PDA

View Full Version : Pro Supex Premier Ace 1.20mm/18ga -- any experiences?

rlee7777
10-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Searched the forums and found little info on the 18ga version of Pro Supex Premier Ace. Any experience? Especially comparing this to SPPP 1.18mm. Looks to be similar, but few reviews...

Stan
10-09-2007, 07:29 AM
It depends what you want out of a string. The Premier Ace has more of a plastic feel about it. Both are fairly comfortable. The Premier Ace matches the comfort of the SPPP. Both hold tension well, but the SPPP is a little bit better in this area. The Premier Ace gets an edge in power, while the SPPP is solidly consistent. Overall, my preference is the SPPP, but it costs a little more.

PROTENNIS63
10-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Both are quite similar strings. Premier Ace has better control. SPPP is a maybe a tad softer but hard to tell. Power is the same. Overall, they are both great strings but in terms of price, Premier Ace is the winner.

rlee7777
10-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I purchased a reel of Pro Supex Premier Ace 18ga. Easier to string than SPPP -- the coil memory is not too strong and knots hold tight. Feels substantially thicker than SPPP 1.18mm, though technically there is only .02mm difference.

Playing in a hybrid with Gosen OG Micro 17. Comparing directly with SPPP -- much more softer response and more pocketing. A bit more power than SPPP, but similar control. Very comfortable and there is a pronounced tension drop in the beginning, then PA seems to stabilize. SPPP tension loss is more gradual. Spin potential is great. After a while I wanted to hit solely with the PA strung frame -- the pinpoint control is there with the wonderful dampened response. The SPPP strung frame feels boardy in comparison.

I was surprised -- the PA is a very nice string. Next is to string PA with my favorite cross -- Head Rip Control.