PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Grommet Prevents 2 Piece Stringing

mlwgszgao
10-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, sorta need help with 2 piece stringing. Some of the racquets that I've strung can only be strung with 1 piece because there are only 2 grommets large enough for a knot. Does anyone here know how I can string 2 piece with these racquets, if even possible?

kingdaddy41788
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, sorta need help with 2 piece stringing. Some of the racquets that I've strung can only be strung with 1 piece because there are only 2 grommets large enough for a knot. Does anyone here know how I can string 2 piece with these racquets, if even possible?

Well, you can make the whole a little bigger with an awl, but be careful not to do any damage. It's rare that it happens (never happened to me, but has happened to the guy who taught me to string a couple times in his life), but it can be bad. It should be fine though.

Bubba
10-09-2007, 02:47 AM

Use the awl and push it through the hole... it will have the effect of 'compressing' the grommet walls and giving you room enough for the second string. Use pliers to assist in pushing the string through. Some frames can be a bit difficult but I've not come across a frame yet that I couldn't get to work. Additionally, the use of smaller gauge strings can help (17g/18g)

Loco4Tennis
10-09-2007, 03:22 AM
if your concerned about the grommet, then your going to run into this problem
but if you dont care if you stretch the grommet then just push the line through using needle nose pliers,
ive also gone as far as cutting string in half(about an inch deep), to be able to fit that smaller string thickness through the hole and then pull the rest through
it does stretch the grommet which was initially just intended for 1 string, but the racquet wont notice the difference

BurghKing
10-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Do as everyone has said. Any racquet I have ever encountered has been able to be done as a two-piece. Be careful when widening the grommet with your awl, cut the tip of the string sharp, and use the pliers to push it through. It doesn't get much simpler than that!

10usstring
10-09-2007, 05:16 AM
You could remove the smaller individual grommet with a grommet grinder and replace it with a larger individual grommet.

Loco4Tennis
10-09-2007, 06:21 AM
be carefull when trying to use tools to widen the hole, it can tear the grommet inside the frame and then create a sharp edge where string will rub against, the my owl tool has a very fine dull point, but it does a lot of damage if not carefull, i have made holes on the inside of a grommet and also cut strings with it because i was not carefull

LoveThisGame
10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
There are some frames (Babolat comes to mind) for which two-piece stringing requires tying off the starting cross on a later (!) cross. You need a starting clamp to do these.

kinsella
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
What frame exactly are you having trouble with? I find it hard to believe there are not enough tie off holes, even if the extras are at the throat. On my Babolat Pure Storm Tour, like many other Babs, you have to string the crosses from the bottom up if you use the tie off holes conventionally. I put the starting cross in the head tie off hole before inserting the last main tie off, then tie off the main, followed by the starting cross. A little ugly, but it lets me string the crosses top down.