PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question.

Steve Huff
10-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I have a Verizon cell phone. We have 500 minutes a month, my daughter has unlimited text messaging. I dropped and broke my phone. My wife went to the Verizon store and they said that this phone is no longer available. To get a new phone would be an upgrade and that I would have to get the next upgraded package that is 700 mins a month. We've never even used 300 minutes. The upgraded plan is $20/month more. Do any of you know if I can buy an aftermarket phone and keep the same plan? I can't believe they can force me to upgrade when I don't even use all the minutes of my current plan.

Serve em Up
10-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Just go to Best Buy, buy a replacement phone, and call verizon customer service to switch the service to the new phone. You don't need to buy a new plan. That's BS.

You won't get the replacement phone for free from Verizon unless you extend your service contract or buy into an upgraded plan. At 20.00 per month more it's cheaper to buy a new phone ($100.00 or so) than upgrade your service contract.

Nuke
10-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, like ServeEmUp said, just go to Best Buy, and buy another phone. To make sure it'll work with Verison, look for a Verizon branded pre-paid phone. Then, open it up and put in the sim card from your old, broken phone, and it should work. If you can't figure out how to change the sim card, take both of the phones to the Verizon store and ask them to change the card for you. Both of my daughters are rough on phones and have done this successfullly.

znoopie
10-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeah, like ServeEmUp said, just go to Best Buy, and buy another phone. To make sure it'll work with Verison, look for a Verizon branded pre-paid phone. Then, open it up and put in the sim card from your old, broken phone, and it should work. If you can't figure out how to change the sim card, take both of the phones to the Verizon store and ask them to change the card for you. Both of my daughters are rough on phones and have done this successfullly.

I believe Verizon-compatible cell phones are all CDMA; none of them use SIM card.

This might be useful for you.
http://reviews. e b a y .com/How-to-Activate-Your-Cell-Phone-on-Verizon-Wireless_W0QQugidZ10000000001211420

Gugafan_Redux
10-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Better yet, get on craig's list, pick up a used one. I like the LG flips, such as the 4500 & 6100. Can get used for $40. Log on to your account at verizon wireless dot com, pick change equipment. Enter the Hex number on the back under battery, and submit. Follow instructions, wait a few minutes, and call *228. Phone initializes, then reboots itself. You're done.

I've done it 3 times. I always break my phone.

rommil
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I believe Verizon-compatible cell phones are all CDMA; none of them use SIM card.

This might be useful for you.
http://reviews. e b a y .com/How-to-Activate-Your-Cell-Phone-on-Verizon-Wireless_W0QQugidZ10000000001211420

Yeah I think Sprint and Verizon use the CDMA technology and even though Verizon has the best coverage, I could never switch to them(you can't use it overseas for one). It seems like the rest of the world is on GSM technology.

TheShaun
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
if you're not on a contract i would recomend looking at other company's plans, specifically if they use gsm technology. plus if you threaten to go to another company they'll probably give your whole family new phones. i always get freebies when i call up to complain.

richw76
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
if you're not on a contract i would recomend looking at other company's plans, specifically if they use gsm technology. plus if you threaten to go to another company they'll probably give your whole family new phones. i always get freebies when i call up to complain.

Not anymore, a few years ago you could say you are going to cancel service, and they had a retention department that would call you back and try to keep you. Not anymore. Now they just cancel yoru service and everything stops workign within 15 minutes.

Also, everyones plans, and customer service is terrible. Some are less bad but none are good. My wife just washed her phone yesterday, left it in her work out pants pocket. They said it would be 250$ to replace since we don't have the insurance. I'm with sprint.

Serve em Up
10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Go buy the phone. Write down the phone serial number and call verizon customer service to activate the phone. They will guide you through some key strokes on your phone to activate it. You can stay on your old plan no problem. There should be no need to switch the simm card.

TheShaun
10-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Not anymore, a few years ago you could say you are going to cancel service, and they had a retention department that would call you back and try to keep you. Not anymore. Now they just cancel yoru service and everything stops workign within 15 minutes.

Also, everyones plans, and customer service is terrible. Some are less bad but none are good. My wife just washed her phone yesterday, left it in her work out pants pocket. They said it would be 250$ to replace since we don't have the insurance. I'm with sprint.

could be different in the US. but in canada the competition is really between the top two companies. for cell and home phone service. i switched my cell phone from 1 to the other two years ago and i couldn't be happier. as for home service i just finished 3 months of free internet, and i'm on a reduced rate unlimited long distance plan. because 1 company offered a better deal, so i called up asking for the same rate. they said no so i told them i would switch. next thing i know some guy is giving me the same rate and 3 months free internet.

Serpententacle
10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Just don't phone-and-drive. Lots of people make a big deal about drunk-driving, but have no clue how many people using a cellphone while driving have killed. Seriously. Don't become another statistic.

richw76
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Just don't phone-and-drive. Lots of people make a big deal about drunk-driving, but have no clue how many people using a cellphone while driving have killed. Seriously. Don't become another statistic.

Preaching to the choir, kind of :-) atleast once a week I'll be on the cell phone talking and realize I have no idea how I got from point A --> B or miss a turn because I'm zoned out on the phone. I've never had an accident but I'm thinking that's more luck than anything.

richw76
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
could be different in the US. but in canada the competition is really between the top two companies. for cell and home phone service. i switched my cell phone from 1 to the other two years ago and i couldn't be happier. as for home service i just finished 3 months of free internet, and i'm on a reduced rate unlimited long distance plan. because 1 company offered a better deal, so i called up asking for the same rate. they said no so i told them i would switch. next thing i know some guy is giving me the same rate and 3 months free internet.

I'm gonna try it again. Last few times though they just said peace out :-)

and I've been usign VOIP for phone for awhile now.

My sister uses tmobile or the like. she is very happy with how they run the service. no contracts, etc.

It would be nice if one of the majors didn't treat you so poorly to have service with them.

For example I HATE that to change my minute plan, I have to sign a new 1-2 yr. contract it's total garbage.

rommil
10-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Go buy the phone. Write down the phone serial number and call verizon customer service to activate the phone. They will guide you through some key strokes on your phone to activate it. You can stay on your old plan no problem. There should be no need to switch the simm card.

I could be wrong but Verizon phones doesn't use sim cards since they are not on the GSM netwok/technology.

Steve Huff
10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys. This was a real learning experience to me. I went to Verizon first and they gave me $50 off a $100 phone. Didn't have to change plans or anything. I'll have to try Gugafan's method next time, although I don't know if I'd get a used phone.

KoreanHB
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Rich you can fix your phone by following these steps. 1) Remove the battery, 2) Dry your phone, 3) Soak in Alcohol, 4) Let your phone dry, and 5) Start using it again
It should work fine after this.

KoreanHB
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
soak in alcohol for about 5 minutes