PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod Nano- buy or wait?

tennisfanatic6060
10-06-2007, 05:27 AM
As you probably know, the new Apple Ipod Nanos and Ipod Classic came out a couple of weeks ago. I currently own a 30GB Ipod Video, the first iPod with video that was released by Apple. I'm not very happy with the battery life, as it only gives you 2 hours of video. Because of this, I barely watch videos when I go on a long trip, as I don't want my battery to die. Also, rap music I've put on it has come out scratchy. I found out that the Nano's battery life offers 5 hours of video, and the Classic's offers 6. I told my dad I want one, but he strongly thinks I should wait for the next generation. Do any of you have any idea when the next line of Ipods is planned to be released?

J-man
10-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Well I would been in the market for a new IPOD if I was you. The reason why the battery life is not very good is because you've had the ipod for over 2 years. The battery is only supposed to last about 18 months, not forever. This is how Apple makes all of it's money. So yes, If I was you I would go out and look at some new Ipods. It's about time. The next generation of ipods won't be released for a while. Apple is always going to make new ones you will always be a head of the curve for only so long so you might as well buy one now.

tenniskid3119
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
ZUNE!! (i think they are better...)

tennisfanatic6060
10-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Come on. 89 views and only 2 replies.:(

angharad
10-12-2007, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't wait necessarily for the next generation, but rather just wait a few more months to buy a nano. I do that with just about any technology out there - cell phones, PCs, cameras, etc. The glitches and bugs that come with any new gadget are generally fixed a few months down the line.

richw76
10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Well they have already had a price drop and it probably won't drop again for 12 months+ . So, if you want it I say get it now. ..... oh course it sounds like it's a gift from your parents so unless they are very generous you're probably waiting a few months until Christmas.

Bodacious DVT
10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
personally, i hate the new nanos. i went to the apple store to check them out and they felt kinda... cheap. i think it would have been cooler to take the new ipod and cut it in half.

anyway, i would either invest the extra money for a new ipod touch or wait for the next gen nano.

if you're really concerned about battery life, check out www.ipodmods.com
they have a battery replacement program- new free batteries for life for something like 50 bucks to sign up. the batteries last longer too.

richw76
10-13-2007, 12:14 PM
personally, i hate the new nanos. i went to the apple store to check them out and they felt kinda... cheap. i think it would have been cooler to take the new ipod and cut it in half.

anyway, i would either invest the extra money for a new ipod touch or wait for the next gen nano.

if you're really concerned about battery life, check out www.ipodmods.com
they have a battery replacement program- new free batteries for life for something like 50 bucks to sign up. the batteries last longer too.

Have you used them before? The site/service looks great. My battery is still fine but it's nice to know that sites like this exist. Apple is price gouging if normal vendors can afford to charge half as much for the same service. Apple must be able to get the materials for less than anyone else.

hjminard
10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
If you want one I'd go ahead and just get it. There's not going to be any big price drops (unlike the iPhone), and waiting for the next generation of technology just becomes an unending cycle (there will always be something newer and better). Also ... Apple has the iPod thing down pretty good - I don't think there will be many, if any, glitches.

matt.jc
10-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think the Ipod nano would be the best choice if you want videos because it only holds 5 hours of video without any songs on it, but the new Ipod classic holds way more so you can have both music and video.

psamp14
10-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Well I would been in the market for a new IPOD if I was you. The reason why the battery life is not very good is because you've had the ipod for over 2 years. The battery is only supposed to last about 18 months, not forever. This is how Apple makes all of it's money. So yes, If I was you I would go out and look at some new Ipods. It's about time. The next generation of ipods won't be released for a while. Apple is always going to make new ones you will always be a head of the curve for only so long so you might as well buy one now.

apple doesnt purposely design their products' battery life to last 18 months or whatever....this is the way lithium-ion batteries are....they are the best batteries for mobile devices today but even so, they have limits...

....before you think about what ipod to get you have to define your need....do you want an ipod just to listen to music? (consider all mp3 players)....for your larger music collection, and you might want video? (consider the new 4GB/8GB zunes too) or do you have a really large collection...then the ipod classic is good....

the battery life is standard....li-ion batteries degrade overtime, so expect the full battery life of your ipod or any mobile device to decline noticeably after about 2 years

Have you used them before? The site/service looks great. My battery is still fine but it's nice to know that sites like this exist. Apple is price gouging if normal vendors can afford to charge half as much for the same service. Apple must be able to get the materials for less than anyone else.

i think this might be similar to a $50 service fee that you can purchase at an apple store along with your ipod....in case of battery failure within a year, you receive a new ipod

Bodacious DVT
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM

yes i recently used them for a new battery in my 3rd gen (lol) and for some color mods for the buttons on my 3rd gen. very reliable company, great service.