PDA

View Full Version : How to Pick up the ball from beginner to Jedi master

D-man
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I've seen a few requests for how to pick up the ball and thought this was pretty humorous:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_Ac-wtTic

Elyod Nanoc
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
LOL! I like the expert one. I can pick up a tennis ball in other ways in than in the video.

Gee Willikers Batman!
10-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Damn! you guys are good!

I can't pick up a ball at all!

(No opposable thumbs)

:(

Elyod Nanoc
10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Damn! you guys are good!

(No opposable thumbs)

pssst bend over, jk, get a ball hoper, it's cool right?;)

D-man
10-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Damn! you guys are good!

(No opposable thumbs)

Wow, and you still play tennis? But why not use your racquet, and not bend over at all?

Topic may seem stupid , but people have asked about it.

User Name
10-07-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah i definately like expert the most

tennisfa
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
the jedi master one looks really cool...

10nisDude~
10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
well...i can pick the ball up without my racquet feet hands or teeth...i use my mind cuz i believe...and the ball appears in my pocket...JUST BELIEVE!!

AceofBase
10-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Thats some funny **** there!

Gmedlo
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
lol, Jedi master is way easier than expert.

My brother picks them up by sliding his foot from the front of the ball to the back to kick it up, like starting a juggle w/ a soccer ball. He has small feet so it's really easy to get under it.

jasoncho92
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I do it the cool way, i like roll the ball with my right foot to my left foot and the force makes the ball go up and then i bring it up with the racket afterwards. I know im a cool cat -_-

Serpententacle
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
It thought perhaps they would have shown the Jedi Master use the force and make the ball levitate or something...

Whether one way to pick up the ball is better than the other, in my opinion, the method that requires less bending over is the best. You use less energy and minimize back strain. I tend to use the "expert move" from that clip, but don't do the behind the back catch. Simple is better. Save the back!

goober
10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I am going to have to practice the Jedi Master one. I have never seen anybody do that before. The expert one is ridiculous. Going behind your back will look pretty stupid if you miss it and it rolls away.:smile:

Loco4Tennis
10-08-2007, 10:06 AM
jedi master way is how i roll :-)

Bundey
10-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Lol, I to intermediate, except I do it on the same side as my racquet hand, using the outsole of my foot.

Breaker
10-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I definitely was the "Hopeless" one today...looks like I need more practice at picking up balls, I will become a Jedi Master soon enough.

ananda
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
i tried the jedi one today, it doesnt work, i am suspecting some foul play in the video :-)
did he rack have glue on it. or velcro, or some magnets, haha.

goober
10-08-2007, 10:40 PM
i tried the jedi one today, it doesnt work, i am suspecting some foul play in the video :-)

Maybe your level of midi-chlorians is low?

ananda
10-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Maybe your level of midi-chlorians is low?

ack, i was trying the harry potter charm, "ACCIO" which should have put the balls into my pocket straight away.
maybe my magic wand is losing its tension.

Midlife crisis
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM

The Jedi one is easy to do if you have a thin frame. It's nearly impossible to do with a widebody unless you really scrape the court hard with the racquet. With a wood racquet, it's a piece of cake.

Zets147
10-08-2007, 10:56 PM
The hopeless one gets me everytime I see it. Ah, the good ol' days.

kingdaddy41788
10-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Umm... I was expecting a lot more from jedi master. That's not very hard at all. I mean, I do play with a thin beam, but logic suggests to me it would be easier with a pure drive or something with angled edges and what not. But I digress. The "Jedi Master" was very disappointing. Expert is much harder than Jedi master, but even that isn't that impressive.

three eights
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
i think the trick in the jedi is he "flicks" the ball first monster then he picks it up with his racquet.

onehandbh
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
One other way I use occasionally is to hit the ball with
the edge of the frame to pop it up. (so that your
racquet is perpendicular to the ground). It hits it will a lot
more force and will pop up into your hand if you do it right.
(or then switch to strings to bounce it higher)
If you do it wrong and hit the ground a little bit you could
break your racquet though.

Loco4Tennis
10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
jedi master way is how i roll :-)

you know i got to be honest, i pick up the balls like the intermediate version,
i tried to pick up the ball yesterday like the jedi master and ended up flicking the balls over the fence instead, i tried about 20 times, its not easy at all, he must have a trick wrist

ananda
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
i tried the jedi thing today again, but rolled the ball a bit backwards, it worked once.
but i am at one level higher than the jedi .....
i pay a ball boy to pick balls.

TheShaun
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
i saw a guy press down on the back of the ball and have it kind of roll up the strings then scoop it up jedi style. haven't seen it since nor can i do it.

ananda
10-09-2007, 11:32 PM
One other way I use occasionally is to hit the ball with
the edge of the frame to pop it up. (so that your
racquet is perpendicular to the ground). It hits it will a lot
more force and will pop up into your hand if you do it right.
(or then switch to strings to bounce it higher)
If you do it wrong and hit the ground a little bit you could
break your racquet though.
oh s***, i just sliced the earth in half!

benasp
10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
i always used the jedi master technique, from my badminton background. A little tip for those who struggle with it:

Jedi master 101:
It is really a finger technique rather than a wrist, use you index and thumb to flip the racquet and at first try with the racquet more parallel to the ground.