PDA

View Full Version : how to hit a forehand like this...

JoeU
10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I love this guy's forehand. How can I hit like that? Would you someone
please break down the steps to hit like a forehand like this?

It seems he is not, contrary to advice often given around here,
really hitting through the ball, but mostly using the wiper motion
across his body. His forehand also has a very short takeback but
still generates lots of racquet speed.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v0B73icjjoE

Thanks,

Joe

Tennis_Monk
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
You have seen the video. best thing would be to take a video of you and then try comparing both. That way you can objectively see what you need to change to hit similar to this guy in the video.
(I am sure our forum would be glad to compare both videos for you)

Gee Willikers Batman!
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
He's good. I wonder how old he is.

drakulie
10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes he is hitting thru the ball, and yes he is using the windshield wiper motion.

RoddickAce
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
His forehand doesn't seem to powerful...honestly...maybe it's cuz I can't see the travel across the net. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but my casual start-a-warm-up rally forehand (when I was just starting to play)is faster than that. His shots seem very...well...ordinary and from the looks of it, I assume he's not consistent either. I honestly think the best way to hit hard is to have a full swipe at the ball. I know there are some physics formulas behind it, but I forgot what they were...anyway...Just cuz I'm saying his forehand isn't that great in this video doesn't mean he doesn't hit better when he's actually playing. But the back swing is so short!!!!!
Besides...power isn't anything, so he might own me with placement. But if u want a good forehand, try to model ppl who have long fluid strokes(like fed, but without the wrist cuz it's hard to time)

rum02
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
His forehand doesn't seem to powerful...honestly...maybe it's cuz I can't see the travel across the net. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but my casual start-a-warm-up rally forehand (when I was just starting to play)is faster than that. His shots seem very...well...ordinary and from the looks of it, I assume he's not consistent either. I honestly think the best way to hit hard is to have a full swipe at the ball. I know there are some physics formulas behind it, but I forgot what they were...anyway...Just cuz I'm saying his forehand isn't that great in this video doesn't mean he doesn't hit better when he's actually playing. But the back swing is so short!!!!!
Besides...power isn't anything, so he might own me with placement. But if u want a good forehand, try to model ppl who have long fluid strokes(like fed, but without the wrist cuz it's hard to time)

umm... he's a pro, ranked around 250 in the world at the moment. unless you are a pro too I highly doubt you have any aspect of your game even near a level that he has his at. It looks like he's just warming up.

RoddickAce
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
By the way, check out this link:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7896939721895288119&q=federer+forehand&total=116&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

It's a slow motion video of Fed's forehand...

O and by the way, oen thing was good about the guy in the initial video, he adjusts his feet and tries to side step and does a little bounce before he hits the ball.=)---(I've seen ppl who just stand there and try to arm the ball over and bend there back to reach for the ball)

RoddickAce
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
umm... he's a pro, ranked around 250 in the world at the moment. unless you are a pro too I highly doubt you have any aspect of your game even near a level that he has his at. It looks like he's just warming up.

Ya true...I agree with that, but I just don't think ppl should copy the warm-up forehand. I conceded to the fact that he probably has a way better forehand when he plays in the match.

lkdog
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

:-D His form is actually pretty textbook for a modern forehand.
I am guessing he hits the **** out of it.
Very efficient stroke with nice timing.

lolsmash
10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
By the way, check out this link:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7896939721895288119&q=federer+forehand&total=116&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

It's a slow motion video of Fed's forehand...

O and by the way, oen thing was good about the guy in the initial video, he adjusts his feet and tries to side step and does a little bounce before he hits the ball.=)---(I've seen ppl who just stand there and try to arm the ball over and bend there back to reach for the ball)

I don't know if you have done your fair share of research, but Federer's forehand is maybe one of the hardest to imitate. The reason his forehand is a lot bigger compared to everyone else's is because of this one thing that he does different. I don't recall what it is, but Nadal and Verdasco do it. JCo might know what it is because I think I read it on his website somewhere.

Anyway, Kei Nishikori's forehand isn't bad to imitate because he has most, if not all of the basic fundamentals required in having a solid forehand. He IS driving through the ball. Just because he has a lot of windshield wiper doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't driving through the ball.

Also, RoddickAce, I have a hard time believing that you would hit anywhere close to as fast a forehand as this guy does. If you ever go to a pro tournament and watch them warm up, the pace and spin that they have on their strokes is still amazing. Even then, they hit harder during a match situation as well.

Gee Willikers Batman!
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I just researched him up, and he's in the big leagues, so if anyone has anything to say about him, it better be good, because quite frankly, I doubt theres anyone on this forum that is good enough to play on the tour.

Gee Willikers Batman!
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, watch this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oD2UHevZ6F4

Look at the matchplay part, after his warming up.

tricky
10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
JoeU --
This will get you in the right direction (using an Eastern-ish grip.)

http://www.operationdoubles.com/forehand_tennis_technique.htm

From there, you can work on abbreviating the stroke by concentrating on taking the racquet back with the shoulder. Closing the armpit a little in the takeback can help with that.

HotCarl
10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Note that the person he is hitting to is AT THE NET. Therefore, the ball is going to be coming back a lot quicker than if the dude was all the way across the court, hence the shorter backswing. He does seem to have a pretty abbreviated swing on the backhand when playing Fleishmann

tdk
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
In the fist video I find the FH to be a lot different than in the match video. In the first video he bends his arm at the elbow while he later keeps it more straight. Maybe Im wrong but thats the way it looks to me. In the first video he really doesent have to reach for the ball and he is in no hurry to move anywhere so he is probably just trying to get a good feel for the ball with not much effort. He keeps the rackquet very close to his body all the way through the stroke. Starts off with a very little backswing and finnishes it off right in front of his chest and lets it drop down to the other side.

It shouldent be too hard to immitate this kind of FH. IMHO. But how to make it work is annother thing. I bet he has been trying to immitate some of the top players himselfe so that would be a better start for you. To go straight to the source and then compare them to each other. Just a thaught.

herosol
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
i was wondering. since this kid has like a crazy huge wind-shield wiper motion, what is happening with the old age "lets get our arm above the opposite shoulder" technique?

I mean is it as old as the dinosaurs, and just pretty much useless and classic?
For example: Andre Agassi's forehand, what happened to stroke finishes like that?

They don't work? Or is this whole wind-shield thing just a fad?

Photoshop
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
elbow against your body. classic Bollettieri forehand.

35ft6
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Ya true...I agree with that, but I just don't think ppl should copy the warm-up forehand. I conceded to the fact that he probably has a way better forehand when he plays in the match. A pro's warmup is different from a regular players. Usually, they've already been hitting for a while and already have a light sweat going.

I've seen this guy in person and he's got a good pro forehand. At the Open level, an incredible forehand. He was playing against Ryan Sweeting when I saw him, who has a big forehand for a pro, but even then it matched up well. I was more impressed by his backhand, which was just automatic.
elbow against your body. classic Bollettieri forehand. His elbow is ridiculously close to his body. Didn't notice that in person. Maybe it's more common than I realize and that's why I don't notice -- on the other hand, straight armed forehands like Fed's and Nadal's jump out at me.

Oxford
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Why don't you try to copy his match form and not his warm up form.

On his match form, he rotates his shoulders and drives with his legs more.

That is what I do. Well I try.

ox

kimizz
10-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Great FH :) effortless and smooth, just what I hate about pros, they make it seem like tennis is easy LOL

Nothing revolutionary tho, just torso rotation, double bend and layd back wrist. Maybe someone can find the posts by tricky about the WW forehand(im in a hurry :) ) Its the stuff about torso rotation and letting the relaxed wrist snap into a layd back position...

RoddickAce
10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, watch this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oD2UHevZ6F4

Look at the matchplay part, after his warming up.

Ya..Now that's a sick forehand...The earlier video didn't display his actual forehand well.

BTW, his backswing isn't short when he's actually playing, like some guy said earlier on, I think its cuz he's hitting to someone at net.

(Still...copy his match forehand, not his warm up forehand)

What grip does he use? I can't tell from the video, it's kinda blurry, in the later part of the second video, he smacked two big flat forehands(or maybe there was a ton of spin but I couldn't see properly). Those two shots were awesome.