PDA

View Full Version : Mini tennis.

Messarger
10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm sure most if not all of us have played this before with a teaching pro/adult. It's basically when both of you stand on the service line, instead of the base line and rally the ball back to each other. The goal: to be able to control the ball back to the other person across the net, instead of ramming every ball that comes your way.

I find this game very fun and useful, but lately i've been having problems controlling my stroke on the SW forehand. Because the distance between the two players are shortened by a lot, I'm trying to use lesser strength to hit the ball. As a result my racket head speed drops significantly, my back swing takes ages because i'm trying to control my power, and my form is all wrong.

Is there a way to hit it back to my rally partner without too much power? With the eastern grip previously, i found it easier as i could tap the ball back but still follow through. SW is a tad harder. Any tips?

Jonny S&V
10-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm sure most if not all of us have played this before with a teaching pro/adult. It's basically when both of you stand on the service line, instead of the base line and rally the ball back to each other. The goal: to be able to control the ball back to the other person across the net, instead of ramming every ball that comes your way.

I find this game very fun and useful, but lately i've been having problems controlling my stroke on the SW forehand. I'm trying to use lesser strength to hit the ball, but because of that my racket head speed drops significantly, my back swing takes ages because i'm trying to control my power, and my form is all wrong.

Is there a way to hit it back to my rally partner without too much power? With the eastern grip previously, i found it easier as i could tap the ball back but still follow through. But SW is a tad harder. Any tips?

It becomes more of a question on how much touch you have. With a SW grip, you have to roll that ball perfectly. I play min-tennis all the time, and it really makes you work on your touch and angles.

Messarger
10-09-2007, 08:41 AM
What do you mean by 'touch'? I roughly get your drift, but how do i improve my touch without sacrificing the trajectory and spin of the ball?

bluetrain4
10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
When I moved to Springfield, Illinois, I was amazed at the number of players who play mini tennis at the beginning of the warm-up before moving back to the baseline. Well, not "play" in the sense that they play out points, but they do hit from the service lines for about 5 minutes. It's like they all grew up learning it and haven't changed.

We used to play out mini tennis points in high school, I guess to learn touch and stroke control. But, I just think its so stupid as a warm-up to a regular match. I don't know why my reaction is so negative. Probably because I've been forced to do it so much.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I think this exercise is invaluable and I try to warm up with mini tennis every time I play. Like previously mentioned, it is played to help teach you finesse and control. You should also look for the exercise to teach you topspin. Because you're hitting much closer, you obviously won't need to use a powerful stroke, i.e., you can shorten you swing up a little bit. Don't take your swing back so much. Again, the point of mini tennis is to teach you control, control, control. Using less swing doesn't necessarily mean you have to have less racquet-head swing. Try to hit the ball as you normally would, only with less swing, and a little more topspin, but don't forget to follow thru completely. Some people think that since you're up so close you don't have to follow thru, this is wrong. The more you play, and the better you get, you'll realize that what you gain learning in mini tennis you will love to have in your full tennis game.
I hope this helps, for what it's worth.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-09-2007, 11:19 AM
balls;1800033']Using less swing doesn't necessarily mean you have to have less racquet-head swing.

Sorry, I meant to say that using less swing doesn't necessarily mean you have to have substatially less raquet head speed.

Supernatural_Serve
10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
What do you mean by 'touch'? I roughly get your drift, but how do i improve my touch without sacrificing the trajectory and spin of the ball?loosen your grip a little, make your big top spin strokes in mini tennis peak sooner on your side of the net, so the trajectory is changed a bit.

I like to play mini-tennis trying to hit the softest ball possible that's still got depth and net clearance using the same strokes from the baseline. To do so, I have to adjust my grip strength a little to maintain attention to footwork, preparation, and relaxed well formed strokes without it becoming painfully slow.

Without softer hands, I get too much drive on the ball.

Solat
10-10-2007, 04:29 AM
you need spin to get the ball down in time so you cannot drop racquet speed too much or you wont get the spin you need, this is a great game to practice your racquet and ball control.

Tennisplayer92
10-10-2007, 07:43 AM
what my coach does for us is he makes us play a game called the pwner game (odd name i know) and what happens is both players start at net one player places the ball on the net and lets go when this happens the reciever returns the ball and at net he can choose to swipe it to either side at sick angles but it IS possible to get to the ball you just have to stay on your feet and have INSANE focus on the ball. and well.. it helps develope patterns for watchign your opponents every move as well as the ball too. trickery not included. :P