PDA

View Full Version : This split screen video may help

Uthree
10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Do the theories on this website resonate with anyone here? After years of searching for solutions I met the author of this site and my game turned around.

http//:www.bradlangevad.net

I'm told that over twenty years ago this may have been the first example split screen video.

Uthree
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
It does take a while to digest this site but there will be one or two keen students of the game who will like some of the alternate views. Helps you think out side the square.

adamsieminski
10-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I went and reviewed the site this afternoon. I'm not really sure exactly how I should phrase this reply, because I don't want it to sound like I am bashing anyone or being irreverent.

I do not understand any of the material presented on the site. It consists of what I would call a jumble of video clips thrown together without regard to any kind of consistent framework for teaching. The videos themselves do not instruct on the topic they claim to. Some of the videos are completely mislabled.

For example, on the main page, there is a thumbnail link called "Calculus." I followed the link thinking I would listen to something on how you can measure or estimate forces and speeds by applying calculus. Instead, I watched a lecture on how power was not important in tennis strokes.

If I click on the "Teaching" thumbnail, and then the "Tennis" thumbnail, and then the "Serve" thumbnail, I again expected to learn something about how to hit a serve. Instead, I watched a video for 5 minutes of people hitting serves interspersed with clips from some video game of a guy snorkeling around in the Carribbean. All the while, no instruction was presented. Instead, I listened to Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers."

I am sorry, I do not know what else to say here. The website could not be more poorly organised. The content is not topical at all.

I would advise people to simply steer clear of this site. If you do feel like watching through the videos, please post though if you learn something.

Other tennis instruction websites such as Virtual Tennis Academy, Tennis One, Hi Tech Tennis or Tennisplayer.net have more to offer.

Speaking from my persepective as a videographer:

To the original poster of this message, I must also tell you that split screen has been around longer than 1987. For example, it was used in the 1903 movie "Life of an American Fireman." It was also used in many movies after that to show two people conversing on the phone at the same time. As for the first use of split screen to directly compare the motions of two different athletes performing the same action, I am less certain.

Again, I'm not here to bash, I am simply presenting my review of the site. I am sure that Brad Langevad is a very competent sports motion and biometrics analyst, but that is lost in the presentation of the website.

Adam

Uthree
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree the site is a trifle wacky! I struggled with it at first.

Yes there are other web sites with more impressive video quality and other better features. However the other sites do not present these alternate views and that is probably a good reason for others, like yourself, to check it out, so in this age of information they are aware of what is possible.

It does uses a "perfect" model theory which also could scare some away but there is a demo where Rusedski changed serve to prevent injury and as we saw Rusedski still kept a unique serve to the end of his career.

Like me, others may have to be half crazy or persistent to warm to this site but there are many players out there carrying injuries and maybe this is the only way they can access these proposed solutions.

Don