PDA

View Full Version : Why do highschool players and college players normally string tighter than pros?

Alafter
10-09-2007, 12:37 AM
It's just something i kinda noticed, but it seems that both highschool players and college players in general like to string at 60+, going even to the 70's, while the pros string in the mostly in the 50's.

Either I noticed wrongly, or there's some reason for the kids to like tighter tensions.

BreakPoint
10-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Because the pros switch to a new string job every 9 games so they don't ever have to worry about tension loss. Most high school and even college players can't afford to do that.

Also more pros use poly, which needs to be strung lower than syn gut, than high school or college players.

Alafter
10-09-2007, 12:52 AM
So they dont do it because it feels good/right to them with a fresh string job of 60-70lbs?

thefederman
10-09-2007, 01:43 AM
i could be out to left field on this but it also might have to do with the fact that the pros need more power than control as compared to high school students who need the extra control of the higher tensions

VikingSamurai
10-09-2007, 02:48 AM
I am not a pro or a high school player, and I string at 45lbs.

topspin_17
10-09-2007, 03:39 AM
because they think its cool to string at higher tensions? hahaha jk i string at 50... i'm a highschool player

Bubba
10-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Because the pros switch to a new string job every 9 games so they don't ever have to worry about tension loss. Most high school and even college players can't afford to do that.

Also more pros use poly, which needs to be strung lower than syn gut, than high school or college players.

Also... pros have better control = lower tension tolerance.

BurghKing
10-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Another possible reason is that many high school players still go to local stringer/shops that may have not done much research and still always say "higher tension = more control" without considering trying different strings. I also agree with the one quote about the players not being able to afford stringing all of the time. Stringing at a higher tension will allow them to play longer with the racquet and prevent tension loss, assuming they do not break the strings first.

Fedace
10-09-2007, 05:53 AM

this is actually a good explanation, this is why i string tighter. Pros string their rackets fresh every AM

Alafter
10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Another impression i have is that these college and highschool kids break strings pretty darn fast. So that also makes me think it's really a matter of them somehow preferring high tension rather than fearing tension changes.

tbini87
10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
i have not noticed that at all. most high school kids that i played with strung somewhere within the guidlines of the racquet. but i did notice not too many high school kids were using poly, so comparing tensions without comparing the strings being used isn't really helpful. i know i string syn gut way higher than i string poly.

Islandtennis
10-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I think topspin got it right.

abenguyen
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
i used to string at 60+ tensions but now its all around 58 lbs. full poly at 56 and hybrid with the syn gut/multi cross at 60. i don't think i'll ever go back up

Wondertoy
10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Because HS and College players don't know what they are doing! Also because Sampras strung at 73 lbs.

krprunitennis2
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
In my school, some guys string it at 60+ because they really do think they're cool. -_- two even bragging about, "Oh, I can handle 60, and I still get a lot of power."

But there are many that string a bit high since they say that really low tensions give them tennis elbow. <-- btw, is this true?

StealthGnome
10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
i have not noticed that at all. most high school kids that i played with strung somewhere within the guidlines of the racquet. but i did notice not too many high school kids were using poly, so comparing tensions without comparing the strings being used isn't really helpful. i know i string syn gut way higher than i string poly.

Same here, being a HS student.

kingdaddy41788
10-09-2007, 11:35 PM
because they think its cool to string at higher tensions? hahaha jk i string at 50... i'm a highschool player

unfortunately, for a lot of them (high school players), this is probably true.

kingdaddy41788
10-09-2007, 11:36 PM
In my school, some guys string it at 60+ because they really do think they're cool. -_- two even bragging about, "Oh, I can handle 60, and I still get a lot of power."

But there are many that string a bit high since they say that really low tensions give them tennis elbow. <-- btw, is this true?

No. It's the opposite of true in my experience.

ananda
10-10-2007, 01:06 AM
last month i strung my new rack for the first time at 61 (wilson polylast). this time i tried a new poly string (babolat tour durolast) and i thought i would try 58 (after reading jollyrogers gr8 post).
yes, i did think it would be cool telling people it was 61, altho no one here talks tensions. lets see how 58 goes.

at this moment (i have just finished 3 months of play) i would say control is more dependent on my (in)competence than a racket or string or tension etc.

Alafter
10-10-2007, 02:36 AM
last month i strung my new rack for the first time at 61 (wilson polylast). this time i tried a new poly string (babolat tour durolast) and i thought i would try 58 (after reading jollyrogers gr8 post).
yes, i did think it would be cool telling people it was 61, altho no one here talks tensions. lets see how 58 goes.

at this moment (i have just finished 3 months of play) i would say control is more dependent on my (in)competence than a racket or string or tension etc.

Amen, same here about the self competence part

Speedygonzalez
10-10-2007, 06:21 AM
It's just something i kinda noticed, but it seems that both highschool players and college players in general like to string at 60+, going even to the 70's, while the pros string in the mostly in the 50's.

Either I noticed wrongly, or there's some reason for the kids to like tighter tensions.

I doubt this statement, on what info did you base it?

saram
10-10-2007, 06:30 AM
They string at higher tensions for control. The pro's have hit millions more balls in practice and have the muscle memory down for perfect timing and strokes. They can control a racket strung at 52lbs where a college player does not have the same control. In time, as the strokes progress, you would generally find college players hitting with lower tensions as their careers develop and their accuracy/timing/strokes improve.

Fletch
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I think its the pros control and racket head speed. They can string lower because of the incredible spin they get from the racket head speed. Look at lower level players, they do not get as much racket speed or spin, thus having to string much higher to keep the ball in play.

N4n45h1
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
im a highschool player and i string at 62lb with a poly, its 2lbs over the recommended but ive gotten used to it, and during the season i didnt want to take the chance of what was working. previously i always played better with higher tensions as well. this summer ill probably drop it down to 50lbs just to see how it feels

matt.jc
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm a high school player and i string at 54. It's mainly because it's poly but I actually like when the tension drops a bit and the strings settle in. NEver really like freshly strung poly.

10nisDude~
10-10-2007, 06:38 PM
well some players like tommy haas and andy roddick string it 60+ lbs i string mine at 60 with poly strings and it feels great i like the pop...DIRTY POP!!! anyway....yeah idk mayb its just a coincidence

tennis_nerd22
10-10-2007, 06:46 PM
im a HS player and i string at 53 (54 mains 52 crosses :cool: lol)

yea i dont care if it sounds cool or not as long as i beat every person i have to play

Alafter
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I doubt this statement, on what info did you base it?

Mostly comments on this board about the tension they use, the comments on strings and racquets for each product, stringforum.net as i browse through trying to find comments on strings etc. It's just something that is noted as I was searching for other information.

Alafter
10-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I wonder if everyone can benefit from stringing at higher tension.

I have 2 n blade OS, one is for experimental stuff. Maybe I should try putting forten syn gut in at 63 lbs just to see if i can get anything out of it.

Noveson
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm highschool age, I play with poly at 58 lbs.

Kaptain Karl
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
To the OP's question: Ego.

- KK

PurePrestige
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I think it's just a culmination of a lot of factors.

1)More Control, while lower tensions might give more power they aren't competing against top pro's, just other kids.

2)Fresh Stringjobs for pros, youngsters keep their rackets strung alot longer, some just until it breaks.

3)Lower Quality Stringjobs, Generally stringers for college and highschool teams aren't the highest quality in the land. Believe me i've seen college teams have stringers that don't know what the hell they are doing. The same stringer strung Shcmad's racket and now it has small pressure cracks in the throat I think from improper mounting.

4)Lower Quality Machines? Lower end machines generally don't string as tight as the Babolat Sensors etc. that the pro's get their rackets done on.

5) Strings
Pro's can string lower for 2 reasons. 1 Full Poly setups you can go really low and still maintain a stiff stringbed for control. 2 Use of Natural Gut, Natural Gut plays well at low tensions where some Multi's Synguts will turn into a trampoline and you'll have no spin and just hit the back fence. So Natural Gut in hybrids or full jobs lets you drop the tension more as well.

counterpunchingrules
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
im a college player, i string at 52

Bad Dog
10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I think it's just a culmination of a lot of factors.

1)More Control, while lower tensions might give more power they aren't competing against top pro's, just other kids.

2)Fresh Stringjobs for pros, youngsters keep their rackets strung alot longer, some just until it breaks.

3)Lower Quality Stringjobs, Generally stringers for college and highschool teams aren't the highest quality in the land. Believe me i've seen college teams have stringers that don't know what the hell they are doing. The same stringer strung Shcmad's racket and now it has small pressure cracks in the throat I think from improper mounting.

4)Lower Quality Machines? Lower end machines generally don't string as tight as the Babolat Sensors etc. that the pro's get their rackets done on.

5) Strings
Pro's can string lower for 2 reasons. 1 Full Poly setups you can go really low and still maintain a stiff stringbed for control. 2 Use of Natural Gut, Natural Gut plays well at low tensions where some Multi's Synguts will turn into a trampoline and you'll have no spin and just hit the back fence. So Natural Gut in hybrids or full jobs lets you drop the tension more as well.

Agreed -- especially # 4. I would also add that a great stringer can use less expensive machines and still have a great string job -- even though the tension could be labeled as significantly “higher” than the exact same tension on a much more expensive machine. :)