PDA

View Full Version : Unifibre Natural Gut?

Wilson95
10-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Anyone had experience with this string?

Thanks.

PROTENNIS63
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Never heard of that. Where did you find it?

Wilson95
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Google Unifibre Natural Gut.

Gennady Mamzhi
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I've got a few sets. It has excellent playability (like any natural gut).

Durability is just OK. Gut mains with syn gut crosses @ 60 lbs on PK 5G lasted 5-6 hours.

Stringing was a nightmare... Broke half-set twice, even though I was "crawling", stringing very slowly (@62 lbs). For the third time, lowered tension to 60lbs and it didn't break.

With 2 out of 3 sets breakage during stringing, even Babolat VS would be cheaper...

Gennady

rorschack
12-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Anyone else tried this string? Please give some feedbacks! TIA

diredesire
12-26-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't have feedback for the string, but I have a bit of experience with cheap gut:

Avoid it.

You'll have lots of stringing problems (nicks, burning, inconsistencies, snapping, low tensile strength, bad coatings... the list goes on)

Just get the good stuff, it will play better throughout the life, and you have less chance of throwing your money away from a faulty set (although yes, it does happen).

It should also be noted that cheap guts typically play more dead and more stiff than premium gut.

If you are looking for good performance AND a relatively low price, go for a hybrid! Halving a set of Klip Legend or similar and Forten Sweet would only cost you about $15 a job, versus paying $15-20 for some crappy gut that won't perform up to expectations anyways.

ryangoring
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Double D, what now do you think of the cheap natty guts out now like Gaucho and Global?

I know, I know, I revived a dead thread but I was looking at unifibre and came across this, and just had to ask you the question. No I'm not being cocky either. :)

diredesire
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Double D, what now do you think of the cheap natty guts out now like Gaucho and Global?

I know, I know, I revived a dead thread but I was looking at unifibre and came across this, and just had to ask you the question. No I'm not being cocky either. :)

Haven't played with the gaucho, so I can't make any comments. I have gotten a "bum" set of global recently, though. I think the quality in general can be great, but they probably have a looser "QC" definition of what goes out the door. I think for the price you are getting a lot, but you have to be willing to deal with minor issues.

If you have a money back guarantee, it doesn't hurt to try these sorts of sets out, you only lose out on your time. I would hesitate to stock it for customers, though. A few sets of VS on hand is good enough for me (I don't get too many players my age/around me asking for natural gut, though. I would say that's partly due to the weather)

ryangoring
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you.

Cruzer
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I've got a few sets. It has excellent playability (like ane natural gut).

Durability is just OK. Gut mains with syn gut crosses @ 60 lbs on PK 5G lasted 5-6 hours.

Stringing was a nightmare... Broke half-set twice, even though I was "crawling", stringing very slowly (@62 lbs). For the third time, lowered tension to 60lbs and it didn't break.

With 2 out of 3 sets breakage during stringing, even Babolat VS would be cheaper...

Gennady

From your description it sounds like a great string ;).

For all these people considering a cheap natural gut.

1. You get what you pay for. Why would anyone blow their money on natural gut that has a 50/50 chance of either breaking when you are stringing it, in your bag before you hit with it, or after a couple of times playing with it?

2. Even a lower cost natural gut like Babolat Tonic will last ten times longer than these discount, no name brands however it costs three to four times as much. Do the arithmetic. A name brand gut is obviously the way to go if you want natural gut in your racquet.

ryangoring
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
^^^ So what do you think about the Global and Gaucho natty guts?
People seem to have a thing for them. A liking if you will.
And from some of the posters, it actual can rival the more expensive ones on the market

Steve Huff
09-04-2009, 03:48 AM
Probably the same people whose Klippermate rivals the Star 5.

Pwned
09-04-2009, 04:56 AM
I haven't seen anyone say that Global or Gaucho gut rivals any of the top guts. For many, though, Gaucho and Global have worked perfectly without premature breaking or any other issues and act as great, extremely affordable alternatives that play as a gut is supposed to.

ryangoring
09-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Haha! You're right. I didn't fully read the whole article that DRAk was doing on them both, but I scanned thru some of it

ryangoring
09-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I haven't seen anyone say that Global or Gaucho gut rivals any of the top guts. For many, though, Gaucho and Global have worked perfectly without premature breaking or any other issues and act as great, extremely affordable alternatives that play as a gut is supposed to.

True. It was my mistake on that one.

Superman1272
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I have used the Unifibre NG in a hybrid set-up in some of my old Wilson Sting 85's... I have had no problem with them. Thye play like any other thick gauge NG I have ever hit with.

I have nver used a full string bed of them , but would not be opposed to it. Next time I have to string up one of my KPS88's, I will give it a try just for *****s and giggles.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
i just gave a set of Unifibre to my stringer to put in my PDR+C. I also have a frame with Klip Legend and one with VS Team. I'll be getting the Unifibre frame this weekend, so I can give an impression of the Unifibre vs. the premium gut strings

ladude1957
01-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Pre-stretch before stringing to avoid breaking
Pull and release slowly
It is not recommended to go over 60 lbs of tension

Sounds like a low end, have to be careful with, not to be strung over 60 lbs Nat Gut. I think I have seen this before. Might be a great cross or if you string your frames in the low 50s. If you using it as a cross, there might better options for less money. I have used a few of these low end nat guts. They seem to be more trouble then they are worth. The fact that you are told not to string them over 60 lbs should indicate something to you.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Wow! I just got my babolat pdr+ back with this strung at 58#s. Initial inspection: string looks pretty good, but there are some blotches on the string. I thought perhaps these would be weak spots. Feeling the string, I noticed some inconsistency in the diameter, but overall, not bad.

I have played two hours of singles, two hours of doubles, and 90 minutes of strenuous hitting with these strings. While not as soft as Klip Legend or VS Team, the tension has held, and the string performs very well. I was hitting the ball with tremendous pace and spin.

Don't know how long the string will last, but so far, it has performed very well.

alidisperanza
01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
As a general rule for Econo-Guts, don't string above 60... Take your time weaving and maintaining the string (as you should with any job). I can't comment particularly on unifibre but I've used plenty others.

It's true you get what you pay for but Econo-guts aren't a horrible choice either. It depends what you're looking for. VS you can string up to 70lbs comfortably with no worries. You'll have that perfect quality throughout the life of the string. As is with everything though, there are pros and cons, tradeoffs if you will.

JT_2eighty
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I've used it once before in the mains with poly cross. Strung at about 52 lbs in this hybrid. It has little coating compared to high-end guts like VS or Pacific, but durability was pretty decent.

Actually, I used it for about 10 matches, and still it didn't break, but the poly crosses had lost so much tension over time that I had to cut all the strings out because the frame was starting to warp noticeably and become almost circular from the original oval shape, which signified to me that Unifibre holds it tension like other guts.

Still haven't used the other half, but I may use it as a cross with a higher quality gut main and see how that goes. It is almost rope-like in appearance, but very elastic as long as you stay below 60 lbs. I always use low tensions so this was ok by me.

Tar Heel Tennis
01-29-2010, 05:54 AM
UPDATE: Have now played approx. 13 hours with this string. The tension is holding extremely well. Negligible string movement (unlike my Klip Legend); negligible fraying.

This has been a wonderful string for me. I am hoping that my experience is the 'norm', and not an exception, since I just purchased 6 more packs!

Vespasian
02-10-2010, 03:26 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a USRSA certified stringer and have strung (and personally used) about 3-4 different types of gut (klip, babolat, BDE, etc.)

I've strung a few sets of this gut (for customers, not myself) and have to echo previous comments about the lack of coating, difficulty with stringing (especially crosses) and some fraying while stringing. Once it's in the stick, you're fine, but be prepared to take a little more care and attention than you normally do with a full gut job. You're not getting top quality gut, but.....you are not paying for it either.

If you are only stringing for yourself and don't do a lot of sticks, it's probably worth using a high quality multifilament / nylon center-core cross so you can steer clear of the potential problems other folks have pointed out; otherwise you might end up cursing your loss of 15 bucks. Either that, or drop an extra 12-15 bucks, bite the bullet and get a non-bargain gut set.

I've just started stocking this string b/c i have a fair number of customers (like most stringers) who suffer from tennis elbow-many are hesitant to spend 45+ dollars on a string job so I plan on offering this as an budget-level alternative and see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Tar Heel Tennis
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I just had a set put into my girlfriend's racket. she has been experiencing some arm pain, and was using one of my frames with Klip Legend (which she likes). So far, my stringer has strung 2 full sets, and 1 half (hybrid) with no stringing issues.

He actually purchased some of this stuff after he saw my racket with 30 or so hours on it. I am so impressed with the string that i bought an additional 6 sets last week. for me, it is a great, economical string to keep on my third frame. I have VS Team on my #1 stick, Klip Legend on #2, and the Unifibre on my third. At $12 per set, and $10 to have strung, I can't justify not using it, especially with elbow problems of my own.

Make no mistake, it's not VS, or even Klip, but I'm very happy with it, and will continue to use it.

Tar Heel Tennis
02-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Unifibre update: still going strong! Virtually no notching, fraying, or tension loss.

I have now used this string for a month, and I really like it. Still no need to use my arm band when playing - my elbow pain has evaporated.

Although not as soft as Klip Legend, I am happier with every other aspect of the Unifibre. The strings don't move, and the tension has maintained. My Klip is down to 42lbs, based on electronic stringbed tester. The Klip was originally strung at 58 lbs.

SplitStepper
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I will have to try this unifibre stuff. i've been in the tennis industry for 15 years and have strung thousands of racquets. in the past year, i've strung about 25 sets of global gut. NOT A SINGLE EARLY BREAK!!!!! Yes, there are inconsistencies with the string but I've strung it all the way up to 56lbs without trouble. i've compared the playability with other guts and global is right up there with the best of them. in fact, i actually had to cut a set of pacific classic because it was just too uncomfortable. i just ordered 10 sets of global but i would still like to give unifibre a try.

Hotrocks
02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I will have to try this unifibre stuff. i've been in the tennis industry for 15 years and have strung thousands of racquets. in the past year, i've strung about 25 sets of global gut. NOT A SINGLE EARLY BREAK!!!!! Yes, there are inconsistencies with the string but I've strung it all the way up to 56lbs without trouble. i've compared the playability with other guts and global is right up there with the best of them. in fact, i actually had to cut a set of pacific classic because it was just too uncomfortable. i just ordered 10 sets of global but i would still like to give unifibre a try.

I agree with the above treads! I was a user of VS gut and ALU. The biggest complaint was 42.00 for gut & 15.00 for poly and the price to string? Poly dieds in 3 weeks and you have perfectly good gut in the crosses now in the garbage. After reading all the good reviews on Gaucho Gut, last year, I gave them a try & was impressed with how they played, along with price(14.00). I don't like gut that has all the coating added, doesn't feel as buttery, but everyone is different. I am not sure what happened to Gaucho, put all the string sets I purchased last year were fine, no issues. May have to give unifibre a try! I have noticed once you have hit with gut...it is hard to find anything else to take it's place.

Rabbit
02-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Exactly...they are both constant pull after all.... ;)

David123
03-30-2010, 09:00 AM
how would this be applied in a locketout machine such as a revo 4000 (crank) since you have to string 10% higher so get the original tensiont that you want, wouldnt it break the string? For instance les say you want the natural gut at 56lbs.. it means you have to originally string at around 61lbs which is above the reccomended limit :S

David123
03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
it means if i purchase a revo i probably wont be using these low ends natural guts since they'll more often than not rip. And the more classy ones are too expensive :S.

David123
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
any opinions about volley natural gut? it reccomends not stringing above 55lbs.. :S but ive read some good reviews about it?

JT_2eighty
03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
For what it's worth, I'm a USRSA certified stringer and have strung (and personally used) about 3-4 different types of gut (klip, babolat, BDE, etc.)

I've strung a few sets of this gut (for customers, not myself) and have to echo previous comments about the lack of coating, difficulty with stringing (especially crosses) and some fraying while stringing. Once it's in the stick, you're fine, but be prepared to take a little more care and attention than you normally do with a full gut job. You're not getting top quality gut, but.....you are not paying for it either.

If you are only stringing for yourself and don't do a lot of sticks, it's probably worth using a high quality multifilament / nylon center-core cross so you can steer clear of the potential problems other folks have pointed out; otherwise you might end up cursing your loss of 15 bucks. Either that, or drop an extra 12-15 bucks, bite the bullet and get a non-bargain gut set.

I've just started stocking this string b/c i have a fair number of customers (like most stringers) who suffer from tennis elbow-many are hesitant to spend 45+ dollars on a string job so I plan on offering this as an budget-level alternative and see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Nice. I agree with everything you say, although I still don't think even a high quality multi will play as good as even a cheapo gut like this. The playability is surprisingly good, and should play well longer than any multi because it is quite durable over the duration (although I am no multi expert, but it seems like most multi's lose their playability or break in under 20 hours of use, and the uni should last you at least 20 hours if not more).

I don't like gut that has all the coating added, doesn't feel as buttery, but everyone is different.

Unifibre is the one for you. I have now strung it up in 4 separate hybrids, not one premature breakage, but you do have to handle it carefully while stringing.

It's the gut cross in my current setup in my signature, and is working quite well. I like how it comes already in two halves, so it's just that much less handling before stringing it up. As long as you don't mind your stringjob looking like you have brown rope in your stick, it plays well with good durability.

Wilson95
06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Any more comments about Unifibre natural gut?

toeknee
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
ive used most Ngut brands.. Honestly, imo, when it comes to playability you can hardly tell the difference from one brand to another.. cosmetically wise and stringing wise, thats a different story.

I found Unifibre really dry and brittle, I prefer Global Gut to it. GG is cheaper and imo its a better string.

Tar Heel Tennis
06-14-2010, 01:26 PM
There is a tremendous playability between different types of natural gut. I play with VS Team, Klip Legend, and Unifibre. The VS and Klip are much softer and 'buttery' than the Unifibre.

I do love the Unifibre though. For a while, I would go straight to my 'Unifibre' stick when hitting/playing. I'm back to using my VS for my serious tennis matches though.

levy1
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
There is a tremendous playability between different types of natural gut. I play with VS Team, Klip Legend, and Unifibre. The VS and Klip are much softer and 'buttery' than the Unifibre.

I do love the Unifibre though. For a while, I would go straight to my 'Unifibre' stick when hitting/playing. I'm back to using my VS for my serious tennis matches though.
I have used all the above and even Global and Gaucho. Like them all and now using Preformaxx which you can buy for different tensions. Very easy to string.

Frankc
10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
As far reasonably priced natural gut - tried a few - I am not sold on some of the newer guts with seemingly more coatin than gut - might wear well, but lack that old time zing...

pvaudio
10-20-2011, 11:17 PM
As said, 55 should be the limit with the super cheap ones. They're more like intestinal twine than string. Non-uniform, bad coating, poor tensile strength until settled. Definitely use as a mains with power pads if you're going to use them.

ustabaseliner
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been using Unifbre Natural Gut on the crosses (strung at 59) for 4+ years now and I have to say that it's worth the price/performance. I think I actually even love it. I've tried VS and I don't think that it was worth 2-3x the price, though it's definitely a nice string. :)

FYI - I usually break my mains after 8-10 hours of hitting (Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex at 62) and I hit with moderate spin and like to really swing at the ball from the baseline.

UCSF2012
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I placed a leftover stand of unifibre sting under torture test. I kept tightening and tightening that strand until it snapped. I broke at 68 lbs of tension. That's not to say you should string it anywhere near that high, because it'll snap upon ball impact if you did.

mikeler
11-29-2011, 05:15 AM
As said, 55 should be the limit with the super cheap ones. They're more like intestinal twine than string. Non-uniform, bad coating, poor tensile strength until settled. Definitely use as a mains with power pads if you're going to use them.

PVAudio sent me a set of Unifibre to playtest. He already knows this story, but for the rest of you here was my first experience.

I strung up some Unifibre as a cross with B5E mains. I have a 16 x 20 racket. The last few crosses, I could actually see through the middle of the string. I was surprised the last knot held. So far got about 8 hours on the setup and I don't see any major kinks in the gut yet, just plenty of fraying. It is a nice feeling setup for sure. Next time, I'll try it the other way around with gut in the mains.

mctennis
12-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Horrible string. I bought 4 sets and couldn't get one set to string up because it kept breaking. The stringer thought it was old gut but I told him I just bought it. He said it was junk.

UCSF2012
12-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Horrible string. I bought 4 sets and couldn't get one set to string up because it kept breaking. The stringer thought it was old gut but I told him I just bought it. He said it was junk.

I say your stringer isn't doing it right and is blaming the string. I've strung up several Unifibres, and they're going strong. They refuse to snap, and I kinda want it to pop because I want to try out other natural gut brands.