PDA

View Full Version : Ugh my two hander...

Bundey
10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Okay, it seems like every part of my game is improving, except my two handed backand. It is very weak, and have a tough time putting any pop on it. It always ends up sailing long if I try to put any topspin on it. When I try to hit with topspin it sails out really high and weak. I always end up slicing it, or hitting flat. I really want help on this. If I could improve this part of my game to the leve of my forehand I would be so much improved. What grip should I be using? Please help!

Thanks, Bundey.

Narcissist
10-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Most of the power from a 2hbh comes from coiling and then uncoiling your body - 'arming' a 2hbh just gets no power at all.

Topspin on 2hbh is usually pretty easy, just brush up the back of the ball more when you hit. If the ball is going high and long your raquet face is probably too open (esp if you often hit slice), try closing in down a bit.

I can't imagine being able to hit slice successfully with 2hbh!

If you are having a bad time with it maybe try a 1 hander?

Supernatural_Serve
10-11-2007, 04:42 AM
When I try to hit with topspin it sails out really high and weak.Take a really good look at your grip and your racquet face orientation to the ball at impact. Get someone to feed you some easy balls and simply take an easy but proper swing at the ball with one objective: to roll your racquet up the back of the ball.

You can get some to good topspin on a backhand since it doesn't require a massive cut at the ball. Big backhand cuts that aren't timed right, where the racquet is too open, usually have too much drive and not enough spin imparted on the ball and thus they sail long.

After you are really comfortable simply rolling your racquet over the ball, crank up the heat (a little) and see if you can keep the depth you were previously getting without driving balls off the court.

Lendl's Forehand
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Bundey, dont feel bad I'm a pretty good player (5.0) and my 2HBH still sucks.

It's hard to watch the pros like Nalbandian and Davedenko with their effortless 2 handers.

My goal is to learn to primarily hit a left handed forehand, with minimal usage of the right hand. Unfortunately I am not there yet. Luckily I can rely on my slice! (and of course I run around everything I can)

Messarger
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Maybe you should try closing your stance or neutralizing it. I hit it with a neutral stance whenever possible. For me its much easier to have trunk rotation.

Also, maybe you can bend your knees more or something. Whenever i dont hit a good backhand, its 90% of the time because of my knees.

Nellie
10-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe you can be like Fernando Gonzalez and give up your two handed backhand and only hit a one handed slice shot? In that way, the backhand side is pretty much a push instead of a liablity. I personally took a similar course by deciding to serve and volley most points because I found that my ground strokes were simply too inconsistent to compete against strong baseliners.

If you want suggestions to improve your backhand, we would need more information on your problems (deep, short, soft, inconsistent) and your backhand (grip, take back, follow through, etc.)

Personally, I see that most people have problems with the 2-hander in a couple areas -

pushing the high balls by locking the shoulder and leaning into the shot (swing hard and hit weak shots into the bottom of the net)

moving your head as you swing to look at the opponent (miss ball/hit into the net)

being to stiff throughout the stroke (swing hard but still get a weak shot)

similarly, starting loose, but then straightening your knees and lifting up with the legs as you swing, instead of staying down on the shot (alteranate between hitting into the net or flying way out)

failing to fully extend on the backhand-side arm at point of contact. (swing hard but still get a weak shot/ have poor direction control)

I think my 2-hander has gotten better by shortening my backswing. I practiced by programmed a ball machine to land balls right in front of me (or you can have a friend feed balls), so I had to take the balls on the rise with little back swing. I feel with the shorter backswing, I am hitting much more accurately, with about 90% of the original power.

Bundey
10-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Most of the power from a 2hbh comes from coiling and then uncoiling your body - 'arming' a 2hbh just gets no power at all.

Topspin on 2hbh is usually pretty easy, just brush up the back of the ball more when you hit. If the ball is going high and long your raquet face is probably too open (esp if you often hit slice), try closing in down a bit.

I can't imagine being able to hit slice successfully with 2hbh!

If you are having a bad time with it maybe try a 1 hander?

Thanks, you guys have given my great advide.
For slice I use a one hander...

cliff
10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
There was some good advice regarding using your left hand more, have you seen Sharapova hit her left handed forehand, she obviously has practiced it many times before. If you go to www.procomparetennis.net you can see all the two handed BH's you want of the top ATP and WTA tour players