PDA

View Full Version : The heretic?

sureshs
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Was watching TTC last nite (is there anything else on TV worth watching?) and there was this program on Northern CA tennis resorts. One of them features a fromer pro, Peter Burwash, who was ranked as high as #63 on the tour (he says he was never a good player). In his clinic, he teaches that "racquet back early" and "keep your eyes on the ball" are teachings which made no sense even when he was a pro.

To illustrate, he had someone feed a ball, and then moved away from it and swung in the wrong direction, completely missing the ball. Then he asks: when did you last see that happen? He teaches "triple vision" - watch the ball, court and opponent (I think) all at the same time, not "keep your eye on the ball".

He also says 99% of current pros cannot volley because they have been taught to punch the ball - he says you should "catch it", not punch it.

#63 is a ranking most players (and most coaches) will never reach, so there must be something here?

Dunlopkid
10-08-2007, 08:08 AM
I saw that too. It definitely seems interesting. Especially the volleying bit seems right on.

smoothtennis
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Peter Burwash is good. I have his book Total Tennis, and I learned most of what I know about tennis from this book over the years. I hear what he is saying, but guys that can't keep from lifting thier heads early, need to pay more attention to staying with the ball, than others might have to.

bhupaes
10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
What is the difference between "punch" and "catch"? Can anyone provide an illustration? Thanks in advance.

Frank Silbermann
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
What is the difference between "punch" and "catch"? Can anyone provide an illustration? Thanks in advance. Compare the motion when you slap a handball versus when you try to catch a baseball.

sureshs
10-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I was watching Justine now and she seemed to punching her volleys. I think "catching" is good for short drop-shot type of volleys to get it way in front of the opponent. I have done it myself in doubles when both opponents were at the baseline. But to put it away at an angle once and for all, punching looks like the way to go. Also how do you catch if the ball is coming fast at you.

I suspect many coaches start off with these ideas which sound new the first time (and perhaps sound new to each batch of recreational players that keep coming). Over the years, it becomes their "trademark" and they probably just keep repeating it.

Slazenger
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
For me, there are volleys that I punch and volleys that I catch.
Typically 'touch' volleys (drop volleys, lob volleys), half-volleys, volleys hit below net height etc have the 'catch' feel.

High forehand volleys, high backhand volleys definitely have a punching motion to them.

sureshs
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
For me, there are volleys that I punch and volleys that I catch.
Typically 'touch' volleys (drop volleys, lob volleys), half-volleys, volleys hit below net height etc have the 'catch' feel.

High forehand volleys, high backhand volleys definitely have a punching motion to them.

Seems to be an excellent analysis