member, 4.0 player. I prefer singles but I'm learning to play doubles. Other PTC members, feel free to message me if you want to hit.

What is your weekday availability?

hyogen
11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
that sounds cheap enough.. $5 for guest fee at PSU. hope to play soon circus mouse!

Noveson
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey do any of you guys go to the MAC?

circusmouse
11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
What is your weekday availability?

I'm typically done with work by 2:30 and can be at PTC for the 3:30 slots.

circusmouse
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
that sounds cheap enough.. $5 for guest fee at PSU. hope to play soon circus mouse!

I think that's the rate for guests of PSU gym members. The problem with PSU is that the courts are often reserved and it's hard to know what the reservation schedule is like more than a day or so in advance. I know the club has the courts Tuesday and Wednesday from 7-9 and Friday from 4-7, and there are also classes and the team, but I'm not exactly sure about those times. I'll look into getting the schedule from someone there. My schedule is pretty open if I've got advance notice. Whats yours like?

hyogen
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
got a time consuming girlfriend...and a pretty regular hitting partner for weekdays... mens day on saturdays, mens night on thursdays...mens night at PAC on wednesdays...lol

I'm done with work at 5...i work near downtown.

pretty much I could be free on Saturdays or Sundays I think...

LuckyR
11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey do any of you guys go to the MAC?

Only to pound their USTA team.

LuckyR
11-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm typically done with work by 2:30 and can be at PTC for the 3:30 slots.

So no tennis before work?

Noveson
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Only to pound their USTA team.

Haha really? I've been there a few times with one of my friends to play some basketball. Never actually played there.

circusmouse
11-14-2007, 07:59 AM
So no tennis before work?

Unfortunately not. I have to be at work at 8, which is when the first PTC time slots end.

LuckyR
11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Haha really? I've been there a few times with one of my friends to play some basketball. Never actually played there.

Something tells me the best B-ball Portland has to offer isn't happening at the MAC...

Now the best scones... maybe...

LuckyR
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately not. I have to be at work at 8, which is when the first PTC time slots end.

Darn! Weekday evenings for me are all about soccer practice and homework. How about Sundays at 0800?

circusmouse
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Darn! Weekday evenings for me are all about soccer practice and homework. How about Sundays at 0800?

So long as I'm not going out Saturday night, yes. Send me a message if you want to hit sometime. I don't really want to advertise my email address on the board.

firstservethenvolley
11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm from the SE Portland area. Anyone else from this area ?

hyogen
11-25-2007, 12:03 AM
so clackamas area? (first serve then volley)

circusmouse I'm back from Cali. can you hit tomorrow? Sunday--just reserve a court time if you can--call me up if you would like to play. thanks

firstservethenvolley
11-25-2007, 04:15 PM
No, i'm from around Woodstock. It's about 5-6 miles from clackamas area. Where are you ?

junbug
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
there any 4.0's that want to hit when the weather improves? i could use a workout.

hyogen
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
jun, is that you? this is Justin

hahaha. I'm back, but I am sick.

hyogen
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
No, i'm from around Woodstock. It's about 5-6 miles from clackamas area. Where are you ?

i'm in vancouver, but my club is in beaverton (Portland Athletic Club)

junbug
11-30-2007, 03:36 AM
who wants to workout with a wrong handed player when this weather improves? perhaps we can all get together for some 4.0 mixers at PTC or st johns friday or sunday nights. reservations required first come first serve.

hyogen
11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
haha Jun, you are ignoring me :o hello?!?!

junbug
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
excuse me sir...i'm not :razz:

hyogen
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
so Jun, if you are wanting to trade the racquets back...your 2 radical OS's for my Prestige Team back, I am willing.

I don't think I like playing with oversize racquets...hehehe.

so if you're willing, let's do it.

hyogen
12-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Hey LuckyR, do you go to the Mens Night on Thursday nights? I almost always go and I almost always stay from 6 to 11PM! I have played with and have become friends with several people there including Joey who works there, Victor, David, Phillip, and several people I can't remember their names..

I'm the funny lookin asian guy that is always clad in Nike tennis clothes and bandana or headband...haha. like 5 different racquets in my bag (demos) are a dead giveaway too.

hyogen
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM

i see.. I work in downtown portland (the pearl), and live in vancouver, wa. My club is in beaverton (Portland Athletic Club)

Circusmouse, lets meet soon! I'll give you a call/text msg so we can play this weekend possibly. Can you reserve a court for us either at PTC or PSU? Sunday is preferred. Maybe you can come play at Men's Day on Saturday at 1PM at Portland Athletic Club. I can get you a free guest pass :)

Or if you can come to mens night (tonight)--Wednesdays from 5PM to 9PM or so

hyogen
12-05-2007, 09:20 AM
who wants to workout with a wrong handed player when this weather improves? perhaps we can all get together for some 4.0 mixers at PTC or st johns friday or sunday nights. reservations required first come first serve.

how much would that cost? where in st. johns? between downtown and Jantzen beach right? Doesn't it cost $25/hour per court at PTC?

Circusmouse might be able to get it a little cheaper if he comes since he's a member.

LuckyR
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey LuckyR, do you go to the Mens Night on Thursday nights? I almost always go and I almost always stay from 6 to 11PM! I have played with and have become friends with several people there including Joey who works there, Victor, David, Phillip, and several people I can't remember their names..

I'm the funny lookin asian guy that is always clad in Nike tennis clothes and bandana or headband...haha. like 5 different racquets in my bag (demos) are a dead giveaway too.

No, my daughter's homework is due on Firdays so Thursday nights don't work for me. Let me know if you are up for Sat mornings (4.0 and above doubles), since you need a set partner.

hyogen
12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey Lucky, I may be able to do that, but I don't htink my volleying skills are up to 4.0 ability. especially when I'm using a flexy TE friendly racquet.

LuckyR
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey Lucky, I may be able to do that, but I don't htink my volleying skills are up to 4.0 ability. especially when I'm using a flexy TE friendly racquet.

Many places around town there are 4.0 singles players who barely know what a volley is, due the demise of the S&V game. However at Sunset, the Saturday group has a number of, say more mature folks who are very good traditional doubles players, although if your serve and groundies are solid you might fit in quite nicely and do well with the right partner. Let me know what you think...

hyogen
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I'll talk to the guy that works there and see if he'll let me play while paying the guest fee there on saturdays. I'm already playing as a guest for mens' night on thursdays.

junbug
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
justin,
if you want to that's fine with me. you might like the racquet now since it's strung a little looser.

hyogen
12-06-2007, 02:53 PM
your two Radical OS's have been newly strung as well - one of them cost me $30!! because I had someone else do it for me while I was playing at a club...hehe

I'll give the racquets one last go today...and will give you a call. -_-

junbug
12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
justin,
try letting the racket do the work for you instead of you doing the work.

junbug
12-06-2007, 03:27 PM
one more thing. go to tennistour.org . there's a forum for all of us portland/vancouver players.

hyogen
12-06-2007, 11:14 PM
hmm interesting. thanks for trading back. i guess it's a good trade for both of us either way...

we'll definitely have to hit this weekend. circus mouse, lets try to hit THIS weekend! i'll give you a call

junbug
12-07-2007, 11:55 PM
by the way, i got the stringing machine for $100 from someone who lives in monroe...just north of junction city on hwy 99W. a prince P200. the machine is still in great working condition.

diredesire
12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
by the way, i got the stringing machine for $100 from someone who lives in monroe...just north of junction city on hwy 99W. a prince P200. the machine is still in great working condition.

nice score! The P200 isn't a bad machine, but the tensioner can be a bit of a pain in the butt.

junbug
12-08-2007, 09:58 PM
i noticed that. but that's ok. i strung my first racket in 2 hours. not bad for someone who hasn't done it since 85. i had a drop weight back then. the P200 is not a bad machine at all. just needs lots of TLC.

hyogen
12-08-2007, 10:57 PM
sorry I couldn't return your call earlier today. maybe tennis tomorrow? I might play with circusmouse

hyogen
12-10-2007, 01:29 AM
so a friend and his son that i met at sunset joined Portland Athletic Club . i expect to play with him quite often :o

i'm pretty sure he'll be keeping his membership at sunset too..lol

I think I'm gonna start going to the VTC men's nights

hyogen
12-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Apparently it's very hot to play indoors at PAC in the summers. I'll for sure quit my membership before then. They have a 3 month notice time. I can also put my account on hold for $15/mo.

junbug
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
there is someone looking for 4.5 players to form a USTA league team. interested players reply here . leave a contact phone # via PM.

hyogen
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I would be interested, but i'm not quite 4.5 yet....that's still a waays off. Is this for singles or doubles?

junbug
12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
well, if you stop outslugging everyone you play and focus a little more on your placement and control you can be a 4.5 easily

Jack the Hack
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
there is someone looking for 4.5 players to form a USTA league team. interested players reply here . leave a contact phone # via PM.

Junbug,

What club will this team be playing out of?

hyogen
12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
jack the hack, I'm playing much better now :D :D :D

I've settled on a racquet or two and my backhands are consistent and I like hitting a backhand even more than forehands.

Serves are stable as well. It should be more fun for you. I dunno if you checked out my tennis vid on youtube www.youtube.com/hyogen (the longer 2.5min clip).

Let's hit again sometime! It should be more fun for you this time. by the way I have some free passes at PAC, but u might not want to go down to Beaverton just to play.

junbug
12-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Junbug,

What club will this team be playing out of?

hello jack. the players are out of portland tennis center. but they might end up playing at st.john's . leave a contact no. where you can be reached. the team captain wants a few extra players just in case.

junbug
12-23-2007, 05:50 AM
what video? still needs to add variation in my opinion. hey i did try the microgel prestige. not any different from the team

firstservethenvolley
12-24-2007, 12:36 AM
junbug, I'm in the SE Woodstock Area. Could you please send me details of the club ? Please. I just don't know how the club system works.

firstservethenvolley
12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I registered but I can't see if I;m the first hundred or not. I sort of figured how to set up mathes and all. The site is cool though.

firstservethenvolley
12-24-2007, 03:32 PM
how do you add on portland tennis tour to my profile ?

firstservethenvolley
12-24-2007, 03:35 PM
It asks me to pay 30$ when I say , join the league.

junbug
12-24-2007, 05:02 PM
ok guys, 4.0 and over mixer sunday @ 6PM at st. john's racquet center. limited to first 12 who sign up.

hyogen
12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
what is the price? where is st. johns racquet center? near st. johns bridge?

thehustler
12-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Anybody in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area interested in playing? I'm looking for someone rated 4.0 to 4.5 to hit next week or the week after. I only do matches. No practice. I prefer singles. Let me know if you're interested.

junbug
12-25-2007, 06:24 AM
what is the price? where is st. johns racquet center? near st. johns bridge?

$10.00 great competition for 4.0 guys. there was even a girl who plays there last sunday. by the way, i signed you up. let me know if you can't make it so i can call and have you removed.

junbug
12-25-2007, 06:34 AM
st john's racquet center 7519 n burlington ave. it's located behind the starbucks on north lombard and burlington. 503 823 3629 . those players who prefer just singles need to come out so they can improve their serve and volley game.

firstservethenvolley
12-25-2007, 12:49 PM
It's snowing in Portland. woohoo.

hyogen
12-25-2007, 06:53 PM
st john's racquet center 7519 n burlington ave. it's located behind the starbucks on north lombard and burlington. 503 823 3629 . those players who prefer just singles need to come out so they can improve their serve and volley game.

ok i should be able to make it

junbug
12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
i went thorugh hood river and cascade locks today and it was snowing like it was a blizzard.

hyogen
12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
are we still on this sunday?

junbug
12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
yes we are!!

hyogen
12-31-2007, 07:29 AM
i called you to cancel. new years family thing came up :/ won't happen again.

junbug
12-31-2007, 03:07 PM
it was wide open last night...

hyogen
01-02-2008, 07:34 AM
so no one else showed up? :-/

junbug
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
guys sign ups are now being taken for new singles/doubles tennis league here in the portland metro area. tennis tour will begin it's season in the spring and run through the fall. check out tennistour.org for more details.

junbug
01-27-2008, 09:12 AM
i just heard that there are plans to add bubbles to the outdoor courts at PTC at a cost of $600K. mike stone said it should pay for itself in two years. the problem is where the money will come from? taxpayers? with the parks and rec dept budget going into a spiral that's kind of difficult. but don't you think adding a bubble is worth the investment since it rains (and snows at times)out here quite a bit. then the taxpayers wouldn't have to worry about the public investment sitting around for the whole winter not being used. i can definitely say the same thing for every outdoor tennis court whether it be in a public park or school. i've seen the damage those courts go through during the winter. wouldn't you agree?

junbug
02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
head coach for varsity girls tennis team. glencoe HS in hillsboro. has an immediate opening. call the high school athletic dept. for more information.

hyogen
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
i played at Glendoveer this past Sunday night. I play with a korean group there sometimes. just $7 for up to like 4.5 hours too. courts are pretty open.

LuckyR
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i just heard that there are plans to add bubbles to the outdoor courts at PTC at a cost of $600K. mike stone said it should pay for itself in two years. the problem is where the money will come from? taxpayers? with the parks and rec dept budget going into a spiral that's kind of difficult. but don't you think adding a bubble is worth the investment since it rains (and snows at times)out here quite a bit. then the taxpayers wouldn't have to worry about the public investment sitting around for the whole winter not being used. i can definitely say the same thing for every outdoor tennis court whether it be in a public park or school. i've seen the damage those courts go through during the winter. wouldn't you agree?

Huh? $600K in 2 years is a little under $2K per day... they're really going to have to increase their rates to hit that number...

junbug
02-17-2008, 07:09 AM
signups are now being taken. any takers?

hyogen
02-17-2008, 09:07 AM
circus mouse where are you?

i tried calling you yesterday jun. want to hit again today :o

hyogen
02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
junbug have you been going to the st johns mens nights on sundays? i mean...mixers.

I went to the Tuesday night 6PM-10PM VAncouver Tennis Center mens night...was really good. players were good and it was $14... kinda pricey.

their membership is a lot more reasonable than my membership at PAC.... $75 joining, $75/mo month-to-month. 30day notice for quitting.

mine is $50 joining, $85/month. 90day notice. :-/ the courts are bad, have water spots everywhere, is not level, and lighting is bad...BAD. I hear its an OVEN in the summer and of course in the winter it's really cold.

hyogen
02-21-2008, 09:15 AM
anyone here go to VTC mens nights?

junbug
02-23-2008, 05:55 PM
unfortunately, no. i go to bed real early. i have to leave for walla walla and tri cities at 3 AM every mon and wed.

junbug
02-25-2008, 01:05 AM
any evergreen HS alums here want to help the girls tennis team? they are a project this year.

hyogen
02-25-2008, 07:31 AM
gah, i kept calling you to play yesterday _-_

i still have your 2 radical racquet bags by the way.

junbug
03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
i've been on the road

junbug
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
all tennis players invited.
Good morning--

In our effort to keep our PTC/SJRC tennis players informed as well as others with an interest in Portland tennis, we have developed a significant e-mail base. If you do not wish to be included simply return this e-mail and request to be removed from the list. We never share your e-mail address. .
We have scheduled an important meeting this Saturday, March 8, 10 a.m., at East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Ave., Portland. The main agenda item will be formation of the Portland Parks Tennis Association (PPTA). This organization was recently reactivated through the State of Oregon and is now registered as a non-profit corporation as well as a USTA Community Tennis Association (CTA). On Saturday our first order of business will be selection of a Board of Directors and bylaws.
I encourage you to attend. Tennis needs to be represented in the City political discussion as we face issues such as limited court availability, closure of 3 of the outside courts at Portland Tennis Center due to deteriorating court surface, security concerns, plans for a "bubble" to cover additional courts at PTC and tennis court conditions through the City.
Please plan to attend or, if you have other plans, please e-mail me your comments to be presented at the meeting.
Thank you.

Mike Stone
Director, Portland Tennis Center/St. Johns Racquet Center

junbug
03-09-2008, 03:14 AM
well it looks like no one gives a damn about tennis in portland or do you?

diredesire
03-09-2008, 07:20 AM
anyone here go to VTC mens nights?

I went a while back, they're not bad.

hyogen
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
nice avatar. where do you play diredesire?

circusmouse, where are you? :o

junbug
03-29-2008, 10:07 AM
check this site out:
BakerCityGrassCourts.com
a description of the only grass court tennis facility in the pacific northwest.

diredesire
03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
nice avatar. where do you play diredesire?

circusmouse, where are you? :o

Used to play junior lessons at VTC, when I was really little, I played at Tualatin Hills. I'm in Seattle now, for school @ UW, but I'll be back in the summer for an internship at intel. Maybe i'll be spending some time with the Vancouver/Portland folks :)

junbug
03-30-2008, 03:01 PM
tennistour.org

Portland
Tennis Tour
May-August 15
Masters Cup Playoffs Sept
Portland Tennis League
Complete Draw to be Posted in April
No 1 Spots Available now

Welcome to the First Year of the Portland Tennis Tour

Free Lifetime Membership

Find a Tennis Parter
Portland Players looking for matches last three days

Welcome to the first season of the Portland Tennis Tour!
Jun Juachon is the Regional Tour Coordinator for Portland
Enter this first season and earn lifetime membership.
To Sign up: 1. Set Up Profile Start here | 2. Add on Portland Tennis Tour
Enjoy the tennis - Sign up Now for the 2008 Session - Find Out More about the Tour

uspta mp
04-09-2008, 01:19 AM
tennistour.org

Portland
Tennis Tour
May-August 15
Masters Cup Playoffs Sept
Portland Tennis League
Complete Draw to be Posted in April
No 1 Spots Available now

Welcome to the First Year of the Portland Tennis Tour

Free Lifetime Membership

Find a Tennis Parter
Portland Players looking for matches last three days

Welcome to the first season of the Portland Tennis Tour!
Jun Juachon is the Regional Tour Coordinator for Portland
Enter this first season and earn lifetime membership.
To Sign up: 1. Set Up Profile Start here | 2. Add on Portland Tennis Tour
Enjoy the tennis - Sign up Now for the 2008 Session - Find Out More about the Tour

good way to find partners ladies and gentlemen

uspta mp
04-12-2008, 05:26 AM
4.0+ over mixer today @ union high school 2PM!! who wants in? then confirm here and show up.

Noveson
04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
check this site out:
BakerCityGrassCourts.com
a description of the only grass court tennis facility in the pacific northwest.

Yeah I have been to those courts. They are insane, they are up on this hill by this guys huge house and it's like this big facility. 4 courts, a raised cement platform in the middle with seats, and towers overlooking all the courts.

junbug
04-20-2008, 08:25 AM
good way to find partners ladies and gentlemen

ok players few weeks away

junbug
08-31-2008, 08:42 AM
this thread has been silent for awhile....where has everyone been?

LuckyR
08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Trying to decide whether to gear up for summer heat or early spring-like cold...

ichibanosaru
09-03-2008, 01:09 AM
WOW - what a small world. I went to Jesuit High in Beaverton for two years. I also played at West Hills Racquet Club, Raleigh Hills Racquet Club as well as Cornell Court Club (I guess now known as Sunset Athletic Club). GREAT TIMES!!!

I also used to get my racquets strung at Seibol's Racquet Shop (Wayne and his brother, Bob?). Again, good times.

Take care!

PS - Whatever became of Coach Ted Watson?

hyogen
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
WOW - what a small world. I went to Jesuit High in Beaverton for two years. I also played at West Hills Racquet Club, Raleigh Hills Racquet Club as well as Cornell Court Club (I guess now known as Sunset Athletic Club). GREAT TIMES!!!

I also used to get my racquets strung at Seibol's Racquet Shop (Wayne and his brother, Bob?). Again, good times.

Take care!

i'm the asian guy that plays at sunset pretty much just on mens night ;)

LuckyR
09-03-2008, 08:44 AM

Take care!

That must be quite a commute from Honolulu...

ichibanosaru
09-04-2008, 09:22 PM
That must be quite a commute from Honolulu...

Ha ha - No, that was a while ago.

LuckyR
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Ha ha - No, that was a while ago.

Which was a while ago? Living in Hawaii or playing in Portland?

ichibanosaru
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Which was a while ago? Living in Hawaii or playing in Portland?

Ha ha - Again!

I haven't been in Portland for quite a while. 'Maybe someday soon...

Take care!

junbug
09-25-2008, 03:14 PM
wake up players!!

ichibanosaru
10-08-2008, 02:36 PM
wake up players!!

Ha ha - I remember back in the days when Tom Peterson would have TV commercials starting with him knocking on the screen saying, "Wake up! Wake up!" and then going into whatever was on sale at his stores. Is he still around?

junbug
10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
unfortunately not...

junbug
10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hyogen
10-24-2008, 12:50 PM
what time will the 4.0 mixer be?

hyogen
10-24-2008, 12:50 PM
junbug, I still have your 2 head radical trisys head covers that i need to give to you.

lancernrg
10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
I usually play at Benson High School right near the Portland Tennis Center.

It's pretty easy not to notice me, I am wearing a eyepatch and cast on my left arm.

LuckyR
10-24-2008, 03:28 PM
4.0+ mixer this sunday @ union high school in vancouver. we'll be there

Is this a regular meet? What time?

junbug
10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyy

hyogen
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
when was the meet anyways? lol

junbug
10-31-2008, 04:10 AM
it was cancelled

hyogen
10-31-2008, 07:23 AM
again....what time?

:X

junbug
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
4.0 + scheduled for next sunday the 23rd @ 130 . PSU stott center rooftop tennis courts. $10.00 pay at the locker room checkout counter at the basement level of the stott center.
http://www.meetup.com/portlandtennis/

junbug
11-23-2008, 06:06 AM
a few decent hitters this afternoon.

hyogen
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
yeah, i heard you were there. I almost went, but had to be in vancouver.

my friends hai, joey, and johnny were playing. i would give hai and johnny at least a 4.0 rating. their serves are more on the 3.5 level...while groundstrokes could keep up with 4.5s...

so when's the next time? i should be able to make it for next sunday.

lancernrg
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah, i heard you were there. I almost went, but had to be in vancouver.

my friends hai, joey, and johnny were playing. i would give hai and johnny at least a 4.0 rating. their serves are more on the 3.5 level...while groundstrokes could keep up with 4.5s...

so when's the next time? i should be able to make it for next sunday.

Oh cool, I know Hai and Joey lol. I rally with them sometimes. Hmm I would like to check out this meetup stuff but I am terribly shy...and I am a complete noob.:oops:

hyogen
11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh cool, I know Hai and Joey lol. I rally with them sometimes. Hmm I would like to check out this meetup stuff but I am terribly shy...and I am a complete noob.:oops:

i didn't by chance meet you a couple weeks ago did i? at PSU courts...we were playing king of the court. I was telling you to change your forehand grip to a more extreme grip... and i let you borrow a racquet when your string broke..

lancernrg
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
i didn't by chance meet you a couple weeks ago did i? at PSU courts...we were playing king of the court. I was telling you to change your forehand grip to a more extreme grip... and i let you borrow a racquet when your string broke..

Oh no that is not me, but I remember I was playing next to you guys that day. You might have seen two asian dudes walk in...I wore a white hat. :)

Is Hai or Joey on the forums?

hyogen
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh no that is not me, but I remember I was playing next to you guys that day. You might have seen two asian dudes walk in...I wore a white hat. :)

Is Hai or Joey on the forums?

joey is on the forums, but he only posts on the pro kennex vintage racquet threads. yes I did notice you guys...you guys hit well. I was gonna ask to hit, lol.

LuckyR
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
4.0 + scheduled for next sunday the 23rd @ 130 . PSU stott center rooftop tennis courts. $10.00 pay at the locker room checkout counter at the basement level of the stott center.

Is this a regular meet up? Are they indoor courts?

hyogen
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Is this a regular meet up? Are they indoor courts?

yes, they are indoor courts. i hope they can be regular meets. you pretty much can walk through the back entrance for free.

lucky, lets play soon. I'll try to make myself free the whole sunday so we can play. hyogen @ hot mail . com

i'm gonna play at sunset during lunchtime tomorrow.

junbug
11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
next one is dec. 7th @ 130 PSU stott center rooftop courts. there is a $10 fee to be paid at the locker room checkout counter at the basement level of the stott center. they will issue you a wrist band which is to be worn during the mixer. no if and or buts on this one. i'm providing the balls.
Learn more at http://www.meetup.com/portlandtennis/

hyogen
11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
i think i can make it. i'll bring you your radical os covers ...do you still want them? thanks jun

do you still have my number?

LuckyR
11-28-2008, 01:47 PM
yes, they are indoor courts. i hope they can be regular meets. you pretty much can walk through the back entrance for free.

lucky, lets play soon. I'll try to make myself free the whole sunday so we can play. hyogen @ hot mail . com

i'm gonna play at sunset during lunchtime tomorrow.

As I EMailed you, I am loOking at 0830 on Sunday (knowing the club opens at 0900, but we might get lucky and get in at 0830).

hyogen
11-28-2008, 07:15 PM
yep I will page you on saturday lucky r

junbug
11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
4.0 + scheduled for next sunday the 7th @ 130 . PSU stott center rooftop tennis courts. $10.00 pay at the locker room checkout counter at the basement level of the stott center.

just a reminder for those who are interested. RSVP for a spot on meetup.com

hyogen
12-04-2008, 08:55 AM

lol you're not a complete noob.

i was playing just okay last night. good to see you again. I'm liking my new rqis 2 tour with LOTS of lead on the handle.

junbug
12-05-2008, 06:28 PM
i will have some women that will give you a challenge. and they are good doubles players. which this meetup will be.

hyogen
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
i'm gonna take a break from tennis.

plantar fasciitis and my wrist injury OWNZ me. :-/

junbug
12-06-2008, 01:22 AM
2 spots still open for a 4.0 and over mixer if anyone is interested. PSU stott center 130 start time. go to http://www.meetup.com/portlandtennis/ for more details.

LuckyR
12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
i'm gonna take a break from tennis.

plantar fasciitis and my wrist injury OWNZ me. :-/

Dude, I have a court for Sunday at 0930, it you wanted to meet up at 0830 or so.

hyogen
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Dude, I have a court for Sunday at 0930, it you wanted to meet up at 0830 or so.

I'm pretty sure I can do it. so play from 8:30 to 9:30?

That's fine with me

hyogen
12-15-2008, 12:37 AM
thanks for the hit luckyr. i'll send you the link to the videos soon.

i'm guessing not many people showed up to the tennis meet at PSU today..

let's hit again sometime. i should be able to hit on most sunday mornings :D

junbug
12-26-2008, 04:40 AM
when the 4.0 meets there will

junbug
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
regarding potential budget cuts for tennis by the portland parks and rec dept.

Good morning everyone--
The following message (see below) from Portland Parks announces a budget hearing this coming Saturday.Tennis remains in danger of not receiving general funds for the 2009-2010 budget year. This is the first of a series of meetings prior to the City Council receiving the final recommendations.

In other news, the contract for resurfacing the outdoor courts and new fencing at PTC has been approved. Work will not begin until late spring. We'll have some ballots available at PTC to allow everyone to vote on a court color. You'll be voting on the color inside the lines and outside the lines; i:e, dark green/light green similar to the indoor courts. Once the project is completed we will schedule a "grand opening" and a tournament.

We're hoping to finally finish the "O Tennisbaum" tournament soon. Thanks for your patience. Once all the results are in we will purchase a permanent plaque with winners' names. It will updated every year.

USTA adult and Super Senior leagues begin soon. We will have a record number (10 teams) so court time on weekends at PTC will be tighter. The Super Senior teams play at St. Johns during the week.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Portland Parks & Recreation holds

Community Budget Information Meeting on January 10

to review 2009-2010 budget proposal

What: Community Budget Information Meeting on the 2009-2010 Portland Parks & Recreation budget proposal
When: 10 a.m. to 12 noon, Saturday, January 10
Where: Ambridge Event Center
300 N.E. Multnomah Street, Portland

The downturn in the economy has hit home. Portland Parks & Recreation is seeking $2.9 million dollars in efficiencies, revenue increases, and program reductions to meet the budget for fiscal year 2009-2010. This amount includes $900,000 to balance rising costs such as utilities, and $2 million due to General Fund discretionary budget reductions.

The following values will guide the bureau's decisions on the PP&R budget:

o Protect services and programs core to our mission
o Serve the greatest number of Portlanders
o Maintain quality programming, especially those programs uniquely provided by PP&R

Using the feedback from several public surveys, from the recent ParkFest event in October, and from PP&R staff, the Community Budget Committee, which consists of citizens and employees representing various unions, prepared a budget that will be available for review at the January 10 meeting.

This meeting is the public's next opportunity to hear about and respond to the bureau's budget proposal before it is submitted to City Council on February 2, 2009.

For directions to the Ambridge Event Center , please visit www.ambridgeevents.com/directions.html.

hyogen
01-12-2009, 09:09 AM
jun, that meetup yesterday was fun. I wish I could've played more doubles matches. Playing with katrina? (kit) was a blast....

those 2 "varsity" players that were there...did they hit with us? or were they just hitting after the meetup was over. They were awsmazing to watch. Now I know how 5.5+ 's actually hit. I'll never be able to hit like that

junbug
01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
next sunday @ 1. PSU rooftop covered courts. details on the group site @ meetup.com .

junbug
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
this sunday @ david douglas HS, 1 PM start i have 8 spots as of this writing. ..or typo. bring your own balls and sportdrinks. if anyone is interested, let me know right away.

junbug
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
it's now 5 spots. any 4.0 and over players interested?

hyogen
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
hey jun. i work on sundays now...so alas, i can't play for a while...

junbug
06-05-2009, 07:56 AM
oh that's nice. probably retail.

junbug
06-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Junetennth Tennis Tournament

Attention all tennis players, please plan on playing in our upcoming event scheduled for June 26-28 at the Portland Tennis Center. Please Note that the date has changed to prevent conflicts with Father's Day and other tennis tournaments. Please also note that the PTC Outdoor Courts are being resurfaced and we might have to use other sites. These sites will be Irving Park, Grant Park, and the St. Johns Racquet Center. St. Johns and PTC Indoor Courts will be available in case of rain. If rain happens then some matches will be played as Pro Sets! The 6th-Annual Adidas Juneteenth Tennis Tournament is a major fundraiser for Kids N' Tennis, Inc. (KN'T) All proceeds from this event are used to defray expenses for Kids N' Tennis - United States Tennis
Association's National Junior Tennis League summer tennis camp at Irving Park. This seven week FREE camp is entering its 22nd year and serves as KNT's entry level or introduction to tennis for most participants. After the completion of this camp kids who are still interested in playing tennis are encouraged to enroll in our year-round tennis academy.
Kids N' Tennis, Inc. will once again partner with the Susan G. Komen
Foundation's "Rally For The Cure!" We will direct $20.00 from every female player participating in Women's Singles and Doubles, Women's 50 & Over Singles and Doubles to the Komen Foundation - Rally For The Cure. Last year we raised $260.00 from our tournament. This may seem like a small amount when compared to other events but if we can increase the number of female participants this year then we will be able to donate more money for cancer research.
On Saturday and Sunday plan on checking out our "Tennis Garage Sale" for tennis and other sports related items. All proceeds for our tournament and other fund-raising events will help with the sponsorship of our USTA/NJTL Summer Tennis Camp at Irving Park. The camp is FREE and is celebrating its 22nd year at Irving Park.
We have attached an entry form with this email that you may print and return with a check to Kids N' Tennis, Inc.; P.O. Box 11128; Portland, OR 97211. If you have any questions regarding Kids N Tennis, Inc. or the Juneteenth Tennis Tournament please call Coach Johnson at 503-880-0582. Just in case you can't make it, we will gladly accept donations. Please read below for additional information on Kids N' Tennis, Inc.
For those of you who are familiar with Kids N' Tennis, Inc. you know that teaching tennis is only one of our mission statements. Our goal continues to identify, advocate, and represent kids who we feel are eligible for consideration to receive college tennis and scholastic scholarships.
To-date, KN'T has assisted 20 kids with their college education; five
received tennis scholarships; 15 academic or scholastic scholarships, with a total of 15 kids graduating from college. When compared to other organizations or programs this may seem like a small number but if you ask those kids and their families who have benefited form our efforts we think that to them its a big deal. We are still the only youth tennis program in the Pacific Northwest whose mission through tennis is to help kids from elementary school to/and through college. We provide employment opportunities during the summer months for our returning players where they serve as role models and reminders of our success. Just think, all-of-this from a local public-community Park and Recreational Program. And remember unlike other programs the majority of our programs are FREE! None of these youth activities would be possible without your help and the commitment from our volunteer staff of coaches and the continual support from our children's parents. Please continue to help us by entering this year's tournament.

Thanks in Advance
Coach Don Johnson, CEO
Head Pro Kids ' Tennis, Inc.

junbug
06-21-2009, 08:05 PM
deadline for entries has been extended to tuesday jun 23rd. call 503 880 0582 to hold a spot. open (5.0+) A (up to 4.5) B (up to 3.5) novice/rookies /beginners (2.5 and below)
entry fees will be used to support the FREE jr clinic starting tomorrow @ irving park and is tax deductible.

junbug
08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
4.0+ and over tennis mixer @ 8AM grant park, aug 16th. if you are interested, reply here so i can hold a spot for you. 4.0+ ladies are encouraged to join in.

Midlife crisis
08-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Was at the Tualatin Hills tennis center a couple of weeks back for junior team tennis sectional competition. Very nice place, much nicer than the public facilities in Washington State and wouldn't be out of place at a private club.

Too bad all places can't get support like I've heard THTC has gotten from the community and the parks and rec department.

diredesire
08-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey Wayne,

I grew up hitting at Tualatin Hills :) It is a nice facility, They used to have only 1 "bubble," but with two, that is a great thing in the rainy season (aka not summer)

Midlife crisis
08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey Wayne,

I grew up hitting at Tualatin Hills :) It is a nice facility, They used to have only 1 "bubble," but with two, that is a great thing in the rainy season (aka not summer)

What is great is that covered viewing area for the outside courts. The bleachers they have there are perfect for hanging out and watching at least three or four courts.

The indoor courts are bubbles? I thought it was a solid, fixed roof. We were there July 31st and August 1st and it was hot in the upper viewing area between the indoor courts. It was only near the end that I found out the lower viewing area was air conditioned!!!

So where are you right now? Portland, Seattle, or ???

So where are you right now? Still down in the Portland area?

pug
10-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

New player here (1 year). Recommendations for good instructors?

Thanks.

davey
10-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

New player here (1 year). Recommendations for good instructors?

Thanks.

Tualatin Hills have the best facilities in the area by far. The people there are nice and if you live in-district(not portland) then it's a great deal. If you don't live in-district(me) it's still worth it to pay the registration fee and then pay in-district rates. The out-of-district rates are too much. Especially if you plan on playing there often. They have much more than tennis facilities so being in-district is like having a membership to a full service quality health club.

http://www.thprd.org/facilities/hmttennis/home.cfm

The Portland Tennis Center isn't as nice but they have 4 indoor courts and another 3 at another facility, St John's. They also just resurfaced their 8 outdoor courts.

http://www.pdx10s.com/Default.aspx?tabid=334

Both Tualatin Hills and the Portland Tennis Center provide lessons though I have never taken any at either but each have nice people.

I know there are a couple of private clubs in town but I have never played at either. Maybe others can tell you about them.

junbug
11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
time to revive this page

Puddy
11-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Tualatin Hills have the best facilities in the area by far. The people there are nice and if you live in-district(not portland) then it's a great deal. If you don't live in-district(me) it's still worth it to pay the registration fee and then pay in-district rates. The out-of-district rates are too much. Especially if you plan on playing there often. They have much more than tennis facilities so being in-district is like having a membership to a full service quality health club.

http://www.thprd.org/facilities/hmttennis/home.cfm

The Portland Tennis Center isn't as nice but they have 4 indoor courts and another 3 at another facility, St John's. They also just resurfaced their 8 outdoor courts.

http://www.pdx10s.com/Default.aspx?tabid=334

Both Tualatin Hills and the Portland Tennis Center provide lessons though I have never taken any at either but each have nice people.

I know there are a couple of private clubs in town but I have never played at either. Maybe others can tell you about them.

I always liked West Hills Racquet Club, Cornell Racquet Club and the former Raleigh Hills Racquet Club. Whatever happened to Seibell's Racquet Shop?

canuckfan72
11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey everbody, anybody know a good place to get your racket strung in vancouver? I usually go to Tad's but its $30 a pop for me. (i use pro hurricane or wilson nxt)

canuckfan

junbug
03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Demo Day/Mixer this sunday @ evergreen HS in vancouver starting 1PM. come and playtest the 2010 prince frames. no obligation to buy. can't sell them anyways. if you are interested sign up at meetup.com or tennistour.org

junbug
08-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Newberg NTRP Tennis Open this weekend. sorry for the very short notice. entry deadline has been extended to at least wed. Aug 18th. go to www.cprdnewberg,org for an entry form or to register online. phone no to the parks and rec dept is on the entry form. call them if you have any questions.

diredesire
08-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey everbody, anybody know a good place to get your racket strung in vancouver? I usually go to Tad's but its $30 a pop for me. (i use pro hurricane or wilson nxt)

canuckfan
You can e-mail me @ my screen name @ gmail.

Labor is $10 flat, you provide strings, or I have some stuff on hand, though I don't stock either of the above.

junbug
09-25-2010, 01:15 AM
tennis action this morning 11AM at glenhaven park. show up shake hands and hit the fuzzy yellow ball.

junbug
03-08-2011, 07:06 AM
time to revive this old thread. any updates happenings?

krizzle
03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Hello!
Rising 3.5-4.0 player, Portland. Play at PTC.

LuckyR
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
You should have no trouble finding matches there at that level.

diredesire
03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm completing my masters shortly, and will be living in Hillsboro/Beaverton area in a few months, definitely interested in finding a regular hitting partner!