PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Alchemist...

TennisNinja
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Does anyone here know what book is being referred to on page 16 of the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho?
Here is the excerpt. "He started to read the book he had bought. On the very first page it described a burial ceremony ... When he was finally able to concentrate on what he was reading, he liked the book better; the burial was on a snowy day, and he welcomed the feeling of being cold."
There are more clues throughout the book, but I haven't been able to find out what book the boy is reading.
This would be extra credit for class, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ewcrider
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
have you read the entire book? It has been a while since i read it, but doesnt he switch books the the englishman seeking the alchemist?

TheShaun
10-10-2007, 10:19 PM
i've tried to read this book 2 or 3 times and i think it's just horrible. i wish you luck.

TennisNinja
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I know, I hate this book too, but it's required. Thanks for the comments though. My teacher wants to find out what book it is, an whoever finds out gets extra credit, so yeah...

TheShaun
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
curiosity got the better of me so i went to the book shelf, blew the dust off this thing and began to skim. anyway, i have a guess as to what the book may be. of course i'm not going to give you the answer. but keep me posted, i want to know if i'm right. what do you think it may be?

Mister G
10-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Woah really? This is one of my favourites

TennisNinja
10-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Haha. People generally just love this book or hate it a lot. I don't really like this book. I have no idea what this book may be and I've thought and thought about it. I wonder what anyone else might know?

ewcrider
10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
now i'm really curious. I went to the library, but they dont have it, so i couldnt find the answer. I can see how the book could be a great read for some people, but it was definitely not one of my favorites.

There's a prologue in the Alchemist that tells a variation of the Narcissus story, right? That was the best part of the book.

TennisNinja
10-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah I thought the prologue was really neat, but the rest of the book doesn't interest me much. Maybe it's because I like books with more action in them and I'm also a pretty literal and logical person. I'm really curious about the book in the story, since it seems like it's a real book, but I haven't found a definitive answer to what it is.

Serpententacle
11-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I think I found out the answer to this question. The book he seems to be reading is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO by Boris Pasternak.