PDA

View Full Version : Gamma synthetic gut - durable?

Bagdatis toy hippo
10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Every 3 weeks now I restring my racquet with Gamma synthetic gut, strung at 53 tension. Most people who hit with me use different strings, and they usually restring it every 2 monthes. I'm not sure if it's true, but the synthetic gut strings seems to ware out real easy. Does anybody know whats up?

jasoncho92
10-07-2007, 06:17 PM
You must be playing with some weak hitters if they restring every 2 months even though the string doesnt break. If that was true and if i didnt break any strings, i would have only had to restring 3 times during the time i played tennis. But 2 months is a stretch for almost any string because the string becomes dead. And 3 weeks is a lot too. But just wondering, if youre a 4.0, shouldnt you be breaking a string at least every week?

40Love
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Take your pick in the Gamma line-you are going to get early breakage. Great strings but they just won't last even for a flat hitter like myself.

Stan
10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Gamma Synthetic Gut with Wearguard is the best of the Gamma line. That's really not saying much as the entire line of Gamma strings is less than impressive and overpriced. The Gamma Syn Gut with Wearguard is very comparable to Prince Syn Gut with duraflex in terms of durability and performance.

shojun25
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Gamma syn gut (no wearguard) is actually a reliable Gamma string (along with TNT2). Its durability is average for a syn gut (lasted me 3 weeks, 3 days a week of playing).

shintan17
10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
You must be playing with some weak hitters if they restring every 2 months even though the string doesnt break. If that was true and if i didnt break any strings, i would have only had to restring 3 times during the time i played tennis. But 2 months is a stretch for almost any string because the string becomes dead. And 3 weeks is a lot too. But just wondering, if youre a 4.0, shouldnt you be breaking a string at least every week?

Not all players above 4.0 hit the ball hard. Some of them just belong there because they are so consistent, and don't make any mental mistakes at all. I kinda understand you, though. My string doesn't last any more than 10 days if I use synthetic. Cheap synthetics don't last long at all, sometimes just one day or less. I personally think Gamma synthetic gut has a better durability than other brands, but of course Prince tops them all in terms of playability.

Sinner
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Bagdatis toy hippo - so in terms of number-of-hours, how long does the Gamma last for you?

BurghKing
10-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Like someone said, the Gamma Syn Gut w/ Wearguard is just about identical to the Prince Syn Gut w/ Dura. At your level of play, 3 weeks is not that bad of wear. However, we would all probably like to know how much you play. If you are only playing once a week, than you should be worried. If you are worried about durability, blend it with a poly and watch the difference in durability and playability increase tremendously!

shintan17
10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Like someone said, the Gamma Syn Gut w/ Wearguard is just about identical to the Prince Syn Gut w/ Dura. At your level of play, 3 weeks is not that bad of wear. However, we would all probably like to know how much you play. If you are only playing once a week, than you should be worried. If you are worried about durability, blend it with a poly and watch the difference in durability and playability increase tremendously!

I was using Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex for a few weeks, and none of them lasted more than 2 days, so the durability is not great, but if you consider the cost, that's not too bad (less than $4). I stopped using it because I didn't want to spend my time every other day stringing the racquet. I played about 2 hours of hard hitting a day at 4.0 level, so hopefully you can compare your experience to mine.