PDA

View Full Version : ever chipped/scarred paint while Pulling string?

Loco4Tennis
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
i've been using my klippermate dropweight string machine for 3+ months now, i've done about 20 or so racquets so far,
in 2 separate instances while dropping and releasing the weight to tension the first 6 mains at the throat end of the racquet the strings left a mark or scar, near the top of the "Y" portion of the racquet, where the string would hang over the frame,
the first time it happened i noticed it on a racquet i just finished repainting 2 days before, i thought its maybe the paint job is still not dry, but then it happened again on a manufactured racquet
has anyone ever run into this problem?
i am thinking about putting cardboard or cloth or something to prevent the string from messing up the finish

aeroman
10-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I have done this before with textured string. When pulling my Alpha Ultra Spin Classic 15l I have made a line where the paint has been rubbed off. I've done this after I've tensioned the string and I'm pulling it out. I can see like a powder too right after I've done it too...
Aeroman

Steve Huff
10-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Instead of pulling over the frame, try going under the frame. The Klipper tensioner sits slightly lower than the mounted racket.

tennisace23
10-06-2007, 02:15 AM
I've done this with the klipper as well...but I only noticed it on one racquet which I thought had a bad paint job anyway. But in any case, everytime I string a racquet now, I put a couple of pieces of head teap (sometimes two layers) by the Y of the throat where the string will go over when doing the first few mains. That seems to solve the problem for me.

Loco4Tennis
10-06-2007, 03:57 AM
thanks for all the replies, as for the ideas, i am going to try them next time, if i can remember to do it, i specially like the tape over the side deal
i dont mind it so much when its my racquet, but when its someone elses it feels bad,
i started to wonder if this only happened to dropweight machines, but thinking it through i think ALL stringing machines would run into this problem at some point, because they all have to pull the center mains the same way, either having the string over or under the "Y" portion of the frame,
i guess their could be machines that have height adjusted tensioners, but still, string and frame contact would be there

aeroman
10-06-2007, 04:32 AM
I forgot to say that I use a prince neos machine.
Aeroman

BurghKing
10-06-2007, 05:10 AM
thanks for all the replies, as for the ideas, i am going to try them next time, if i can remember to do it, i specially like the tape over the side deal
i dont mind it so much when its my racquet, but when its someone elses it feels bad,
i started to wonder if this only happened to dropweight machines, but thinking it through i think ALL stringing machines would run into this problem at some point, because they all have to pull the center mains the same way, either having the string over or under the "Y" portion of the frame,
i guess their could be machines that have height adjusted tensioners, but still, string and frame contact would be there

Not all stringing machines will run into this. Most dropweight machines will run into this problem. The higher quality machines are manufactured and designed so this is not a problem because you never have to pull the mains over the throat because that puts extra strain on the string and frame. That is one of the flaws of dropweight machines. In your case, I would suggest the same thing as everyone else and use some sort of soft material like leather or an old grip to protect the string and frame.

Loco4Tennis
10-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Not all stringing machines will run into this. Most dropweight machines will run into this problem. The higher quality machines are manufactured and designed so this is not a problem because you never have to pull the mains over the throat because that puts extra strain on the string and frame. That is one of the flaws of dropweight machines. In your case, I would suggest the same thing as everyone else and use some sort of soft material like leather or an old grip to protect the string and frame.

what machine are you refering to here? how do you tension the string that you threat through the throat?

Loco4Tennis
10-07-2007, 09:48 AM
found this tread someone started on this similar issue as well
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=159972
a lot of people seem to prefer the under method mentioned here as well
i guess it depends on your stringer, but i still think going under or over taping is going to be the best guarantee

User Name
10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
putting cardboard in between works the best for me

Loco4Tennis
10-18-2007, 07:32 PM
today i had to restring my frame, and remembering what happened last time i decided to try some of the suggestions mentioned here,
i tried a test pull below the frame, but i still saw that the string rubbed aggainst the frame, so i decided to go with the tape idea, as soon as i whent for the tape i remembered i had some old/used OVERGRIP (yonex supergrap), i wound the two sides with a single overgrip, and to my surprice it worked great

shojun25
10-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, anything that cushions the string will work fine. I use a business card when the string has to touch the frame when tensioning.

Also, I believe that repainting your racquet was also a culprit to this. If you strung the racquet and it has been 3 weeks after the paintjob, then your racquet should be fine (unless if your coats are too thick).

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, anything that cushions the string will work fine. I use a business card when the string has to touch the frame when tensioning.

Also, I believe that repainting your racquet was also a culprit to this. If you strung the racquet and it has been 3 weeks after the paintjob, then your racquet should be fine (unless if your coats are too thick).

That's a drawback of dropweight machines, and pulling under the frame or using a business card works (as does a folded old overgrip or discarded replacement grip). Also, when this happens, it also often means that your tension on that string won't be accurate, so be careful. Since the frame is bearing some of the load of the weight, the string isn't getting the full tension it's supposed to.

Loco4Tennis
10-28-2007, 06:55 AM
....Also, I believe that repainting your racquet was also a culprit to this. If you strung the racquet and it has been 3 weeks after the paintjob, then your racquet should be fine (unless if your coats are too thick).

your part right on this one, i think i do have too much paint on my old racquet when i did this, but this last time i was stringing a wilson pro staff, not new nor freshly painted, but it still scrapped the frame slightly, because of the contact with the string,
so from now on i am not taking any chances, i am going to wrap the racquet Y section before i start, a very easy step for peace of mind, specially if its not my racquet,
hopefuly others reading this will not find out the hard way of what we are all reffering to here

Bud
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I use cardboard or a sock.

Pusher
10-28-2007, 03:48 PM
i've been using my klippermate dropweight string machine for 3+ months now, i've done about 20 or so racquets so far,
in 2 separate instances while dropping and releasing the weight to tension the first 6 mains at the throat end of the racquet the strings left a mark or scar, near the top of the "Y" portion of the racquet, where the string would hang over the frame,
the first time it happened i noticed it on a racquet i just finished repainting 2 days before, i thought its maybe the paint job is still not dry, but then it happened again on a manufactured racquet
has anyone ever run into this problem?
i am thinking about putting cardboard or cloth or something to prevent the string from messing up the finish

I haven't used a Klippermate for a while but can't you adjust the height of the turntable? If so then raise it and pull the string under the Y.

Steve Huff
10-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Using an overgrip would create a lot of friction, and would result in a lot lower tension on those strings. Use a business card or something like that.

Loco4Tennis
11-24-2007, 08:51 AM
by the way i did string a racquet yesterday and i used a thin piece of cardboard on the y section to prevent rubbing, worked great, thanks yall