PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship Questions

tennisfanatic6060
10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I've got a couple of questions about sponsorships. If you know any of the answers to any of the questions, feel free to answer. Thanks.

1) What does your ranking have to be if you want to get sponsored by Fila or Yonex?

2) I'm an 8th grader from Michigan, so next year I'll be on our school's high school team. Right now, they are ranked #1 in the state. If you win a state title (3 doubles, 2 singles, etc.) who could you get sponsored by?

3) Can you be sponsored by more than one company at the same time?

chrisplchs
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Sponsorships.. you need to be ranked sectionally or nationally. Rarely are state ranked sponsorships available.

Sometimes, a company will sponsor a team.. however, it is rare and far few in between. College teams will get sponsored, if they are a big time program. Read: the worst team in the Pac-10 or ACC or SEC will get more sponsorships than the best D2 or D3 or MAC team.

For high school teams, your best hope is that you play for Southlake Carroll or Miami Northwestern or some other powerhouse high school football program. Sponsorship is a two way street. You obviously have to be good, but also you have to gain exposure. Since high school tennis isn't on ESPN anytime soon, you need to have some program that will be and football is the only one. For example, Under Armour has a blanket contract with the Southlake High School Athletics, thus all Southlake teams have to use Under Armour

So to answer your question: you probably won't get sponsored if you aren't any good but your team is good. You'll probably get some sponsored if you are ranked high sectionally.

tennisfanatic6060
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
So, chrisplchs, if I wanted to get sponsored, would I be better off playing USTA tournaments instead of playing on my high school team?

chrisplchs
10-12-2007, 07:42 PM
fanatic,

yes. You won't get squat playing just high school tournaments. USTA tournaments if you want to have any shot of getting sponsored.

tennis_nerd22
10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
but still play high school obviously cuz its good practice and you can still go far and get noticed. plus coach's words always are a good thing to add to your tennis resume, as ar HS titles