PDA

View Full Version : k90 ideas for more power & spin?

jeremy6044
10-09-2007, 03:54 PM
i know this has been covered a million times, but we all experiment and try new set-ups. right now i have two in my k90s:

#1: luxilon 17g mains, NXT 16g crosses @ 49/51

#2: NXT 16g mains, luxilon 17g crosses @ 51/49

it's my first time trying hybrids and i have to say that (to my surprise) the first set-up is much much better than the second. the first one has tons of spin, the perfect amount of power, and plenty of control. the second set-up has more power, but much less spin...the ball just rockets.

(note: everything above that tension has been like a board to me...not enough power and dead feeling. also of note: i'm a baseliner who hits hard and throough the ball with moderate of topspin.)

even though i love the first set-up, the NXTs are being sliced by the lux, so i need to improve that situation somehow. i don't want to lose the extra power by going all poly, but i'm afraid of just using a more durable synthetic in place of NXT, too....will it help that much?

what do you use?

smittysan89
10-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Why not use a syn gut in the crosses and move the tension up a little bit?

jeremy6044
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
nooooo way with moving the tension up. i've tried too many string jobs with higher tensions....59, 54, 53...they all felt horrible. anyway, why would higher tension help the strings...i would think that would make it worse.

how much would a syn gut in the crosses help...a lot or a little?

saram
10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
i know this has been covered a million times, but we all experiment and try new set-ups. right now i have two in my k90s:

it's my first time trying hybrids and i have to say that (to my surprise) the first set-up is much much better than the second. the first one has tons of spin, the perfect amount of power, and plenty of control. the second set-up has more power, but much less spin...the ball just rockets.

(note: everything above that tension has been like a board to me...not enough power and dead feeling. also of note: i'm a baseliner who hits hard and throough the ball with moderate of topspin.)

even though i love the first set-up, the NXTs are being sliced by the lux, so i need to improve that situation somehow. i don't want to lose the extra power by going all poly, but i'm afraid of just using a more durable synthetic in place of NXT, too....will it help that much?

what do you use?

Have you tried string savers such as Roger is using? He has the poly in the crosses as well and not the mains...

predrag
10-10-2007, 12:36 PM

what do you use?

Well, NXT is garbage, plain and simple.
Expensive garbage at that
If you are hybriding, you should try Natural Gut.
It will last longer than NXT providing ultimate playability.

Regards, Predrag

drakulie
10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
ashaway kevlar crossfiree II, 16 gauge strung at 65 lbs.

hoodjem
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM

I'm a bit surprised at the lowish tensions here. I've heard that the K90 plays a lot like the old PS 6.0 original, which I used to string at 61-63 lbs. Much lower and they would all "hit the fence."

Of course maybe I'm way misinformed about the K90 playing like the PS 6.0.
(I do have my present nPS strung at 59, 57 seemed too low.)

jeremy6044
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
i used to use the ps85 @54, and that felt loose and powerful to me. now i go to one stringer and they put it at 56 and the (syn gut) strings move literally 2" every hit. i bet it was really in the low forties. with my current stringer, 53 (my last string job) felt dead and the (syn gut) strings hardly moved at all.

i have this suspicion now that every stringer can be 10 lbs off from the next shop. i have to say it's really annoying. but hey, if roger keeps his strings that low, maybe he knows the k90 better than everyone who's stringing it at 60lbs+?