PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Mains/ Kevlar Crosses hybrid -- please share experiences

the Town Sherif
10-08-2007, 06:25 AM
For those of you who like to keep the gut feel predominantly in their stick, but want the added spin from a poly without it's loss of tension, please describe your experiences with the following hybrid mentioned in the title:

Natural Gut Mains/ Kevlar Crosses hybrid

Steve Huff
10-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Kevlar is stiff as a board regardless of what string you hybrid it with. I wouldn't waste money on natural gut unless you're just looking for ways to spend money.

JavierLW
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
For those of you who like to keep the gut feel predominantly in their stick, but want the added spin from a poly without it's loss of tension, please describe your experiences with the following hybrid mentioned in the title:

Kevlar loses more tension than Poly does. (way more, it's like off the scale in terms of tension loss)

fastdunn
10-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Yeah, I thought about it but

1. As Steve Huff said it's way to stiff (unless I go really lose tension on cross)

2. It loses lots of tension. I am not sure how it will affect performance of hybrid.

3. There aren't many string packages that are kevlar only. most I know are kevlar hybrid already.

User Name
10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
i hate the kevlar in the crosses, i broke the strings in minutes and it felt too mushy

Tennissee
01-18-2010, 06:34 AM
I know this is an old thread, but the OP's question was somewhat interesting to me. I thought you use kevlar because of its durability and NG for its playability (feel, touch, softness, etc.) So what do y'all think about the other way around as suggested by the OP:

Kevlar Mains / NG Crosses

You can use pretty thin-gauged kevlar (17g or even 18g) for the durability and spins. You'll still get good feel from the NG in the crosses. Personally, I have never broken a cross before. I hit all kinds of spins, which leads to breakage in the mains only.

What do y'all think?

Cruzer
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
I know this is an old thread, but the OP's question was somewhat interesting to me. I thought you use kevlar because of its durability and NG for its playability (feel, touch, softness, etc.) So what do y'all think about the other way around as suggested by the OP:

Kevlar Mains / NG Crosses

You can use pretty thin-gauged kevlar (17g or even 18g) for the durability and spins. You'll still get good feel from the NG in the crosses. Personally, I have never broken a cross before. I hit all kinds of spins, which leads to breakage in the mains only.

What do y'all think?

It is still a waste of natural gut to hybrid it with kevlar. If you like kevlar that much you could use an inexpensive multi and have the feel as gut and kevlar.

KickservKyle
01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
+1 on the waste of money. The stringbed will feel mostly like any Kevlar hybrid. In fact I think it would be hard to notice a blind test of Kevlar/VS against Problend.
I've done Kevlar hybrids of all kinds and BY FAR my favorite is Kevlar 16/ Timo 18 at <40lbs. Butter.

louis netman
01-20-2010, 06:05 PM

No..............

Lambsscroll
03-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Andre Agassi won a few Slams with 16g kevlar mains and 15L natural gut crosses early in his career. He uses poly now.

Bud
03-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Kevlar is stiff as a board regardless of what string you hybrid it with. I wouldn't waste money on natural gut unless you're just looking for ways to spend money.

Completely agree.

Beside that, you always want Kevlar in the mains. It feels crappy as a cross.

kiteboard
03-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Most who use kevlar, use ashaway. Good control and spin/durability, but little power unless strung low, with a stiff frame.

dekko1
03-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Kevlar should be strung on the mains, people play with Kevlar for its durability, if you string it on the crosses than what is the point!
As Lambsscroll wrote, Agassi won many tournaments with Kevlar in the mains and Nat gut in the crosses; and I also think it is not a bad combination, better than a lot of hybrids that are sold these days.

JT_2eighty
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Kevlar loses more tension than Poly does. (way more, it's like off the scale in terms of tension loss)

This is ok, because kevlar is never elastic/resilient to begin with. Even a dramatic loss of tension in kevlar still plays like piano wire. Actually, as it loses tension, when crossed with gut, it just opens up that pocket. I've never been a proponent of using gut as a cross, but in this setup, i've found a very nice groove. Using an 18x20, you can string this stuff real low, and still get ridiculous control, bite, and spin.

The other great thing this has above any poly or poly hybrid is better net touch. I can hit touch shots as well as putaway volleys with these strings better than any poly i've tried. And it's response to varied swingspeeds is quite nice too. My long, fast groundstrokes can produce some tightly controlled spin and depth, while shorter, slower swings still bite into the ball well, so I am liking this as an all-court/doubles setup. Sure, it's a bit pricey, but that's why I'm crossing mine with unifibre cheapo gut, which is practically a 15L but still a very elastic, durable one.

The Dark Knight
11-04-2013, 02:05 AM

Love it but I tried it the other way around

Kevlar mains gut crosses with 10 pound differential

The Dark Knight
11-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Kevlar should be strung on the mains, people play with Kevlar for its durability, if you string it on the crosses than what is the point!
As Lambsscroll wrote, Agassi won many tournaments with Kevlar in the mains and Nat gut in the crosses; and I also think it is not a bad combination, better than a lot of hybrids that are sold these days.

Agree!!!!!

Shroud
11-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Totally agree here! +1

Kevlar is all about control and durability. If you are a big hitter and break strings and want a low powered response, it doesnt get any better than kevlar. Gut helps bring some of the feel back, and is a great combo, better than the syngut hybrids.

Also because it is stiff, you can string kevlar at 20lbs and it is still playable and not a rocket launcher but still comfy....

Sander001
11-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Kevlar loses more tension than Poly does. (way more, it's like off the scale in terms of tension loss)Agreed and even though the tension loss is offset by the stiffness, I still cannot get consistent playability. Tried well over 20 Times just this past summer(though of course in that number tried different tensions and cross strings).

Kevlar is stiff as a board regardless of what string you hybrid it with. I wouldn't waste money on natural gut unless you're just looking for ways to spend money.+1

henman_fan
11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
There are no figures, but poly has very low friction and is very slippery. Kevlar may have high friction (no figures) which would make it a poor choice.

The Dark Knight
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
The scientific fact is that Kevlar hold tension better than any string next to Natural gut.

Racquet Sports Industry magazine:

Kevlar is the stiffest, most durable synthetic string available,[13] and is thus extremely hard to break. It is one of the best strings in terms of tension holding capability (next to natural gut).

And as far as gut it works .....just ask anyone who has actually tried the setup.....the only nay Sayers are people who have never actually tried the set up. They think they know but never actually tried it.

Shroud
11-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Agreed and even though the tension loss is offset by the stiffness, I still cannot get consistent playability. Tried well over 20 Times just this past summer(though of course in that number tried different tensions and cross strings).

+1

Hey Sander001 that is interesting that you couldnt get consistent playability.

I always get that with kevlar, especially now that I prestretch the mains and crosses.

I tried poly twice as mains. Once was ALu power and techno NRG as crosses. Talk about lack of consistency. It really was that the string bed changed on every shot and no to shots had the same feeling. Very bizarre.

The other time I used Gamma IO I think as mains with synthetic gut duraflex as a cross. It was a great combo for about 45 minutes and then things started sailing.

Kevlar will last me a long time and play fairly consistent, especially if the crosses hold tension.

here is a post that talks a bit about the benefits of kevlar and jive with my own experiences:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=7552647&postcount=8

Out of the 20 you tried what was the best combo?

The Dark Knight
11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
It is still a waste of natural gut to hybrid it with kevlar. If you like kevlar that much you could use an inexpensive multi and have the feel as gut and kevlar.

No because multi die quick and feel like mush.

Kevlar and gut last in playability longer than any other string.

The Dark Knight
11-04-2013, 02:44 PM

I always get that with kevlar, especially now that I prestretch the mains and crosses.

I tried poly twice as mains. Once was ALu power and techno NRG as crosses. Talk about lack of consistency. It really was that the string bed changed on every shot and no to shots had the same feeling. Very bizarre.

The other time I used Gamma IO I think as mains with synthetic gut duraflex as a cross. It was a great combo for about 45 minutes and then things started sailing.

Kevlar will last me a long time and play fairly consistent, especially if the crosses hold tension.

here is a post that talks a bit about the benefits of kevlar and jive with my own experiences:

Out of the 20 you tried what was the best combo?

He has read it before but doesn't care he simply has a personal vendetta against me.

But I'll post traveler jams experiences:

The point of kevlar mains vs poly is twofold:

1. It is 3x stiffer than poly. This permits a stringbed with high enough stiffness for excellent control even when the crosses are strung at very low tension.

2. It holds tension much better than poly (after it is either pre-stretched or broken-in).

I believe kevlar mains are key to the success of this setup.

As for other materials in crosses, I tried 15L nylon already. The results were similar to the ZX (really nice), but only for the first 1-2 hrs of play. After that, the stringbed transformed from a low-friction stringbed to a locked stringbed and played similar to conventionally string kevlar/nylon after that. Monogut ZX will not lock like nylon (unless strung very tight). Poly crosses might work ok, but since they don't hold tension nearly as well as pre-stretched Monogut ZX, the stiffness of the stringbed would soften faster over time.

I've played with kevlar/poly hybrids almost exclusively for the past 5-6 years. Once the stringbed gets soft (because the poly loses a lot of tension), the setup becomes extremely spinny, but the launch angle is high so directional control suffers and volleys and flat shots are not very precise.

The point of this thread is that I am getting the dual benefits of a stiff stringbed (excellent directional precision) and a soft low-friction stringbed (extreme spin potential) at the same time. In my experience, that is not possible with a conventional string setup. Before, I either had to choose one or the other or compromise with something in between. Now I don't have to choose anymore.

Sander001
11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Out of the 20 you tried what was the best combo?Like you in the other thread I'm trying it in a very open pattern so everything's exaggerated and the launch angles are very extreme. Ash 16 x Black Code 16 was the best from the Kevlar trials and now I'm trying 4GS and I'm getting much more control, much more consistency and much more comfort.

Shroud
11-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Like you in the other thread I'm trying it in a very open pattern so everything's exaggerated and the launch angles are very extreme. Ash 16 x Black Code 16 was the best from the Kevlar trials and now I'm trying 4GS and I'm getting much more control, much more consistency and much more comfort.

What tensions were you using and how open was that pattern.

Was the lack of control on certain shots or across the board?