10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Who's Torre?

Shahar26
10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Who's Torre?

Kolo Torre....

theace21
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
He lasted longer than any other NY manager (during the Steinbrenner era)...Instead of asking why Torre failed, ask why then spend all that money for Clemens...What a waste of 20 million dollars.

j30tennis
10-08-2007, 08:18 PM
theace21, money well spent right? Time for a new start for the Yanks what a disaster of a season. 1st the wild card than bounced in the 1st round. Oh well maybe next year we can see what that fat turd Joba can do as a starter, here is hoping there are no bugs when he pitches, or runners in scoring position.

Lakoste
10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Although I'm not much of a Yankee fan... I've always liked Torre. I think it is because he has a dick for a boss, so I could relate:lol:

saram
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Although I'm not much of a Yankee fan... I've always liked Torre. I think it is because he has a dick for a boss, so I could relate:lol:

Hilarious....!!!

saram
10-08-2007, 08:31 PM
He lasted longer than any other NY manager (during the Steinbrenner era)...Instead of asking why Torre failed, ask why then spend all that money for Clemens...What a waste of 20 million dollars.

Us Red Sox fans would never spend that much on a pithcer! Oh, wait....

Dice K did cost a ton, didn't he?

Deuce
10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Sadly, I don't care about major league baseball anymore.

scotus
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe he will get a new job with the Red Sox.

Douggo
10-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I was not a fan of Torre from back in his days with the Cardinals, due to his mishandling of his pitchers. It seems like what he brought to the Yankees is calm amid the chaos - I'm not sure what else, if anything.
They'll be fine without him.

Dedans Penthouse
10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
theace21, money well spent right? Time for a new start for the Yanks what a disaster of a season. 1st the wild card than bounced in the 1st round. Oh well maybe next year we can see what that fat turd Joba can do as a starter, here is hoping there are no bugs when he pitches, or runners in scoring position.
Your "Long Island" location suggests you're a MET fan---your ignorant post confirms it, Shea-boy.

Chamberlain went through FOUR levels (A, AA, AAA, majors) inside of 1 year.
While with the Yankees:
Record: Wins=2; Losses=0
ERA: 0.38
Innings pitched: 24
Strikeouts: 34
Hits Allowed: 12
Runs Allowed: 2
Earned Runs Allowed: 1

Lastly, read the recent story about Chamberlain & his dad in the recent Sports Illustrated; then come back to us with your classy 'fat turd' comments, mr. dix hills....or is it mr. north amityville trailer park? :rolleyes:

Kei Igawa
Tyler Clippard
Matt De Salvo
Darrell Rasner
Chase Wright
Any of those names ring a bell, Long Island? They pitched for the Yankees when THREE QUARTERS OF THEIR STARTING STAFF were on the bench, injured; while they were in last place at 21-29.

A successful year? By their standards, obviously not. But it sure as hell beats having a 7 game lead with only 17 games to play......and giving up....make that choking.....er, make that GAGGING away their division title, while losing EIGHT games in sucession to the Phillies.

Now THAT, is a disasterous season. :razz: :razz: :razz:

bluegrasser
10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I was not a fan of Torre from back in his days with the Cardinals, due to his mishandling of his pitchers. It seems like what he brought to the Yankees is calm amid the chaos - I'm not sure what else, if anything.
They'll be fine without him.

Last I heard he won four ' World Series" - I know big payroll etc... but look at where it got the Mets and other teams. He must of done something right ? like keeping all those big egos in check - that takes work man :p

Douggo
10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
They did win lots of titles while he was there, yes - so it would be silly to suggest he's a total loser. I just find it hard to ascribe all those championships to Torre's managing skills. Like I said, I didn't like the guy before, so I'm probably not going to give him as much credit as would the next guy.

As far as the Mets and other teams with big payrolls, I will just say that some teams that do not have the Yankees' winning tradition have to overpay to get talented players to join them. Not that the Yankees don't pay exorbitant amounts to each player themselves, but it seems the Yankees tend to get the best of the best, because they are the Yankees. It's a small effect, but I think it makes *some* difference. Maybe not as much difference as who your manager is, but some. ;)

Anyway, just to put another log on the fire, I see speculation already that La Russa might replace Torre. If that happens - and if pitching coach Duncan follows La Russa - I expect the Yankees to be improved.

ollinger
10-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Interesting to me that the guy who always says losing is unacceptable -- George Steinbrenner -- seems to be about the biggest loser, as an owner, in Yankee history. He's owned the team since 1973, a third or more of the team's modern era history, and they've only won a small fraction of the team's championships under his stewardship (is it about 5 out of a total of something like 29 world series titles?). I suppose you can't fire the owner.

tricky
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Anyway, just to put another log on the fire, I see speculation already that La Russa might replace Torre. If that happens - and if pitching coach Duncan follows La Russa - I expect the Yankees to be improved.

Micromanager Russa? I don't see why he would want to leave well-adjusted, baseball town St Louis for the lair.

As for regime change in New York . . . it may not be such a bad idea. In baseball, often manager changes leads to short-term improvements within the team, especially if they get a guy who's the opposite of the previous guy. Yankees may be an exception to that.

I like Joe Torre a lot; he did Angels games (haha, the irony) when I was a kid, and he was really good and personable at that.

ollinger
10-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Best baseball book I ever read was George Will's "Men at Work." The book is in three sections, dealing with hitter, pitcher, and manager. LaRussa is the manager he examines. Interersting stuff.

Dedans Penthouse
10-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Interesting to me that the guy who always says losing is unacceptable -- George Steinbrenner -- seems to be about the biggest loser, as an owner, in Yankee history. He's owned the team since 1973, a third or more of the team's modern era history, and they've only won a small fraction of the team's championships under his stewardship (is it about 5 out of a total of something like 29 world series titles?). I suppose you can't fire the owner.ollinger, while I hear where you're coming from as far as the team's World Series record under George Steinbrenner's stewardship, but he also:

--got New York City to bankroll a refurbish job on the "old" Yankee Stadium in 1974 and got the city to have them share Shea Stadium during that "refurbish" job.

--won the American League flag by 1976 and 2 consecutive World Series titles the following years; 1977 and 1978.

--in the 80's they didn't win a World Series, but he put a team on the field that won more regular season games than anyone in the 1980's decade.

Sidebar: word has it, that as much an egotistical blowhard as the guy can be, the guy has also "quietly" (behind-the-scenes) come to the rescue of many in need (people, charities, etc.) and again, has never made mention of it. It's usually the people helped or the media who 'fish' it out.

That said, as it turns out, old Georgie may have turned out to be one of the biggest winners in Yankee--make that--in baseball history when you consider the following: in 1973, "General Von Steingrabber" purchased the Yankees from CBS (Mike Burke) for a measly ten million bucks. Now granted, ten million bucks is nothing to sneeze about, BUT when you're talking about what has turned into THE richest (and most valuable) franchise in professional sports, then 10 million bucks is chicken feed. Today, the New York Yankees are worth over ONE BILLION dollars with their own TV network, unbelieveable merchandizing and a huge $-fan-$ base. In short, thirty three years later, Steinbrenner has 'turned over' his investment 100-fold. Nice return. Wonder what the hedge-fund experts would think of that, especially TODAY. :-)

Oh and btw, ask the owners of those "small-market-other teams" how they HATE when the Yankees come into town.....and the average 20,000 attendance suddenly shoot up to 45,000 ticket receipts for a 4 game series......i.e. 100,000 extra PAID-FOR tickets not to mention the parking and concession stands impacts of those additional 100,000 in attendance. The Yankees pay them a "luxury tax" in spades and many of those "poor" small-market owners pocket the money and never go the extra mile in trying to put a competitive team on the field. Example: Tampa Bay. :cool:

Granted there was a flip side; the guy could be an impulsive/impatient nutcase at times. Looking at the success of some of the late 70's fleet-footed "Astroturf" type teams, Georgie actually considered putting Astroturf in Yankee Stadium. And he could be a jerk in the papers, ripping this player or that manager; but he played the media like a fiddle; he got the Yankees on the back page in the dead of winter. And you always knew that he would not simply take the money and run but would do anything to put a winning team on the field--he was a "hot stove league" (off-season baseball chat) champion. He got you "talking baseball" during the cold, dark days of February. There was a time (remember when?) when Steinbrenner was considering putting a "new" Yankee Stadium either in the Meadowlands (NJ) next to Giants Stadium or on the site of Yonkers Raceway? The claim was that there was little/no parking, that the South Bronx was a dangerous place to go at night, the city was not being "helpful," etc.. Well, the parking is still a horror show (esp. with the "new" Yankee Stadium being built on the ballfields next to the existing Stadium), there's no "station-spur" off the Metro-North (Westchester/CT) or PATH (NJ) at Yankee Stadium (Just the Jerome Ave. "Lex" #4 or #5 subway) and when there's no game, that South Bronx neighborhood doesn't exactly remind you of the French Riviera. But that said, this season, the Yankees drew 4.3 MILLION. And the "new" 2009 Yankee Stadium is being built in?.....da Sowf Bronx--right next door to the "old" one.

As for Tony LaRussa: man if he had problems with the *cough* "huge media" in St. Louis (would get prlckly if 2nd-guessed), I can only picture what the New York media would do to him. They 2nd-guess everyone, everyday. There are so many different media outlets who are competiting for readership, ratings, etc., and who are all trying to spin something in a "unique" fashion so as to gain that readership.....those ratings. Boozin' Tony would be in up to his neck in alligators. Torre knew how to keep 'em at bay. Be honest, unflappable and amiable; even when 2nd-guessed.

The ('07) Yankees are dead--long live the Yankees.

Knickerbocker coach Isiah Thomas" busted/convicted-in-court for sexual misconduct.....Jets....eh......Giants.....so-so.......it's gonna be a cold winter. Hmmm, wait a minute:

Let's go Rangers!!!.

drakulie
10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Sadly, I don't care about major league baseball anymore.

ditto. these guys are all a bunch of babies.

tennis_nerd22
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe he will get a new job with the Red Sox.

or the blue jays :rolleyes:

Forehand Forever
10-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Fat Turd? Joba Chamberlain throws 100mph. I bet he throws faster than your serve in tennis. You truly made yourself look like an idiot thinking you know Joba Chamberlain. First year in the majors and he let up like 2 runs?

Aeropro master
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Torre was good for the Yanks and Im sad hes gone

Dedans Penthouse
10-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Torre was good for the Yanks and Im sad hes goneAeropro, you never know. Right now, this story (in New York) is on the back page burner taking precedence over the other "big ticket" items, e.g. Pats-Cowboys, baseball league championship series, etc.. That said, I think Yankee management is either waiting for this story to 'die down' a little before addressing it, or .... possibly .... taking a step back, and considering some of their "free agent" players such as Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada who are subtly suggesting to the media that "if Joe goes, I might go too" not to mention the support of some active roster players such as Derek Jeter.

If you "wet your finger and stick it in the air" to order to gauge public opinion around here, it seems that Joe Torre was on shakier ground last year when the Yankees lost to the Tigers in the 1st round. Even though there was disappointment in being knocked out of this year's playoffs, many acknowledged that Torre did a good job in not panicing and getting the team out of last place--getting some pitchers healthy--and making the playoffs when there were a slew of both local and national media "experts" who had written them off as dead. This year's disappointment really has to do with the undercurrent feeling from Yankee fans (and a number of local/national media members) that given the Yankees success against any of the Red Sox very good starters, that the Yanks really wanted a shot at the Red Sox--and the Red Sox really didn't care to see the Yankees. Torre? Maybe his "departure" is not a definite. We'll see.

bluegrasser
10-11-2007, 05:58 AM
He$l being a Yankee fan is easy, how about those ' Mets" - when I was a kid growing up on the south shore of Long Island suffering those Casey Stengel yrs w/ Marvelous Marv, Choo Choo Coleman, and my favorite player Mr. Ron Hunt # 33...well that was easier than this past season.

I think Torre has done a great job & his record proves it, so kudos to him..

Dedans Penthouse
10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
and my favorite player Mr. Ron Hunt # 33....Ron Hunt, the guy who seemed to always lead the league in "getting hit" in the 60's. Here's some 50's trivia

Q: Most hits in the 1950's?
A: Richie Ashburn

Q: Most home runs in the 1950's?
A: Duke Snyder

Q: Who "got hit in the face" the most times in the 1950's?
A: Rock Hudson

:-)