PDA

View Full Version : How can I avoid pinching crosses?

Landshark
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I always run into the problem of pinching the string a little bit when I do the crosses. Looking at the racquet like the head is at the top, when I finish the cross right above the side support, all the string is on that side of the support, near the top of the racquet.

When I begin to threading the string into the grommet below the support, the string kinks as I am about to finish pulling it through. I don't know how to go from the head side of the support to the throat side without pinching it. Its usually not that big of a deal unless I am stringing SPPP. I used to take off the support for that moment but then the frame shifts a lot so I stopped doing that. Thanks

Calvin

saram
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Just pull the string slowly. Guide the "loop" of string on the outide of the frame as it decreases in size. If you just pull the string quickly, it will kink. If you take your time on those holes, you will be able to eliminate the kink. As well, sometimes you need to pull all of the string to the other side of the support/mount prior to pulling the string through the holes and it helps.

Not sure if my rambling makes any sense to you, hope it does.

Landshark
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
No matter how slowly I pull the loop, when the loop becomes very small, it kinks a little. That is my problem. I pull very slowly and I take my time when I string. I have tried pulling the loop to the other side of the support first before it goes into the grommet but I still have the same problem as the loop gets very small, it is forced to kink a bit before all the slack is taken up.

Thanks for the help saram.

Calvin

diredesire
10-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure I entirely understand your issue. If you are not getting a twist in the string, then it is just a natural occurrence. If you ARE getting a twist and it kinks, it helps to hold a finger in the loop and apply a little bit of back tension as you draw the string through for the "final tug."

Otherwise, the sharp bend of any outside edge can cause some strings to just "kink" a little bit. SPPP is one of those strings that needs to be treated gently. I'd just use a finger and hold the loop "open."

Landshark
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I had a feeling it would be hard to describe. How about imagining a hole with both ends of a string in the hole. Your hand is holding one of the ends of the string on one side of the hole. On the other side the hole is the loop of string. As you pull one end of the string, the loop on the other side gets smaller and smaller until it kinks and then goes thru the hole all kinked up. That is similar to what is happening me.

Lets say the side support on the machine is located between the 4th and 5th cross from the head. Once I have tensioned and clamped the 4th cross, I have to thread it into the 5th cross grommet. I have to go through the side support to get to the 5th grommet and this creates a loop of string near the 4th grommet. As I pull the 5th cross through the side support, the loop gets smaller and smaller, and just before it disappears, it has to kink the string a little bit before all the string can make it to the other side of the support.

The side support is the problem. On all the other holes, the loop is free to decrease in size naturally and disappear. Since the side support is so close to the 4th grommet hole where the string comes out, the string has to bend back on itself right before the loop disappears.

Sorry for the play by play but it is so hard to describe the moment I get the kink. It seems unavoidable to me and is the only part of my stringing that gives me any problem.

diredesire
10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I had a feeling it would be hard to describe. How about imagining a hole with both ends of a string in the hole. Your hand is holding one of the ends of the string on one side of the hole. On the other side the hole is the loop of string. As you pull one end of the string, the loop on the other side gets smaller and smaller until it kinks and then goes thru the hole all kinked up. That is similar to what is happening me.

Lets say the side support on the machine is located between the 4th and 5th cross from the head. Once I have tensioned and clamped the 4th cross, I have to thread it into the 5th cross grommet. I have to go through the side support to get to the 5th grommet and this creates a loop of string near the 4th grommet. As I pull the 5th cross through the side support, the loop gets smaller and smaller, and just before it disappears, it has to kink the string a little bit before all the string can make it to the other side of the support.

The side support is the problem. On all the other holes, the loop is free to decrease in size naturally and disappear. Since the side support is so close to the 4th grommet hole where the string comes out, the string has to bend back on itself right before the loop disappears.

Sorry for the play by play but it is so hard to describe the moment I get the kink. It seems unavoidable to me and is the only part of my stringing that gives me any problem.

Excellent description, i know exactly what you're talking about, now.

My advice is still the same, just hold it open with a finger as long as possible. If that still doesn't work, you can try threading it so it is halfway through both sides of the support, in an "M" shape. I personally think this might make the problem worse, though ;)

Have you been having any breakage issues? Is this kink leaving a dent prior AND after tensioning?

meh
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
For machines with those type of inferior side mounts, I will thread about 75% of the string through to the 5th hole, and then shift all of the remaining string over from the 4th hole side of the mount to the 5th hole side of the mount. All the slack is on one side of the mount now, and if you follow DD's suggestions for handling string carefully, then it will not kink. You can use an awl to gently bring the string between the mount and the racquet.

Landshark
10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
I am glad that you guys can relate. I thought for a second maybe only I experience that because of the way I string.

Diredesire, the kink is pretty minor and since that piece of string lies on the outside of the frame, it is hard to see or diagnose if it is real damage or not. I haven't had any breakage issues but I try to be real careful so I wanted to eliminate that kink if possible.

Meh, I do have a pretty cheesy stringer. I take it nicer stringing machines don't have that problem?

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try some of the suggestions next time I string. I have a feeling using my finger or an awl just might do the trick.

Calvin