PDA

View Full Version : Confused about hybrids

jeremy6044
10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I just tried my first hybrid recently. I was always told by stringing shops that people only use hybrids when they are string breakers because hybrids offer more durability. to me it seems the opposite. i have poly in the mains and low gauge NXT in the crosses and after only three hitting sessions my crosses are frayed and extremely notched. they won't last much longer.

the catch is that this set-up is the best i've ever had for this racket (k90), so i'm pretty frustrated now that after all my experimenting and searching i finally found something i like, but it's so short lasting, it's impractical.

so what is the real hybrid situation? is it just that hybrids are the only way of getting the extreme spin and control of polys as well as the power of non-polys? and we just have to live with the lack of durability?

dupont
10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
use string savers. that should help

ThePro101
10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I just tried my first hybrid recently. I was always told by stringing shops that people only use hybrids when they are string breakers because hybrids offer more durability. to me it seems the opposite. i have poly in the mains and low gauge NXT in the crosses and after only three hitting sessions my crosses are frayed and extremely notched. they won't last much longer.

the catch is that this set-up is the best i've ever had for this racket (k90), so i'm pretty frustrated now that after all my experimenting and searching i finally found something i like, but it's so short lasting, it's impractical.

so what is the real hybrid situation? is it just that hybrids are the only way of getting the extreme spin and control of polys as well as the power of non-polys? and we just have to live with the lack of durability?

How much time were you getting out of your strings before the hybrid?
(Three full sessions without a break sounds pretty good to some people)

JLyon
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
NXT will fray and shred very quickly, so even though the feel is great it will not last long.
Had a great feel with Hurricane/NXT mix but lasted 4 hours.

jeremy6044
10-09-2007, 11:15 AM
i used to get months out of my strings. i'm mostly a baseliner who hits hard with topspin but since i hit through the ball (and not brush it will insane topspin), my strings wouldn't move around too much and last pretty long. plus, i used to play with low gauge nylons which would last. i never had a problem with strings breaking or fraying quickly before.

tbini87
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
poly is really stiff, so your crosses take most of the beating. find something more durable for the crosses. psg duraflex or original, gosen og micro, forten sweet are all popular choices because of their low price and decent playability. also use a 16 in the crosses if they are breaking too quickly. hope that helps!

bmichaelia
10-09-2007, 11:32 AM
i used to get months out of my strings. i'm mostly a baseliner who hits hard with topspin but since i hit through the ball (and not brush it will insane topspin), my strings wouldn't move around too much and last pretty long. plus, i used to play with low gauge nylons which would last. i never had a problem with strings breaking or fraying quickly before.

Try Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 crosses. Cheap, good feel, durable. A lot of hybrid users like them.

jeremy6044
10-09-2007, 11:41 AM
how much more durable will these suggestions be than NXT 16g? How much will string savers help?

carac
10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Yes, unfortunately the most durable solution is full poly ... so if you can handle it that is NOT the reason to go hybrid :) You might eventually try a full setup with a poly with more power - like Topspin Cyber Power or WeissCANNON MatchPower- or a poly/poly hybrid !!!

shojun25
10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
only use poly/ nxt hybrid if you can afford for the nxt. to be honest, nxt is a very soft string when used as a hybrid, but its just not very durable.

tbini87
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
how much more durable will these suggestions be than NXT 16g? How much will string savers help?

og micro and psg will be more durable (don't fray as much as nxt imo). can't really say how much more durable, because i am not a big string breaker. the best part is that you will be saving good money per string job.

Bengt
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
What about Zyex (Ashaway Dynamite 17)? I used this string solo and it was very resilient and durable. Too much power actually. I'm going to try it in my Mfil 300 poly hybrid next time as my 16 ga syn gut crosse are snapping early too.