PDA

View Full Version : Is this college football season the craziest there ever?

snoopy
10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
all these top schools keep getting beat by bad schools

USC lost to Stanford
Oklahoma lost to colorado
Texas lost to Kansas State

USF is currently #6 and will probably rise in the rankings

Miami, Florida State, Penn State aren't ranked

What's going on, this is nuts

It's almost like the NFL, anyone can beat anyone

z-money
10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
K state lost to KU its the worst football season EVER!!!!!!!!

Trainer
10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
It's weird, almost like having a top 20 ranking is a curse...

ollinger
10-06-2007, 07:11 PM
The rankings are generally nonsense. The notion of having "preseason" rankings before the teams play a single game each year, then moving teams up and down based on results and those early rankings is silly. Get the preseason rankings wrong (easy to do, I would think) and you'll have a lot of results that seem like "upsets" because the original ranking premise was meaningless.

alwaysatnet
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
To me it shows why college football is superior to the professional variety.
There is more spirit, more surprises, more varied styles of play.
When Appalachian State beat Michigan it showed anything can happen.
The hype and cynicism of the N.F.L. will never have the appeal, for me, of a clash between Montana and Eastern Washington(let's say).
The pros play for dough. The college kids play for love of the game.

Trainer
10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
The college kids play for love of the game.

That's a warm fuzzy thought, but there's probably a little more to it than that. Scholarships and potential pro career, even in euro or arena leagues may have something to do with it. It's a helluva lot of work to play ball.

lethalfang
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
The pros play for dough. The college kids play for love of the game.

That may be true for the D-1AA schools, but not those top rated schools. These kids play to catch the eyes of the NFL scouts.

soyizgood
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
The limits on scholarships, improved recruiting by mid-majors and lower-end BCS schools, and players choosing playing time over school reputation is helping to make seasons interesting. The Big East alone has generated attention with Louisville (until this year), USF, and Rutgers. The marquee programs now can't just overload positions nor can they count on winning 9 or 10 games a year.

KBalla08
10-06-2007, 10:12 PM
wow last week so many top teams lost... now 4 more of the top 10 lost... its awesome lol, makes every game really matter

ollinger
10-07-2007, 12:08 PM
"cynicism of the NFL"....what exactly does that mean??? What does your dictionnary say about "cynicism"? College kids play for the love of the game and pros play for dough? Didn't the pros used to be college kids? I have a feeling nearly all of them still love the game, AND like getting payed to play it.

lethalfang
10-07-2007, 01:00 PM
The limits on scholarships, improved recruiting by mid-majors and lower-end BCS schools, and players choosing playing time over school reputation is helping to make seasons interesting. The Big East alone has generated attention with Louisville (until this year), USF, and Rutgers. The marquee programs now can't just overload positions nor can they count on winning 9 or 10 games a year.

All of those are true, which puts even more premium on the coaches.
The mid-majors still have problem sustaining success because they often cannot or will not shell out $2 million per year for their head coach plus assistants: Urban Meyer at Utah, Dan Hawkins at Boise State, etc.

alwaysatnet
10-07-2007, 04:13 PM
That's a warm fuzzy thought, but there's probably a little more to it than that. Scholarships and potential pro career, even in euro or arena leagues may have something to do with it. It's a helluva lot of work to play ball.By and large, what I say is true.
The percentage of college football players going on to professional level football is miniscule. So for the vast majority of kids standing on the side lines and going through all the practices no one is dangling dollars in front of their faces.

Scholarships from football help to pay tuition and such but no one would put those pads on,run the sprints and stairs, and give up their healthy bodies to play football if they didn't basically love the game.

alwaysatnet
10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
"cynicism of the NFL"....what exactly does that mean??? What does your dictionnary say about "cynicism"?It's cynical of the N.F.L. to promote football as the all american game, as they so often do on their own satelite network, by showing little children in Smalltown, U.S.A. playing Pop Warner football with all the attendant mom, flag and apple pie imagery. They attempt to link their product with the best things about America. But it's cynical to ignore the other side of things.

By ignoring the rampant drug use amongst players, the broken and crippled bodies the game creates(forty year olds have the joint problems and bodies of seventy year olds), the criminality of so many players, the free rides and taxpayer financed private football stadiums the owners have extorted from the public,and basically the seamy side of this huge painted up who*re that's the N.F.L., the league cynically treats the average fan like a dope that can't see the dark side of pro football. The Lyle Alzados, Michael Vicks, and Daryl Stingleys, are part of the game too. Peyton Manning is not the rule. He is the exception.

College kids play for the love of the game and pros play for dough? Didn't the pros used to be college kids? I have a feeling nearly all of them still love the game, AND like getting payed to play it.Of course but that's missing the point entirely.
Would LaDamian Thomlinson or Brian Urlacher play for just the love of the game? I doubt it. The college kids are playing out of love for the game primarily.
The kid who is the third string center on North Dakota State will never get a dime out of football (save for how much his partial scholarship is worth) and most likely have an extremely uneventful and non glorius football career that's spent mostly running scout plays against the starters and being a wedge buster on kick off teams (if he's that lucky).
What does that kid get in return from football vs. a Reggie Bush? It isn't even close.

crazysoccer00
10-07-2007, 04:50 PM
all these top schools keep getting beat by bad schools

USC lost to Stanford
Oklahoma lost to colorado
Texas lost to Kansas State

USF is currently #6 and will probably rise in the rankings

Miami, Florida State, Penn State aren't ranked

What's going on, this is nuts

It's almost like the NFL, anyone can beat anyone

lol how could forget to list APP ST. over Michigan?

Even though MICHIGAN IS BACK ON TRACK to go to the ROSE BOWL BABY

soyizgood
10-07-2007, 05:26 PM
lol how could forget to list APP ST. over Michigan?

Even though MICHIGAN IS BACK ON TRACK to go to the ROSE BOWL BABY

App. St. is a 2-time defending I-AA champion. They are actually pretty good, though they probably would struggle in I-A ball.

tenniskid3119
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
the only team that is doing good is LSU. (fun fact for you people, their QB, Matt Flynn, was the QB at my highschool. and one of their linemen played at my school too.)