PDA

View Full Version : my problem with coaches

steveirish
10-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi everybody. I'm 48 and enjoying playing both singles and
doubles. I played out on the street as a youngster, and on some hard courts but didn;t play club tennis until I was in
my 20's.
I've had some coaching on my own and with other members.
But this is the problem I have. Coaches, or at least the ones
I paid money to, seem to be under the impression that every
ball you get is a nice ball. Let's say the coach is teaching you
to play the net. They will invariable feed you good solid balls.
Wheras in a game you might end up getting a ball with no pace on it.
The same goes for forehand or backhand. The coach feeds you nice balls. But in a game, your gonna get good balls, but also dribbly balls.
M

wihamilton
10-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Coaches will feed like this a lot of the time so you can focus on developing solid technique. It's difficult to work out the kinks in your FH / BH / etc. if the feeds are all over the place. Ask your coach if you want to work on footwork / transitions and so on -- then he'll move you around w/his feeds.

Tennismastery
10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
There are two issues I see here: One, you obviously are not communicating to your pro what you feel your needs are. (Or he or she is not listening.)

Second, your pro might be trying to get you to establish effective form by using feeds that don't compromise your balance and allows you to focus on form.

Those items aside, if you alread possess form that is effective, consistent and reliable, then your pro needs to create progressions in your training. That is, add more difficulty to your drills; add more prolific footwork patterns and recovery patterns, vary the speed of feeds as well as spin, add strategic game-situation drills, etc.

Your pro might believe that you already get all those "weird" shots in your daily or weekly matches...thus, the goal is to get you to create more solid strokes and techniques.

Without seeing you play, I can't say for sure if any of these concepts are applicable. But, there should definetely be some common communication between what your perceived needs are and what your coach is trying to accomplish. A sit-down meeting is in need here.

steveirish
10-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Thank you everybody, I appreciate the informed comments.
M

tbini87
10-07-2007, 02:29 PM
i agree with what the others have said. it is hard to work on a certain skills if you are not getting good balls all the time. the pro probably wants you to get a certain shot down so you can use it come match time, and that comes with consistency and repetion. if you want more variety you should just rally or play matches on your own time, or set some time aside with your pro just for that. im sure if you talk to them they will figure something out for you.

steveirish
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
guess i should have said that was about 3 or years ago.

Volkl_4_life
10-20-2007, 08:21 PM
my coach tends to vary the balls he hits to me. I the warm up they tend to be generally the same but after that he uses variation to see how i handle the different balls and if I'm having trouble with a certain type he will put a bit of extra work into that. It works well. But i guess if you havent got your technique set up properly then its best to focus on that first

Cindysphinx
10-21-2007, 04:41 AM
Yep. The drill is that I have to prove I'm doing it correctly before we make it more difficult. The minute Bad Old Habits start creeping back in, we go back to the easy feeds until we chase those habits away again.

This does seem to be a common criticism of pros, however. I have a friend who has given up on instruction because she thinks the balls are too easy and she wants the pro to fire at her like a real match.

Well, OK. It doesn't make much sense to me. It would be like a piano teacher who insists you play a piece at performance tempo before you can even play the piece.