PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best rap song of all time?

UW_Husky88
10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
What is the best rap song of all time and why do you think so? You can list more than one if you just can't narrow it down that far. Please don't post **** like 50 Cent or the new Kanye West and Jay-Z (although College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt and such are alright to draw from). Its not that I don't respect Kanye and such, but his new stuff will be forgotten in less than a year (his hype is already fading quickly). If you want, you can break it down into these categories and more (I'll start):

Overall: C.R.E.A.M. ~ Wu-Tang Clan
Lyrically: Changes ~ Tupac and most of the stuff by Nas (his old stuff)
Flow: The World is Yours ~ Nas
Production: C.R.E.A.M ~ Wu-Tang Clan
Club Song: too close of a call. I really like Timbaland's The Way I Are Song though, but I don't really know because most of this stuff is garbage nowadays.

The reason why I think C.R.E.A.M is so good is because it is incredible, although not a sure fire best in every aspect except production (IMO), it is so exceptional in every possible way that it is an amazing song. The lyrics are very deep and meaningful, the production is awesome because its a different style than much of the other rap out there (even the other stuff on their CD), which appeals to some, and it has killer bass which appeals to others, RZA and Inspectah Deck have amazing flow, and thus its just incredible.

Now its your turn.

drakulie
10-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I Like BIG BUTTS!!

TokyopunK
10-05-2007, 03:16 PM
You can't ask "Whats the best rap song of all time" and then say "Oh and you can't say Kanye, 50, .... etc." and then give your opinion.

What if I said, I think Kanye West's "Stronger" is the best song of all time. Some of 50's songs follow closely. Oh and don't post garbage like Wu-Tang Clan or Tupac (total plagarist) or Timbaland (fading and will be forgotten soon)

topspin_17
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
rappers delight - sugarhill gang

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
rappers delight - sugarhill gang

Good call. My vote goes to "Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys.

dima
10-05-2007, 03:28 PM
gangsta's paradise

tricky
10-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I Like BIG BUTTS!!

You other brothers can't deny that this is maybe the most famous rap song ever. :D

I'm going to say Eric B for President, since it has the quessential line of being a MC "I never let the mic magnetize me no more."

Production: Public Enemy (Fear of a Black Planet), Beastie Boys/Dust Brothers (Paul's Boutique), Premier

Flow: Rakim, Pac (not great technically, but just very emotional)

Best Wu Tang Member: Ghostface Killa or GZA.

Lyrics (Non-backpacker): Anything from lllmatic

Lyrics (Backpacker): Aesop Rock.

Greatest Hip-hop Album of All Time: Duh. It's To The Extreme. Word to the Ice, yo.

ewcrider
10-05-2007, 06:14 PM
hmm this is tough one. Here are some that are up on my list.

Immortal Technique - Dance with the Devil
Guru - Sights in the City
Sweatshop Union - Stolen Memories
Aceyalone - Everything Changes
Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - The Message
Atmosphere (maybe?) - Anything is Everything
Atmosphere - Like Today

j30tennis
10-05-2007, 06:24 PM
So watcha sayin EMPD

UW_Husky88
10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
What if I said, I think Kanye West's "Stronger" is the best song of all time. Some of 50's songs follow closely. Oh and don't post garbage like Wu-Tang Clan or Tupac (total plagarist) or Timbaland (fading and will be forgotten soon)

First of all, if you said that, I would say that you are a poser who has no idea what real rap is. Second of all, thanks for your very important post, but if you don't like this thread, feel free not to discuss.

K thanks

TokyopunK
10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
First of all, if you said that, I would say that you are a poser who has no idea what real rap is. Second of all, thanks for your very important post, but if you don't like this thread, feel free not to discuss.

K thanks

No I love this thread as I am a mainstream rapper in training.

I just didn't like your approach to asking the question.

K thanks

35ft6
10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Overall: C.R.E.A.M. ~ Wu-Tang Clan
I'm not sure if that's even the best song in 36 Chambers.

Not really sure but I'm just going to answer out my *****:
Production: The Chronic
Flow: Rakim, Tupac, Biggie, DMX, Treach, Big Daddy Kane (honorable mentions to Sadat X, Too Short, Ahmad)
Best Wu Tang Member: ODB, a true rock star
Overall: tough one... Nothing But A G Thing, The Show, I Get Around, Big Poppa, Scenario, Children's Story,
Lyrically: Nas, Eminem, Digable Planets, Tupac,
Flow: Juicy, Hit Em Up, Microphone Fiend

I don't know.

Rodditha
10-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Crank that shiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!! youuuuuuuuu!!!!!

justsomeguy
10-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Man, you guys must be young. I've never heard of most of these people.

I'll take NWA: Straight Outta Compton or F the Police.

Both bad to the bone, hard, old school rap. Back when Ice Cube was a monster on the mic, and Easy E was still breathing. It's the angriest music I've ever heard, and was great to get pumped up when I was young and full of angst.

OrangeOne
10-06-2007, 03:37 AM
What is the best rap song of all time and why do you think so? You can list more than one if you just can't narrow it down that far. Please don't post **** like 50 Cent or the new Kanye West and Jay-Z (although College Dropout and Reasonable Doubt and such are alright to draw from). Its not that I don't respect Kanye and such, but his new stuff will be forgotten in less than a year (his hype is already fading quickly).

As others have said, you can't ask others what THEY think is best and then tell them what they can't pick. Silly....

The reason why I think C.R.E.A.M is so good is because it is incredible, Wow, for someone so into rap - which centres around the interesting use of words / language - you sure managed to be as eloquent as a brick there :p

it is so exceptional in every possible way that it is an amazing song. ...[snip]...and thus its just incredible.Errr... ok.

Now its your turn.
I'll get hammered for saying some of this, but here goes (remember, MY choices)....

Classic: NWA did some amazing things, not very socially responsible, but yeah. Dre should get a mention in this zone too.

Body of work: Eminem. Why? Because, in a way i've seen no other artist do, he realised his need to be socially responsible, and went full circle. He's also produced and assisted many current-day rappers. He managed to go commercial with stuff no-one else did, and then slowly cleaned up his act throughout his career.

Yay for them: Vanilla, Hammer, Snow etc etc - the guys that have had some silly short-term commercial success, and that broadened the scope of an art form that I appreciate, and that may have otherwise marginalised itself into a corner.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
10-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Public Enemy - He Got Game

Thread Over.

lonestar
10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
just a few of my favourites (albums, that is):

Black Star – Talib Kweli & Mos Def Are Black Star
Nas – Illmatic
Eric B. and Rakim – Paid in Full
Public Enemy – It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory
Common – Like Water for Chocolate
Mos Def – Black on Both Sides
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Talib Kweli – Reflection Eternal
Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

chroix
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
BDP & KRS ONE in every category. Yeah I'm old and all that but his lyrics, delivery and style are still the best. No one has ever surpassed the Blastmaster.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Ahmish Paradise, Wierd Al Yancovic. Booyah!