PDA

View Full Version : Wilson NXT 16 gauge

j30tennis
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Any feedback on NXT 16 gague string? Durabilty and how it holds tension?

J011yroger
10-07-2007, 08:22 PM
NXT isn't so hot, doesn't hold tension well. NXT Tour however is a great string.

But I would reccomend Technifibre NRG2. It is basically the same string as NXT Tour and is cheaper I believe.

Technifibre makes NXT Tour for Wilson, (It says made in France on the package)

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be telling you this stuff since I am a wilson player :)

Go ahead, try the NXT Tour.

J

shojun25
10-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with roger. NXT Tour is a much better string in all aspects than NXT, but NXT is still a good string. Durability is about the same, however, but NXT frays a lot. Good tension maintenance, and it has a lot of pop.

j30tennis
10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Oops, my bad did not know there was 2 different nxt strings. I actually did get my racquets strung with wilson nxt tour 16 gauge. 3 LE os Rads strung with nxt tour 16 at 60.

J011yroger
10-08-2007, 03:44 AM
You should like it. NXT Tour is where its at. 60 might be a bit high, but if it allows you to swing out, then you should be OK, and can drop back lower once you get a bit more comfortable.

J

vinnier6
10-08-2007, 06:15 AM
60 isnt too high, i was using nxt and nxt tour for over a year, and strung them up at 62-65lbs...when using one of these really high powered strings i found the tighter the better....the biggest problem with nxt, is that it only feels good when freshly strung...tour last a bit longer but not long enough....i would go a different way, either a hybrid with poly or a full poly setup...

j30tennis
10-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Jo11, I figured I would give 60 a shot hoping it would allow me to swiong through the ball more, mostly a mental issue.

Valjean
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Oops, my bad did not know there was 2 different nxt strings. I actually did get my racquets strung with wilson nxt tour 16 gauge. 3 LE os Rads strung with nxt tour 16 at 60.
Actually to date there are four. And before you go all the way to NXT Tour, there would be NXT Max; here are the string reviews for NXT and NXT Max, anyhow:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/NXTMAX16/NXTMAX16Review.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/NXT16/NXT16Review.html

The third, NXT OS, is too frequently overlooked, either because it's not available enough or it's mistakenly believed to be exclusively for oversize racquets (and the people who play with them!). However, it holds tension the best of any of the four, and is available in a 16L, a very beneficial gauge. Here's that one's review too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200407/wilson_nxt_os.html

757tennis
10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
i had it on my ncode ntour 95, it lost tension pretty fast i played good with it for half of the summer and i got into a tournament and used it for a few games for more control and it felt completely different

Bubba
10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
NXT isn't so hot, doesn't hold tension well. NXT Tour however is a great string.

But I would reccomend Technifibre NRG2. It is basically the same string as NXT Tour and is cheaper I believe.

Technifibre makes NXT Tour for Wilson, (It says made in France on the package)

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be telling you this stuff since I am a wilson player :)

Go ahead, try the NXT Tour.

J

Jo11y,
Agree 100% about NXT Tour - fantastic string. BUT... I've just switched from it (after couple years of faithful use) to X-1 Biphase. Like it a bit more and the price is slightly cheaper.

However, with either string the durability is *good*, in so far as a string like this can be. I've found it holds up pretty well against notching and fray and they have really good tension maintenance. If you've (OP) never tried these, NRG2 as well (but NRG2 tension maintenance isn't as good), then you are missing out on a great couple of strings.

J011yroger
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
60 isnt too high, i was using nxt and nxt tour for over a year, and strung them up at 62-65lbs...when using one of these really high powered strings i found the tighter the better....the biggest problem with nxt, is that it only feels good when freshly strung...tour last a bit longer but not long enough....i would go a different way, either a hybrid with poly or a full poly setup...

Yes, but you are failing to take into account one thing. He is my friend, and I know how he hits :)

J

J011yroger
10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Jo11y,
Agree 100% about NXT Tour - fantastic string. BUT... I've just switched from it (after couple years of faithful use) to X-1 Biphase. Like it a bit more and the price is slightly cheaper.

However, with either string the durability is *good*, in so far as a string like this can be. I've found it holds up pretty well against notching and fray and they have really good tension maintenance. If you've (OP) never tried these, NRG2 as well (but NRG2 tension maintenance isn't as good), then you are missing out on a great couple of strings.

lol. I break it in an hour, so it is hard for me to comment on tension maintenance.

J