PDA

View Full Version : Poly and pain...

saram
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I made the switch in early August to Poly strings. Hit with all of the mentioned below:

BB Alu Original
Fluoro
Ballistic Polymono
Polylon

Did not have shoulder problems until the last month. I have increased my amount of court time considerably as well; sometimes playing six days in a row. I have had spells like my recent time on court though without any shoulder pain at all.

I am curious...I never had pain with the iPrestige mids. I swithced to poly and the FXP Prestige mid in early August as well as the poly. I am curious if anyone has shoulder pain with either the FXP or poly or the combination of both.

The pain is intense, on the front and back of the shoulder and surrounding the joint. Tonight, one forehand sent the pain all the way down to my wrist and I stopped after two or three more shots. I imagine I'm off the courts for some time.

Do you think it's the new FXP's, the poly, the combination of them both? And, lastly...has poly ever been a catalyst to rotator cuff injuries?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

gerikoh
10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
i don't know about those strings but i don't have any problems with mine.

Valjean
10-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Using poly hastens and encourages the development of what is termed overuse injury. Add in your suddenly extended playing time, and any muscle/nerve/tendon stress resulting from the new stick. Now, what do YOU think?

saram
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Using poly hastens and encourages the development of what is termed overuse injury. Add in your suddenly extended playing time, and any muscle/nerve/tendon stress resulting from the new stick. Now, what do YOU think?

I think probably what you are hinting at. When I was a cyclist, I rotated several 'recovery' or 'easy' days into my training.

I have had extended playing time/intensity months before, but I was using synth gut or nylon and never had this problem in the shoulder--only the elbow. I don't notice anything within the elbow.

Your point is noted though, and thanks for your thoughts...they echo my thoughts on recover/rest...

steve s
10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
The last two polys you listed are two of the most stiff, polys ever made IMO.

tbini87
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
i would bet it is a combo of all those things. i think poly strings definately have something to do with it. especially if you are using stiff poly (polylon) and aren't decreasing the tension enough to compensate for stiffness. if you are using full poly you should hybrid, and if you are using hybrid you might need to find some really soft poly or go back to what did not cause pain. hope you rest up and are feeling better soon.

bmichaelia
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Try one in a hybrid setup w a soft syn gut cross. I bet that'll make a big difference for you.

My first two experiences with all poly resulted in elbow and shoulder pain within 2 weeks. Switched to a hybrid and never a problem again - also switched to a softer poly, Topspin Cyberflash, and now Cyberpower.

MomentumGT
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I switched to polylon about the same time you did and loved the benefits on every stroke but the serve. It gave me some serious shoulder pain as well. I hybrid the polylon with a syn gut and found out you had to decrease the tension to compensate for the stiffness...feel like an idiot cuz I had it strung at my usual 68lbs...I rested for a week with stretching then went back to playing. So far no serious pain just the usual soreness of playing for 3+ hours straight. Sticks are now strung at 58lbs.

-Jon

carac
10-09-2007, 12:12 PM
As a player with FXP Prestige Mid+ I must agree - it's 90% from the strings (and tension!) and maybe 10% from the frame - the frame is indeed very demanding and stiff and combined with the dense pattern any stiff string can result in injuries if the tension is too high (for a stiff poly anything that is not 10-15% lower than synthetic gut) and the hit is not perfect.
I am also recovering after similar problems (from ALU Power Rough, which however remains so far the best control+power string that I have ever played with) and right now I mostly play natural gut mains (hight tension) + soft poly crosses (low tension). In a few weeks I hope I'll get better and I'll test something like ALU fluoro mains + OG Micro crosses ...

saram
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I do appreciate all of the feedback here. I have dropped from 62 to 52 in my tension. I strung everything up with tournament nylon last night as it is pretty soft and I'll stick with that for a week or two with a lot of days off.

Just my luck that I tried out the stiffest two strings with the tightest stringbed...

Again--thanks for all of the input.

nickb
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Its simple: if you have pain get rid of the poly

saram
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Its simple: if you have pain get rid of the poly

Actually, not all that simple. Worked on my strokes today and hit the ball more out in front rather than back in my swing. Hit with my O3 Tour mids today with poly in them and no pain. Only slight tighness once I returned home. So it is either the strokes, or the FXP mids causing the discomfort. I'm thinking maybe my strokes were off.

Muscle memory is our friend...

gerikoh
10-09-2007, 08:53 PM
come on! like all strings is very capable of injuring anyone. you just have to be used to it. unless you can afford the non-durable and expensive natural gut.

nickb
10-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Strings DO injure peoiple.....take the 3 teaching pros at my club...all of them had to give up their pro career (around 300-1000 in the world) becuase of severe arm problems they eventually had surgery on...

Guess what?....they all used full luxilon ALU!....2 out of the 3 blame the combination of string and racquet...

f2fanatic
10-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Polys are not all the same. Last winter, playing inside once or twice a week, I had tennis elbow fro the first time (I am 55), to the point of having difficulty lifting a frying pan from the stove. I thought it was the strings or the racquets; I did not want to stop playing because spring and the outside season was coming so I did what most "old guys do", I put on a brace on my arm to keep playing.

Then one day I was playing outside finally with my brace and the guy next to us who is now on the Virginia tech tennis team tells me: you are playing with Dunlop Grand prix balls!! They hurt elbows badly!!

So I dumped them all, kept my racquets and my polys playing 6 to 7 days a week all summer and guess what?? Tennis elbow is gone.

Here are the polys I have played with during this period:

SPPP 1.18
Polylon SP 17
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.25

They are all considered softer polys and they were not causing the pain, strung on PT630, PC600 or RDX 500

End of MY story!! Yours could differ.

saram
10-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Polys are not all the same. Last winter, playing inside once or twice a week, I had tennis elbow fro the first time (I am 55), to the point of having difficulty lifting a frying pan from the stove. I thought it was the strings or the racquets; I did not want to stop playing because spring and the outside season was coming so I did what most "old guys do", I put on a brace on my arm to keep playing.

Then one day I was playing outside finally with my brace and the guy next to us who is now on the Virginia tech tennis team tells me: you are playing with Dunlop Grand prix balls!! They hurt elbows badly!!

So I dumped them all, kept my racquets and my polys playing 6 to 7 days a week all summer and guess what?? Tennis elbow is gone.

Here are the polys I have played with during this period:

SPPP 1.18
Polylon SP 17
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.25

They are all considered softer polys and they were not causing the pain, strung on PT630, PC600 or RDX 500

End of MY story!! Yours could differ.

You are correct about the balls, my friend. A friend of mine received a bunch of Slazenger and Dunlop balls for working the Cincy tournament and we played with them for a period of time. Every one of us thought the balls were extremely heavy, and 'stiffer' (if that makes sense). All four of us had elbow pain each time we finished playing. The balls lasted an incredible amount of time (about 7 sets) and seemed fresh the next day as well. But, the pain within the arm caused him (my friend) to throw all of his balls, brand new, into the hopper for our teaching/coaching on monday nights.

Several of us as well, have found that the Wilson TI's that you get at wal-mart are pretty darn harsh on the elbows as well. Although Penn's seem to last only about a half of a set, they are the most forgiving and softest on the arm...

tbini87
10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
You are correct about the balls, my friend. A friend of mine received a bunch of Slazenger and Dunlop balls for working the Cincy tournament and we played with them for a period of time. Every one of us thought the balls were extremely heavy, and 'stiffer' (if that makes sense). All four of us had elbow pain each time we finished playing. The balls lasted an incredible amount of time (about 7 sets) and seemed fresh the next day as well. But, the pain within the arm caused him (my friend) to throw all of his balls, brand new, into the hopper for our teaching/coaching on monday nights.

Several of us as well, have found that the Wilson TI's that you get at wal-mart are pretty darn harsh on the elbows as well. Although Penn's seem to last only about a half of a set, they are the most forgiving and softest on the arm...

totally agree. some balls are hard on the arm, especially the non pressurized ones i have used. dead balls are also harder on the arm. there is a huge difference going from balls out of the hopper to a fresh can. i have noticed arm pain after long hitting sessions with dead balls, where you really have to smash it to get it back haha.

carac
10-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Actually the tennis balls and the court can make a big difference - but that is most damaging when you change something - for instance when you start playing with faster balls or on a faster court you will tend to hit the ball slightly behind the optimal point and with a stiff racquet + stiff strings it will place a huge pressure on your arm!!!

budkid
10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I made the switch in early August to Poly strings. Hit with all of the mentioned below:

BB Alu Original
Fluoro
Ballistic Polymono
Polylon

Did not have shoulder problems until the last month. I have increased my amount of court time considerably as well; sometimes playing six days in a row. I have had spells like my recent time on court though without any shoulder pain at all.

I am curious...I never had pain with the iPrestige mids. I swithced to poly and the FXP Prestige mid in early August as well as the poly. I am curious if anyone has shoulder pain with either the FXP or poly or the combination of both.

The pain is intense, on the front and back of the shoulder and surrounding the joint. Tonight, one forehand sent the pain all the way down to my wrist and I stopped after two or three more shots. I imagine I'm off the courts for some time.

Do you think it's the new FXP's, the poly, the combination of them both? And, lastly...has poly ever been a catalyst to rotator cuff injuries?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

LOWER THE TENSION! 55lbs or below...it would feel better.