PDA

View Full Version : attacking the net more

tennispal
10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
a while ago, my volleys were the best part of my game. as i improved, my groundstokes got a more consistent and mroe powerful, and now i can rally easily with the big guys. However, wat i find happening is that i am moving slightly behind the baseline and preferring to rally and stay consistent. I want to develope an all court game, and i really need to find opportunities to come to the net more. Don't get me wrong, if there is a short or weak ball i still follow it to the net. should i sneak in more after good deep groundstrokes? should i risk consistency by taking the ball earlier?

thanks in advance

downdaline
10-08-2007, 12:32 AM
my friend, u and i are in the same boat.

I used to attack the net like crazy, but then as i played more and better players, their passing shots forced me to stay back more often.

You mentioned it pretty well, come in after good deep groundstrokes or after taking it on the rise.

But remember that the best time to approach is when the opponent is scrambling for the ball and you expect him to come up with a weak reply.

I usually approach the net on a slice backhand/forehand or after hitting a wide angle drive on the side lines.

tennispal
10-08-2007, 06:26 PM
comon ppl i need opinions...

Jack Romeo
10-08-2007, 08:22 PM
well, how's your serve? if you can develop a big kicker and wide slider then you'll have the basic shots for serve and volley play. also, try developing a really good slice. even better if you can develop good slices from both sides. why? so you can chip and charge on the second serve return. i think these techniques/tactics will allow you to be more aggressive without necessarily compromising your consistency. another thing is, like you said, take the ball earlier.

z-money
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
there is the serve-volley move. i love that one
or you could chip and charge!!!! hit a slice with a bit of spin and get your but in (the idea is the slice will be slow allowing you to get an extra step or two in to the net)

Slazenger
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
As you get better and start playing better opponents, you find that your opponents are hitting better passes. They're harder, dip more, have more accurate direction etc so you are going to have to counter this with better volleys.
It sounds like your volley technique is good and you are comfortable at net, so the only other thing for you to do is to force yourself to come in and start to deal with the better shots.

This is actually when volleying becomes more fun.

I would start off coming behind really good approaches, when you expect weak replies.
Once you build come confidence try coming in on approaches up the middle right to your opponent. This will give you a more difficult shot to volley plus you have to anticipate direction (or if he will lob). You will subconsciously start to read body language and improve reaction time just by doing this plus you get to work on stretch volleys.

There's a lot more but I'm sure others will give you the advice. Good luck at net!

tennispal
10-11-2007, 08:16 PM
does chip and charge really work and SV really work in today's game? esp. chip and charge

fuzz nation
10-12-2007, 07:00 AM
If you saw any of the coverage of Baghdatis at the US Open against Max Mirnyi, Marcos got punished every time he missed a first serve - Max would chip and charge like a demon and put huge pressure on Baggy-man's second serve. Oh, Mirnyi also won the match.

The transition game isn't something you "just do", it's really more of an art form at its higher levels. In that match, Max was walking a very fine line and could only press Baghdatis when he followed a nice deep return that landed no more than about a foot-and-a-half inside the baseline. It was really a clinic in terms of following certain shots to net.

Singles demands the patience to wait for opportunities and then do the smart thing with them. Hitting the ball on the rise is good for taking time away from your opponent, but you never want to be donating points, so I'd say to use that tactic wisely. Agassi would take the ball early more to keep his opponent on the defensive and open up the court, but hey, it worked to perfection.

Taking the ball early (if you do it well) can also induce a weak shot from your scrambling opponent that is easy to follow in to the net. The catch for me is that I need to go in behind a slice off either side - it flies slower, but with depth and gives me time to move further to the net and get set up. Moving in to drive a short ball is good, but I want to hit it away from my opponent if I follow it to net or else the ball will be on the way back at me before I can get myself established up front.

Attacking the net creates lots of pressure, even today, so learn to keep doing it when the opportunities are there.