PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to string a wooden racquet?

LanEvo
10-08-2007, 07:03 PM
do u think its possible like could u take it to a stringer and have then do it? or would u have to use an old string from the 60s? im wondering because wooden racquets dont have grommets

Midlife crisis
10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
do u think its possible like could u take it to a stringer and have then do it? or would u have to use an old string from the 60s? im wondering because wooden racquets dont have grommets

Wood racquets are relatively easy to string. Any good stringer should be able to do it for you.

kingdaddy41788
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
The wooden racquets don't fit on some new machines (specifically electronic ones), but you should be able to find someone to do it. They (woodies) fit on most crank machines I think.

shojun25
10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
How else do people play with wooden racquets without strings? (sarcasm)

Yes! It is possible to string wooden racquets, but most have really small headsize so some may not be able to fit in modern stringing machines.

LanEvo
10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
is playing with a wooden racquet any good?

Mick
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
is playing with a wooden racquet any good?

"You have to have very good technique to play with this one," Russian Kuznetsova said of the wood.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2007-06-20-raquet-tech_N.htm

http://i21.tinypic.com/wrddl3.jpg

Clintspin
10-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Wood racquets have some interesting patterns that involve using the same hole for more than one string. Most stringers on these posts would get a little confused.

Midlife crisis
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Wood racquets have some interesting patterns that involve using the same hole for more than one string. Most stringers on these posts would get a little confused.

LOTS of people who post here know how to string wood racquets:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87319

Steve Huff
10-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I still string around 4-5 a year. Some people DO use them to practice with. I'd definitely get it strung by someone who has strung them. I was stringing when just about EVERYONE used wood rackets. My recommendation is use gut or a multifiliment string, and string between 50-55# tension. And yes, electronic machines will hold a wood racket. If you can't find someone, send it to me. I'll string it. I still have people send me rackets to string for them. stmt@comcast.net

10usstring
10-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Don't remove the old strings. The stringer will need to check the pattern for shared holes, ect.

BurghKing
10-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Check the pattern before you cut the strings out because you probably won't be able to find it anywhere. I have strung many wood racquets, some with gut, on a Baolat Star 3 and not had any issues. Best of luck to you!

AceofBase
10-09-2007, 04:59 AM
How was also wondering what is the string gauge for a wood racket? Its like 10-12 or something, cause look bigger than the string we have now and plus wondering if we can buy more of those thicker gauge sting to replace the string of those wood racket?

Clintspin
10-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Midlife, I know there are some really good stringers on the posts that would have no trouble. I was really talking about the mass of young or new stringers on the message board. Still, I think it would be fun for them to try and it would probably take them a couple of tries to get it right. I did one a few years ago and thought I really understood the pattern and still messed it up.

Steve Huff
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Also, remember, a wood racket has a short side and a long side. The short side is the size where there is a zig-zag pattern to the holes at the top. It has 18 mains, and usually 20 crosses.

uk_skippy
10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Just for info, Jony Mac came into the Wimbledon stringing room this year and asked if anyone could string a wooden rqt. One of the other stringers took it on and managed to string it. It was a brand new Maxply Fort, and it was being strung with BDE gut @ 50lbs

regards

Paul