PDA

View Full Version : Oversized racquet onslaught

jamauss
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
A while ago I began stringing racquets for the tennis center here in town. Before that I strung for about a half-dozen guys I played with regularly and the biggest head-size I saw from their racquets (4.0-5.0 level players) was about 98".

Now that I'm stringing more for the "general public" I'm stringing these huge head sizes pretty much all the time. I think the smallest stick I've strung for the tennis center has been 106".

I guess I never realized how big a racquet head most people are swinging these days. :o Does my experience match what other of you stringers out there see normally?

Valjean
10-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Maybe those you're servicing now are mainly doubles players, who are often advised to choose larger head sizes since they don't control points in the same degree and must do a lot of reflex play.

nickb
10-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Ive never seen a good doubles player use a racquet over 100sqin...bad players yes

keithchircop
10-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Not-so-good doubles players are better off with OS. It's no secret that volleys are the weakest point of most players nowadays.

Clintspin
10-10-2007, 04:14 AM
I just read yesterday, Babolot has two new big head sized racquets coming out. I think one is 118 sq. in.

Valjean
10-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Ive never seen a good doubles player use a racquet over 100sqin...bad players yes
You're a little off the beam, there. Just a year or so back the average head size on the ATP Tour itself--and it had been climbing--was reported as 105 sq. in. Popular teaching pros too, if you'll note what they use on camera.

Not every pro thinks he's just Sampras.

saram
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
A while ago I began stringing racquets for the tennis center here in town. Before that I strung for about a half-dozen guys I played with regularly and the biggest head-size I saw from their racquets (4.0-5.0 level players) was about 98".

Now that I'm stringing more for the "general public" I'm stringing these huge head sizes pretty much all the time. I think the smallest stick I've strung for the tennis center has been 106".

I guess I never realized how big a racquet head most people are swinging these days. :o Does my experience match what other of you stringers out there see normally?

I have noticed the same thing. People pick up my Prestige mids or my O3 Tour mids and comment on how small and heavy they are. These are the same people swinging 10 oz. 110 sq inch sticks. Everything they hit flies all over the place.

I think I have converted one player. He fell in love with the O3 Tour mids when he played two sets with them last night.

I would guess that 80% of the sticks I string for other players are over 100sq inches. I can only think of one player that hits with a 98 sq inch head in my local area.

nickb
10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
You're a little off the beam, there. Just a year or so back the average head size on the ATP Tour itself--and it had been climbing--was reported as 105 sq. in. Popular teaching pros too, if you'll note what they use on camera.

Not every pro thinks he's just Sampras.

Im not talking about pros...just good doubles players in my area...they all use nsix-one 95s and other MP racquets..

BurghKing
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
It should also be noted that most "club" level players do not spend a great deal of time practicing and fine tuning their games. Tennis is more a social thing for them. Therefore, they require a racquet with a larger head size to accomodate their lack timing and precision on shots. Just a thought.

Kaptain Karl
10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Ive never seen a good doubles player use a racquet over 100sqin...bad players yesIn my neck of the woods the range for both Singles and Doubles is 95 - 105. I think most people at this altitude lean towards bigger headed frames. Mids are the clear minority here. (I play with a 100.)

- KK

ChipNCharge
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
My indoor doubles league consists of a total of twelve NTRP 4.0 and 4.5 players (four 4.5's and eight 4.0's). Only one uses a head size smaller than 100". Most are between 102"-110". Two of the 4.5's use a racquet with a 112" head.

tbini87
10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
i see a good mix here in so cal. mostly mid+ players, with a lot of lower level players using oversize. most of the better guys play with MP racquets. i see very few women using anything other than OS.

dancraig
10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
When you start getting older, you can simply get more balls back over the net with a big racquet.

steve s
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Just got back from seniors sectionals where most of us play with 105 + racquets. Bigger racquets does not mean we can't play anymore.

Just because you play with a 96 inch head does not mean you can play.

Steve Huff
10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
In my area, most of the HS guys use either Mids or MPs. However, the most popular stick at the club I belong to is the Prince TT Rip or ThunderRIP.

Midlife crisis
10-12-2007, 01:08 AM
However, the most popular stick at the club I belong to is the Prince TT Rip or ThunderRIP.

I have one of each of these. These are great racquets and give up nothing to a smaller racquet if they're leaded up and strung with poly.

uk_skippy
10-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Im not talking about pros...just good doubles players in my area...they all use nsix-one 95s and other MP racquets..

What sort of age range are we talking about?

Regards

Paul

Burt Turkoglu
10-12-2007, 07:03 AM

What do you consider a good doubles player? 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, pro?

nickb
10-12-2007, 07:06 AM
What sort of age range are we talking about?

Regards

Paul

Any age...I play a good level of doubles and have yet to see players using OS racquets...im talking about NCL, Yorkshire League Devision 1 and Open doubles tournaments etc.

Im simply stating what I see.

Nick

fuzzfactory
10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
honestly, if they can hit well with an OS tennis racket then who cares? i think its MUCH better than all these ~2.5-3.5 players nowadays getting the k90/95s or even worse the PS or POG and framing every shot. also, they think heavier = better and so they can barely even swing the racquet.. use what you're comfortable with.

uk_skippy
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Any age...I play a good level of doubles and have yet to see players using OS racquets...im talking about NCL, Yorkshire League Devision 1 and Open doubles tournaments etc.

Im simply stating what I see.

Nick

Nick, I'm not questioning what you've said, but I also play a good level of doubles, approaching county and high club and I see plenty of players using OS rqts, especially if they are older, and by older I mean 50+. Hell, even at 37 I feel that sometime against younger players 16-28ish using N6.1's etc, I don't have enough power, the sort of power that OS frames can give.

Regards

Paul

Kaptain Karl
10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
nickb - Colorado sort of support your "age trigger." I'd guess at least 50% of players 35+ are using OS sticks. Singles ... Doubles ... I don't see a difference.

On the other hand, we have a lot of HS kids who "think they are Roger Federer" and use Mids. They tend to lose earlier in the competitions....

(I just reviewed our Regional Tournament Draw. It's the "playoff" to get to the State HS Tourney. Only 2 of 22 players who qualified for State -- from our very strong Region -- play with Mids. Four of these 22 play with OS frames. FWIW.)

[We earned more points than we did in last year's Regional ... and we fell two notches in the team standings. (Sheesh!) Well, I posted it was a strong Region....]

- KK