PDA

View Full Version : Backhand.

anthonyxd
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I am a 16 yr old Junior/High School Player. I Currently have a 1HBH but sometimes i feel like it isnt effective at times. Ive been considering 2hbh and think it would make my game better. Is it to late for me to switch? Or should i just work on my 1hbh?

Bagumbawalla
10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
There are many factors you have not mentioned that need to be considered, but the basic, generic, answer is that is it not to late to change some element of your game that is not working.

Will changing to a 2hbh make a difference for you? Maybe, maybe not.

If you are serious about progressing in tennis, this might be the best time to get some professional instruction, since weaning yourself from one ingrained habit and grooving another in its place can be very difficult.

A 1hbh, with proper technique is very effective. A 2hbh with proper technique is also effective. Obviously, you never quite got the 1hbh just right. If you change to a 2hbh and don't get that just right, either, then it will be all for nothing.

Seifersquall1
10-13-2007, 09:14 PM
If you want to make your one-handed backhand to be effective, hit deeply with great topspin. The one-handed backhand has better reach than the two handed so if you're slow, stick to the 1hbh.

paulfreda
10-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Teach yourself the semi-western grip for the backhand.
It will allow your one hander to be potentially a lethal weapon rather than a consistent defensive ball like it is for so many [not all] 2 handers.
Check out Tom Avery's tape on the backhand in Consistent Tennis tape series. There is a clip on this at youtube.com. Search for Tom Avery.
You will be in the company of Kuerten, Gaudio, Lubijic, Henin and many other one handers using a SW grip with outstanding BHs.
Good luck ! !