PDA

View Full Version : Back in Business.. help me make a switch.

zen555
10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Hello,

I am a former D1 college tennis player.. nearly three years ago I stopped playing tennis when I finished college. My last year was the year that poly's and specifically luxillons were becoming extremely popular on tour, I always wanted to give them a try but I suppose I was very comfortable with what had been working for me. Well after 3 years of not even touching a racket I signed up with my local club and I have some sticks that just arrived to demo and I'm ready to get into the swing of things.

I have read many of the posts on here regarding the poly strings etc but was looking for some specific feedback. For starters:

What was it like the first time you hit with a Poly? I really have no idea what to expect.. I do tend to like a "stiffer" feeling string as to me I feel like I can actually feel the ball more but I really dont know what to expect from a poly. Is a full string job extremely detrimental? (im fairly lazy when stringing and would rather not string a hybrid after years of stringing 4 rackets a day) Basically I'm looking for any testimonials on

* your first experience what surprised you or what to expect from poly

*which string to use? and tension? I generally had strung my rackets fairly tight around 64lbs (I was going to start with the obligatory alu power )

*Should I even make the switch (after seeing agassi's comments I am very compelled)

I will most likely be playing with a Kfactor 90 or 95 modded to ~ 12.7 OZ I'm 6ft 3 190 lbs all court player (if any of that helps)

Thanks!

Brian

Chauvalito
10-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I would say don't go by your first experience, it might actually be what your not expecting.

A week or evel longer playing specifically with poly will give you an idea of whether or not it is a good string for your game.

AmericanTemplar
10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't think that I really liked poly right off the bat. At the time was playing with natural gut, but I had one of my racquets strung with poly as a back up for wet weather and for hitting against the wall. Almost unconsciously I started to always go for the racquet strung with poly when I reached into my bag.

Something that I had often noticed is that when it's cold, windy, foggy etc. (typical San Francisco weather), no matter how hard I swung at the ball I would hardly be able to feel the impact. To me, poly strings seam to provide a much more consistent feel regardless of weather and allow me to place the ball much better than any other type of string.

If you read through these forums, you will learn that there are much better strings out there (in terms of tension/playing characteristic maintenance) than Luxilon. From what I've tried, I have liked Topspin Cyber Power, Kirschbaum Competition, Pro Supex Big Ace and Yonex Polytour 125, all more than Luxilon. Signum Pro Poly Plasma also has a large following on these boards.