PDA

View Full Version : good idea or not?

randomname
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I was just messing around the other day trying to make my serve motion as simple as possible, and I tried starting with my weight on my front foot instead of starting out with it further back and rocking forward. Anyway, Ive been doing it for about a week getting good results, but anyway, is this a good idea? I've never seen a pro do this so it makes me wonder if this is technically wrong

tbini87
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I was just messing around the other day trying to make my serve motion as simple as possible, and I tried starting with my weight on my front foot instead of starting out with it further back and rocking forward. Anyway, Ive been doing it for about a week getting good results, but anyway, is this a good idea? I've never seen a pro do this so it makes me wonder if this is technically wrong

it seems like you would not be getting enough power or momentum on your serve... is this true? do you toss the ball out in front and finish into the court? i would recommend to not take the easy way out or go for instant results, but to practice sound fundamentals and do it the right way. how long have you been playing? consistency will come with time and practice, so practice correctly and good luck!

WildVolley
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM

It isn't terribly wrong, but it probably isn't optimal either. I don't think a lot of the serve power comes from that rocking motion. Bending your legs and letting your hip shift out over the court as you jump is more important in my mind. Many people go too far the other way, and toss the ball with almost all their weight on the back foot. This usually leads to a timing problem.

I'd just work on gently rocking back and then shifting your weight onto the front foot as your hand lifts to toss the ball. Keep the motion small, controlled, and consistent, and you should find that it doesn't make your serve more difficult. Consistency is going to be the key. Your serve has probably improved because you're finding it easier to do the same thing each time.

metamike
10-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Anything that works better for you is good, since everyone's play style is different. If with your weight on your back foot you get like 3/10 serves in, and 7/10 with weight on front foot, go for the one that works better. If they're the same in results...do whichever one comes more naturally.

Tennis_Monk
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
With out a video, it is hard to say good or bad. Often what one describes may not exactly describe the reality.