PDA

View Full Version : Season over

BoldAxis
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
My high school tennis season is coming to an end and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to get better for next year. I'm already taking lessons with a private coach and have been for a little over a year now, and I only meet him once a week and I don't think I can meet him more than that cause of school. So are there any things I can do to get better? Is it worth going to a club if I'm taking private lessons?

Kaptain Karl
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Our season just ended too. I just finished putting together a one-page "Strengths, Things to Improve, Things you Need to Accomplish the Improvements" for each of my players. (Even the Seniors, who I won't have on the team again.)

Doesn't your Coach do this ... or something like it?

- KK

wihamilton
10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I would do two things: First, find a practice partner. Someone around your level you can hit with on a regular basis. Definitely take lessons if possible, but having someone you can rally with (for free) is a great way to work on what you learned during your lessons. Second, get in great shape. When I played HS tennis, I can't tell you how many matches I saw that were won by the player in better shape. Focus on movement -- the ability to run down shot after shot will wear down your opponent(s), both physically and mentally (it's intimidating to play someone you KNOW will get the ball back -- that's why everyone hates pushers). BTW I'm not advocating becoming a pusher -- nobody wants to be one, right, even though they win? :-) But you do want to be able to get to as many balls as possible.