PDA

View Full Version : Motion Analysis please.... (video #3 inside)

tdk
10-08-2007, 04:24 AM
This is a video from last year. Feel free to analyze and give me some pointers on how to improve my technique on FH, BH and serve. Also, can you tell me what level I might be at.

http://sports.topeverything.com/default.aspx?p=showprivatecontent&ID=8692849D

Thanks on beforehand.

Tom

HotCarl
10-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Judging only from your strokes [since that's all we see :)] I'd say you are a solid 3.5. If you have great movement and strategy, 4.0 possibly.

Once piece of advice for you would be to stay down longer on your shots. You pull your head up too quickly, which causes the rest of your body to come out of it's coil. This interrupts your kinetic chain and costs you power and accuracy. Watch some slow motion videos of Federer on Youtube, to see the way it should be done.

This is hard to explain but . . . It might help to imagine a line through your body, going straight down through your head and torso, and out the bottom of your abdomen. You want to keep this perpendicular to the court at all times. Picture this: "T", but upside down. This keeps you balanced when you hit, and allows the kinetic chain to work optimally. When the line is no longer perpendicular, [because you are leaning over, coming up early, etc], your stokes will be adversely affected. Just picture this when watching Fed, you'll see what I mean.

Also, try moving so the ball is always in your "strike zone". It got somewhat better as the video went on, but your first few forehands were really off balance. The ball was too low and out in front of you. Use your feet to get your body in a position so that the ball is at the optimal contact point for your stokes, your "strike zone".

Hope that helps. Keep at it :)

lkdog
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Looks like a pretty solid player with controlled strokes.
Racquet head speed is a little lacking so I am guessing that the ground strokes are not very heavy or penetrating. Seems like you could use a little more coil on backswing-especially on BH side.
You hit it late on the BH side it appears. Actually your coil increased on later FH's in video.
Serve looks pretty solid.
Thanks for posting.
My basic thought is that there is some untapped power potential to be had that would get you to the next level.

kevhen
10-08-2007, 10:55 AM
3.5-4.0 strokes, kept looking better and better the more you hit. Footwork was ok but often flat-footed. You seem to take the ball very deep but the ball machine was kicking them pretty high at times but early on they were short and you weren't moving forward enough. Later on you were backing up instead of just hitting on the rise. Forehand looks more consistent and better than backhand. Serve looks ok for 3.5-4.0 player. Cool slow-mo video, thanks for sharing.

tdk
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
HotCarl, very good observation that Im reaching for the ball with my upper body and that it should be more perpendicuar to the court. All my coaches have told me to stay lower but I looks like Im not bending my legs enough. This I will pay serious attention to next lesson. Im not really sure I understand where my proper strike zone is. I have been adviced by one coach to take small steps to set up my position and then step big into the ball. That is what I have worked into my system at the moment.

ikdog, yes, there is some untapped power and I should be playing at a much higher level than I do at the moment. Its frustrating to be trapped like Im now. Im inconsistent when I play and make a lot of unforced errors. My serve is my best wepon but I loose most of the ralleys.

kevhen, that is not a ball mashin so thats why the balls keep comming at inconsistent depth and speed. Im trying to hit the ball as it falls so that is the reason Im mooving back. What is flat-footed? Should I step more on my toes like a soccer player? Yes, my serve is much better than my ground strokes and my BH is my weekest shot. The ones on the video are the best I can do.

How often do you guys suggest I practise?