PDA

View Full Version : Trophy position on the serve, open or closed racketface?

morten
10-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Get it? Open like Sampras/Hewitt or closed like Rios? pros cons? See, i tend to close it too much, for too long resulting in more of a push to the ball rather than getting the full backscratch. Now i will try to "force" it a bit the other way to see how it goes... I can throw a ball far etc, but give me a tennisracket and i mess it up :( Someone thought me the wrong thing when i was a kid.

Jonny S&V
10-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Get it? Open like Sampras/Hewitt or closed like Rios? pros cons? See, i tend to close it too much, for too long resulting in more of a push to the ball rather than getting the full backscratch. Now i will try to "force" it a bit the other way to see how it goes... I can throw a ball far etc, but give me a tennisracket and i mess it up :( Someone thought me the wrong thing when i was a kid.

I have a semi-closed racquet face, if you could see my motion (really fast, think Massu). Try for something in the middle.

tdk
10-07-2007, 09:43 AM
What is a closed rackquet face?

lkdog
10-07-2007, 05:04 PM
It is a style issue. They all get to closed (palm down) on the racquet drop-you have to for a world class serve.

morten
10-08-2007, 04:22 AM
ok, but the problem for me is i turn hand inwards as i am about to hit, too soon, and backscratch suffers. I think going the other way may help me, turning it the opposite way(see Becker,Sampras) that way it wont turn in so soon....

lkdog
10-08-2007, 07:21 AM
ok, but the problem for me is i turn hand inwards as i am about to hit, too soon, and backscratch suffers. I think going the other way may help me, turning it the opposite way(see Becker,Sampras) that way it wont turn in so soon....

Are you using a Continental grip?
Most servers start with the wrist slightly turned in before the toss.
Things can vary a bit when they get to trophy position, but many have it closed to some degree (facing a bit toward court versus side or back).
When dropping into the back loop or collapse the palm has to be facing downward.
When it moves up to the hit-it will be on edge (closed) until the last moment where it then opens up naturally and carves around top right side of ball for most the typical topspin/slice hybrid serve.

Go over to http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/

and check out their serve videos.

It is all easier said than done and I struggle with it myself, but the basics are all the same for all good servers.

morten
10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
backhandgrip, sometimes continental. What do you mean by the palm has to be facing downward..? My problem is that i go to early "on edge" and stay that way, sort of force it...

lkdog
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
backhandgrip, sometimes continental. What do you mean by the palm has to be facing downward..? My problem is that i go to early "on edge" and stay that way, sort of force it...

In your racquet drop moving down behind your head and body if you did not have a racquet in your hand your palm would be facing the back of your head and neck and back of shoulder as it drops down and loops and then heads back up.
This is as opposed to an open palm or "waiter" position that you see beginners using.

Sounds like that is not your problem. You seem to be describing trouble with pronating. Check out the Fuzzy Yellow Balls lesson on pronating. It is excellent.
It should happen without forcing it or thinking about it if you are swinging hard enough. Keep your grip and arm loose, and give the ball a high five. I would use a Continental grip for awhile to make sure you are getting clean contact and the natural pronation you want.