PDA

View Full Version : Textured Strings Effect

Doc Hollidae
10-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I recently tried a few sets of Pro Supex Blue Gear and a set of Forten Aramid Gear. Previously I used to have fairly flat strokes and took the ball off the rise. This past year I've been working hard to add more topspin to my game. I started by trying textured strings and the first thing I noticed was I had to alter my strokes. Due to the strings biting into the ball, I noticed a much longer dwell time and a lot more balls hitting the net. Also a number of my shots would land unexpectedly short. Even though I was hitting flat, the strings were biting into the ball causing it's own topspin, although minimal. Once I got used to brushing up against the ball rather than hitting through the ball, I was able to hit with consistency and depth again.

So my question is, can textured strings be a decent training tool for topspin ground stroke techniques? Obviously the texture helps increase spin and ball bite, but does that texture also force you to take more a topspin oriented stroke?

User Name
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I personally feel that textured strings do add topspin, but take a look at this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160806