PDA

View Full Version : Give us your Pet Peeve. . .

max
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
. . . is it traffic habits, grammar or spelling, personal tics (and tocks): list here your pet peeves.

One of mine is the form "try AND x" rather than "try To x".

forzainter
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
i hate it when people say the word 'lol' instead of just laughing, i hate it when people use shortened versions of words like 'u' and 'gr8' for example, that really annoys me so much

goober
10-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Imposters, frauds, people who make claims about themselves that they can't back up or show any evidence to be true. If it is a meaningless claim, no big deal but if it is central to their post or somehow meant to give more authority to what they are saying then I get irked.

hjminard
10-10-2007, 09:40 AM
"I seen ..." instead of the correct "I saw ...". Unfortunately common in Michigan ... and in much of the southern U.S.

Locally, in Michigan: "acrosst (acrossed?) the street", rather than the correct "across".

Here at work: non-disabled people who stick their arm between closing elevator doors, and then proceed to go up or down ONE floor. There are multiple staircases available ...

Serve em Up
10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Any movie starring Richard Benjamin

The word Lite

TheShaun
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
lack of common sense :mad:

chroix
10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Tragically, people using the word or telling me their pet peeve is my pet peeve. Oh cruel fate.

ilovecarlos
10-10-2007, 10:49 AM
"I seen ..." instead of the correct "I saw ...". Unfortunately common in Michigan ... and in much of the southern U.S.

Locally, in Michigan: "acrosst (acrossed?) the street", rather than the correct "across".

Here at work: non-disabled people who stick their arm between closing elevator doors, and then proceed to go up or down ONE floor. There are multiple staircases available ...

Oh...can I relate to this....I live just outside of Washington, D.C.
I can't bear being "axed" a question...
Used to work in a flower shop and I can't tell you how many people would call our shop raving about our designs but complaining that there were at least 5 spelling mistakes on the card:confused:
Guess the DC school system isn't graduating too many English majors:-(

max
10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Carlos. . . You must mean the schools AIN'T graduating no English majors.

Topaz
10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Used to work in a flower shop and I can't tell you how many people would call our shop raving about our designs but complaining that there were at least 5 spelling mistakes on the card:confused:

The DC school system can't even get enough books for their students!

My pet peeve...unfunded educational mandates!!!!

veritech
10-10-2007, 12:18 PM

yeah, it bugs me, too. "aksed."

hjminard
10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
The word Lite

Good one. I'm irritated by most if not all intentional mispellings (e.g., Krispy Kreme, "Xtreme" anything, etc.)

I forgot my two biggest peeves:

(1) The expression "Oh my God!"

(2) "Xmas" instead of Christmas.

LarougeNY
10-10-2007, 01:55 PM
1. chewing with your mouth open. We do have lips for a reason.
2. Arrogance.
3. Judgemental fools that base what they think of you on a cursory impression
4. Overly aggressive, self-serving people
5. People who ruin other people's game.

ollinger
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
People who say a racquet "rewards a full swing with good pace." Is there a racquet that doesn't do this?

RoddickAce
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Anyways as opposed to Anyway when used at the wrong time.

drakulie
10-10-2007, 02:10 PM
my girflriend or anyone for that matter talking on the phone while in the car with me. (especially my girlfriend).

Kaptain Karl
10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
... Drivers who wander while gabbing on their phones.

... Taxes

... Foot-faulters

- KK

Topaz
10-10-2007, 02:20 PM
my girflriend or anyone for that matter talking on the phone while in the car with me. (especially my girlfriend).

Oh, I hate that, too! I think it is rude!

You know, you *really* need to swing by the bistro, drak!!!

Freedom
10-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Other people vacuuming. I can vacuum with no issues, but when someone else is doing it...the noise drives me CRAZY!

dave333
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
OMG I DID SO GOOD ON THAT TEST!!!

yea...

BreakPoint
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
People who spell "alot" as one word, instead of "a lot".

People who use the word "irregardless".

People who pronounce the "t" in the word "often".

People who use code words like "y", "u", "r", etc. instead of real English to post on the Internet. Are they typing their posts on their cell phone numerical keypads? :confused:

People who hold and talk on their cell phones while driving.

People who turn up the volumes on their car stereos so loud so that everyone within a one mile radius is forced to listen to their crappy music.

And this may just be in California and the one thing that ****es me off the most, but PEOPLE WHO NEVER USE THEIR TURN SIGNALS WHEN MAKING A TURN!!! :mad: Do all these people seriously think that all the other drivers on the road are freaking mind readers????!!!! :confused: :roll:

CanadianChic
10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
There are way too many to list under the 10,000 limit for a post, but I will say that two are:

When people pronounce Valentine's day as Valentime's,

and similarly,

When people pronounce sandwich as sammich.

Arrggh!

MomentumGT
10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Mine would be:

1) A random doubles partner telling me how to play when they themselves are terrible and or have no tournament experience and they're playing badly.

2) People who talk on their cell phones while driving.

3) Getting choked unconscious @ jui-jitsu training.

4) Over crowded tennis courts.

5) Nagging Ex-GF trying still to get back together.

6) Burnt steak.

-Jon

Bodacious DVT
10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
poor table manners are the worst. chewing with your mouth open, talking with food in your mouth, i just hate it.

str33t
10-10-2007, 06:49 PM
people who drag their feet when they walk.

mcpon
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
people who use the word "one" too much in this type of way: "when one knows how one is . . . "

SoBad
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Just a lot of things, really. Like when some wannabe club like 18th st lounge in dc for instance stops being open on tue nights out of the blue. Also ticks me off when people who are too trashed to compose good posts on an internet forum do it anyways. And also people being mental on the court are really annoying about tennis to me. And people just being weird is really annoying, because nobody knows what's going in.

ilovecarlos
10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
There are way too many to list under the 10,000 limit for a post, but I will say that two are:

and similarly,

When people pronounce sandwich as sammich.

Arrggh!

Sreammmmmmmmmmm!!! When working in flower shop on Valentine's Day (this is pure hell just in case anyone wondered) I would get calls, "I wanna order 12 dozen of roses".....runs away from computer screaming nooooooooo!

chess9
10-11-2007, 08:06 AM
People who say a racquet "rewards a full swing with good pace." Is there a racquet that doesn't do this?

Bwuahahahaha! So true for most of the lexicon of racquet testers. Just buy the bloody thing and try it for yourself!

-Robert

PimpMyGame
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't like seeing anyone being treated like dirt because they are a waiter, shop assistant, cleaner, etc. etc. I occasionally see a fellow director at work pull up to the gate at the end of the day and expect the security guard to walk to his car and collect his keys. Why can't he get out and hand them over like any normal human being?

chess9
10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Mine would be:

1) A random doubles partner telling me how to play when they themselves are terrible and or have no tournament experience and they're playing badly.

2) People who talk on their cell phones while driving.

3) Getting choked unconscious @ jui-jitsu training.

4) Over crowded tennis courts.

5) Nagging Ex-GF trying still to get back together.

6) Burnt steak.

-Jon

#1 would be the biggest earsore on the courts. I had to tell a guy the other day that if he were going to coach on the courts to do it with people who wanted to be coached and wanted to pay for it.

Never tell your partner what he should be doing in the middle of a match, unless he's breaking the rules, then do it gently. Consultation is not the same thing as saying "Why did you go for that volley?", usually said with derision bordering on hysteria. 99.99% of us are woefully poor amateur players and 99.999% of the matches have no significance except for their excercise and varying ego values. Have fun, not fuss.

-Robert

PimpMyGame
10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Of course I must add that drivers who refuse to indicate annoy me. Bad grammar and spelling used to **** me off, but now I'm over it (unless it's an official document, then there are no excuses).

Serve em Up
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Like I was reading this post then I like thought it really drives me nuts when like people use the word like all of the time. It's like they never learned how to speak properly like when they were in school!

ananda
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
the thread title like says "Give us you pet peeve".
Like what are you going to do with it ?
And i'd like like to know who is this "us" anywayS.

p.s. my pet peeve is people using "anyways".

power_play21
10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
people who arent aware of the noise they make. either on a test chewing gum real loud, or spazically tapping their foot on the floor.

oh, and wistlers. why the heck do people wistle? i hate it.

also jeans that look like they were put in a mega blender and have holes all over the place.

also white college guys who dress like they are ghetto gangsters with those weird hats with stickers, pointe to the side, with huge jeans and colorful huge tshirts, walking like theyre taking a dump.

and professors who dont know how to teach. that is the worse. they just put up the powerpoint, fly through the material an you havent got a clue whats going on.

oh and when people get bad grades but they didnt put the effort in to get a good one in the first place, then they complain about the class and the professor. and then they tell you to go to hell when you get a good grade.

and people who walk like thyre in NY or something. dont even look at you, like they have this 'higher cause' function they need to do that is critical and cant make the effort to say hi, smile or something.

and pedestrians who think they can just cross the road anywhere and its your responsability to stop.

and police officers who pull you over for going 5 above.

and giving flowers and a tedy bear. anything more cheasy then that?

oh and people who listen to their ipods at mega maximum volume, and you hear that tiny little annoying music coming out the headphones.

and unibrows. those are just scary actually.

ok i think thats it.

forzainter
10-11-2007, 11:27 AM
dont you mean whistlers?

CanadianChic
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
How about when you politely ask a male to move by saying "excuse me" and they respond very loudly "squeeze you?".

BreakPoint
10-11-2007, 02:03 PM

And related to that, people who say "Wimbleton" instead of "Wimbledon". Even lots of experienced sportscasters say it wrong. It drives me nuts and shows your ignorance of the sport.

Keifers
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
When people write "it's" when they should write "its".

"It's" is short for "it is" -- as in "it's a heavy frame".

"Its" is the possessive -- as in "he found its weight hard to handle".

OK, already?!! ;) :D

Jack the Hack
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Early on in my career, I worked with a manager that was a frequent pot smoker. His short term memory was so bad, I learned quickly that I had to communicate anything important in an e-mail so that there would be a record of what happened. This e-mail habit has stuck with me and I use this medium of communication as my primary method at work. I'm good at it also. One of the sales reps from a vendor we use a lot once said that I was the "world's greatest e-mailer."

Given this, my pet peeve is spending time to create a well written e-mail that clearly defines a problem or spells out what I need... only to have the recipient either not read it, or respond with a flippant one liner asking a question that is already answered in what I wrote!!! :roll:

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
10-11-2007, 03:07 PM
People who leave their shopping trolleys in the middle of the aisle

People who talk too loudly on cellphones in public places

People who stay over your house too long when you want them to go home

People who reply, "That's what I said, isn't it?!" when you repeat what they've said to make sure you understood their English

Drivers who get ****ed and yell at you for GOING the speed limit!

Having no lip balm when my lips are chapped

Forgetting to save game while playing a video game then someone turns it off and having to do everything all over again

----among other things.....

Dedans Penthouse
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
-getting that 'static-electric' shock in winter when e.g., you walk across a carpeted floor and then lightly touch the metal plate on a wall light switch......... 'T H W A C K !'

-having someone throw a plugged-in blowdryer at you while you're trying to play 'battleships' vs. 'U-boats' in the bathtub

-having a gun pointed at you, then finding out it was only a starter's pistol :neutral:

-getting your "you-know-what" snagged in the teeth of a metal zipper when "zipping-up" (ouch!) :shock:

-watching people without any fillings 'show-off' by purposely chewing on aluminum foil "in-your-face"

-selfish people who think there's a 3 second "grace period" that's allowed before you're not allowed to run a red light

-warm beer

-cold women

-I don't know what a "peeve" actually is, but if I had one, I'd make sure to to 'pet' it :-)

CanadianChic
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
-getting that 'static-electric' shock in winter when e.g., you walk across a carpeted floor and then lightly touch the metal plate on a wall light switch......... 'T H W A C K !'

-having someone throw a plugged-in blowdryer at you while you're trying to play 'battleships' vs. 'U-boats' in the bathtub

-having a gun pointed at you, then finding out it was only a starter's pistol :neutral:

-getting your "you-know-what" snagged in the teeth of a metal zipper when "zipping-up" (ouch!) :shock:

-watching people without any fillings 'show-off' by purposely chewing on aluminum foil "in-your-face"

-selfish people who think there's a 3 second "grace period" that's allowed before you're not allowed to run a red light

-warm beer

-cold women

-I don't know what a "peeve" actually is, but if I had one, I'd make sure to to 'pet' it :-)

Post of the thread right here folks!! Oh D, you need your own column somewhere. I would but a subscription even if it is in Football Weekly just to hear your little pearls of wisdom. :p

str33t
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
People who say "um" too much. Especially when they're giving a presentation in school or something like that.

It's like they don't know what they're going to say.

tenniskid3119
10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
How about when you politely ask a male to move by saying "excuse me" and they respond very loudly "squeeze you?".

sometimes when people say "escuse me" to get by someone will say "did you fart?" well in my city at least...

CanadianChic
10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
sometimes when people say "escuse me" to get by someone will say "did you fart?" well in my city at least...

Thanks for the heads up...next time I'm in Tyler Texas I'll be sure to use an alternative expression. ;)

max
10-12-2007, 07:13 AM
You know, since I posted this, I forgot my true pet peeve, the one I thought was closest to my (irritable) heart!

Oh, I suppose people who say "I" when "me" is the appropriate pronoun (they think it's more high-falutin'). To me, it shows some ignorance.

Dedans Penthouse
10-12-2007, 07:34 AM
How about when you politely ask a male to move by saying "excuse me" and they respond very loudly "squeeze you?"...and CC, those 'smoooth' guys are probably the same type 'o clowns who'll feel compelled/insecure (during the 'afterglow') to ask their female partners if they....er,....."arrived" :rolleyes:

heartman
10-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Grammar is a big one for me. Outspoken individuals annoy me. And I'm not real big on bullies - I've worked for a couple over the years - I really hate it when little people try to be big people, if you know what I mean.

On the flip, I'm a sucker for good seafood.

ilovecarlos
10-12-2007, 08:49 AM
And related to that, people who say "Wimbleton" instead of "Wimbledon". Even lots of experienced sportscasters say it wrong. It drives me nuts and shows your ignorance of the sport.

Oh yes Breaker...this drives me nuts too!!!!!

Gugafan_Redux
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
People who don't know how to get on a highway or freeway. The ramp I take to the office in the morning, I'm either behind someone who's merging into 75-mph traffic at 42 mph (forcing me to do the same, which is not a problem because I'm in a big hurry, but because it's dangerous!), or there's someone behind me, who as I merge into the freeway at a 60 crosses the white lines behind me and dashes over two lanes, as if I should have hit 85 by now. Grrrrr!

max
10-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Oh, here's one. People who say "PREEE-sentation" instead of "present-ation". That drawn-out E just says southern hick to me. But that's the new norm. Funny when done by a guy in a nice suit, talking about a serious business meeting.

"Maw, I done my PREEE-sentation real good!"

raiden031
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
My pet peeves:

1) Drivers who are aren't courteous to other drivers, or who don't get over when a lane ends until after the lane ends and they have to slow everyone else down in order to squeeze in front of as many people as possible.

2) Frivilous lawsuits, I am counting down until a day comes that I am sued for $1 million for something rediculous.

3) People who play the race card when it comes to everything negative that happens to them or anyone else they know.

4) People who admittedly aren't sure if the ball was IN or OUT and they always call it OUT! Learn the damn rules!!!

5) People who mooch off other people.

topspin_17
10-19-2007, 03:31 AM
1. chewing with your mouth open. We do have lips for a reason.
2. Arrogance.
3. Judgemental fools that base what they think of you on a cursory impression
4. Overly aggressive, self-serving people
5. People who ruin other people's game.

yeah, please don't masticate with your mouth open. ;)

and i hate those kids who press all of the elevator buttons in the elevator, especially when you're in a hurry

AV1
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
General Pet Peeve:
Parents who j-walk while carrying an infant or pushing them in a stroller.

Tennis Pet Peeves:
An opponent who always calls out the scores on your service game- right before your service motion.

An opponent while returning serve "squeaks" their shoes louder and louder as the points get more and more crucial.

jmsx521
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Mine is probably capitalism. It's really a global one!

Kaptain Karl
12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Mine is probably capitalism. It's really a global one!See if you keep this peeve after you've graduated and are seeking gainful employment....

- KK

lethalfang
12-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Ya know, I hate it when people say things like, "like" and "ya know," like, ya know, all the time.

lethalfang
12-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Mine is probably capitalism. It's really a global one!

No problem. Defect to North Korea.

jmsx521
12-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Two other ones:

1. Agassi blowing his nose on the court, without using paper-tissue.

2. Corporatists putting bar-codes and pricing info on stickers everywhere on their products. Sometimes, when you try to remove the sticker, it damages the product.

Rickson
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
People who discriminate. I hate people who think they're doing a good thing by discriminating, whether it be for hiring practices or racism, discrimination is disgraceful and that's my biggest peeve.

Bundey
12-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Women during "that time of the month"

AlpineCadet
12-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Poor service/knowledge at fine restaurants.

topspin_17
12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
PeOPLeZ WhO tAlk lYK d1S... haha

and people who say they're really good at playing tennis and when they get out onto the court, they can't hit for nuts.

Rickson
12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
PeOPLeZ WhO tAlk lYK d1S... haha

and people who say they're really good at playing tennis and when they get out onto the court, they can't hit for nuts.

I got mad tennis skills yo!

Leelord337
12-09-2007, 04:51 PM
my tennis pet peeves: i'm pretty funny about bouncing the ball 7 times when serving. and i went to academy before a match and bought 7 cans of balls

origmarm
12-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Where do I start, I'm practically Victor Meldrew:

- People on the phone driving
- People who don't use indicators
- Traffic "calming" measures
- People walking three abreast on the pavement REALLY slowly...grrr
- People playing music on their mobile phone without headphones
- The tube
- People who play the race/discrimination card when they are in fact incompetent
- Positive discrimination (note the word discrimination dammit!)
- Ceaseless London rain
- People who smoke in restaurants

It just goes on and on.....must....control....anger...... :)

Tennis-Chris
12-10-2007, 04:08 AM
On the freeway people in the #1 lane who lollygag along holding up the flow of traffic. I don't care if the speed limit is 55 or 65 mph - if traffic is flowing at 75 then get out of the way. No, this is not road rage, it's called common F****** courtesy. :mrgreen:

max
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Here's one: modern manufacturing quality: Now, you buy an electrical appliance and feel good if you manage to get one year's work out of it.

Consider how well built those toasters, heaters, etc., were built in the 50s: built them like tanks, they lasted forever, still work, etc.

Tour 90
12-10-2007, 03:16 PM
people who think their tough becasue they play football

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
stupid threads

Zets147
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
loud people
rude people
The word Aracataca (not really, I love this word)

JohnS
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
-"...you is..."
-driving while talking on the phone
-DRIVING WHILE TEXTING
-"are you chinese or japanese?"
- "you know some of that kung-fu"
- "bad driver" <-- yet most fatal car accident's do not involve asians.
-give me nicknames that i don't approve
-"the customer's always right"
-talking in the theatre
-cell phone in the theatre
- baby in the theatre
- kicking my chair in the theatre
- smell of the urinals in the theatre
- speeding to a stop light <- why? it's red?
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way <- yeah, the right to die if they think a car is going to stop if they are crossing the street when they want to.
- people who play loud music in their car's just to appear "cool"
- people who say they are going to call but do not
- women who are late
-"how can you not like football?"
-people who think tennis players are the most "fit" athletes when they have ONLY played tennis and none other sport

Janne
02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Babies: they are crap; make them cry.
Illiteracy.
Ignorance.

Just to name a few.

Frodo Baggins
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
my pet peeves are>People with Attitudes :roll:,relitives calling when your about to eat dinner..Arrrg Can't they wait till After To Phone you!!!,An The Phone Waking you up At 7 in the morning:rolleyes: When Your a Sleeping in Person!!!,An Last Relitives coming Over When your watchin Tennis Geesh..It's really annoying!!!

Moses Man
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
When people misuse the phrase "beg the question" to mean "raise the question"...

Apparently I'm not alone: http://begthequestion.info/

Nadal_Monfils
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Whispering.

Shahar26
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Real estate brokers

racquet_jedi
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
1. When people make one statement, but then pretty much contradict that statement in their next one...

2. When people pronounce things wrong... (I sometimes force myself to correct them...)

3. People that brag profusely without backing up their words, I just wanna beat their #$$%$ till they can't walk.

4. Really stupid people that don't make an effort to even try and think.

5. Posers that don't know how to be honest...

6. People that have to be big babies about things...(Admittedly, I'm like this sometimes when I'm talking with my parents...)

7. People that don't know how to respect rules or authority...

8. People that completely disregard rules intentionally...

9. People that claim to know everything when all they know is nothing...

10. Girls that talk too much and too loud...(Unless they're cool and they're my friends)

11. People that don't know what they are talking about...

12. People who don't care about what happens after school and what they'll do when their parents kick them out of the house because they're tired of their kids mooching off of them...(pretty much everyone at my middle school that thinks that life is a free ride and they don't have to work for anything...)

13. Guys that can't show girls respect and treat them respectfully...

14. People that are overtly stuck-up when they really aren't all that...

15. People that don't know how to have fun...

The list just goes on and on...

TNT16
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM

That may not necessarily be related to a lack of education. I know of Yale graduate who keeps talking about "nukular" things . . . also relevant in the DC context for the time being ;)

auzzieizm
02-28-2008, 04:51 AM
People who do not clean up after themselves- especially in the kitchen.

People who smoke into old age.

Closed minded people who think there is only one way to do anything

357sig
02-28-2008, 07:29 AM
slouching! poor and sloppy habbits at the gun range.