PDA

View Full Version : So Happy Coria Decided To Play The Masters Cup (Yeah Right!)

Foo4Everlong
11-12-2004, 08:26 AM
:arrow:

I'm so mad this *** decided to play the final tournament of the year while still playing injured. This dude hasn't played tournament tennis/grand slam tennis in at least 5 months or more, and decided that playing in a tournament with the biggest and top 8 players in the world would be the best way to make his comeback. Watch how all these guys completely walk all over his ***. I'm predicting straight set matches for his opponents all the way through. Gaudio is a close second next to not putting up a big fight against these top players. Seeing that he only has a winning record against is Hewitt. Two boring players with no flare in their games whatsoever. But I'm mostly ****ed that both of these players basically took Andre's spot away from this tournament. I feel that the ATP point system needs to get rid the rule that as long as you win one of the grand slams you are automatically included into the end of the year Masters Cup finale. And just stick with the point system. The more points the better. Gaudio is technically number 10, and it not in the top 8 at all. Andre and Nalbandian deserve to be involved for sure. Yes, Andre is nursing a bad hip, but with two weeks rest, one week of play would have hopefully been fine. I just think Andre is probably has less of an injury and has been playing quite a bit more than Coria, and therefore would have been the better entry. Well good luck Coria, you're gonna need it! Later

pound cat
11-12-2004, 08:35 AM
If you were Coria and had a chance to play in Houston, injured or not, maybe the only chance, wouldn't you play? No one took Andre's spot away. He didn't earn enough points to be in Houston.

drakulie
11-12-2004, 08:39 AM
I just hope Coria re-injureshimslefsowedonot have to watch his boring *** play next year. He always seems to lose because of an injury.

2004 FrenchOpen
2004 Nasdaq
2004 Wimbledon ( I don't like playing on grass- I suck. AND THAT GOES FOR ALLTHE CLAY COURTERS!)
2003 Australian
ETC.

BiGGieStuFF
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Coria deserves to be in the tournament injury or not since he qualified. It says a lot that he still has enough points to keep him qualified after being out that long. Andre didn't have enough points but even so he indicated he was injured anyway so should Agassi have not taken then invitation to the masters if he did qualify? I wanted Agassi to be there but it's not the players fault they qualified. It's the ranking system so blame it on that.

rhubarb
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I'll admit to a similar annoyance with regard to Coria's playing the TMC. He certainly deserves to be there - he's earnt the necessary points, but if he's not fit, I don't think he should play.

Only a couple of weeks ago at the most he admitted he was only at 60%, and his coach had recommended he didn't play. He intends to play one match and more if possible, but if he's not up to it, then it's unfair to the other players, the spectators, and himself since he puts himself in danger of further injury.

I'd love to have seen Agassi be part of this TMC too. I also agree that there's a good case for the top eight being accepted rather than use the GS wildcard. However, the rules are what they are (due to politics between the ATP and ITF), and all the players know about them. So Andre needed to earn the points to get seventh spot. He didn't, so he doesn't qualify. Maybe this will change in the next few years, but I'm not holding my breath.

Strange to think that if Coria had actually converted one of his championship points in the RG final, Agassi would be playing this week, by right ;)

Kevin Patrick
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Normally I have no problem with any player entering a tournament injured/not physically ready/etc.

But in a tournament with only 8 players it really is a shame that Coria chose to make his comeback here. He has no realistic chance of winning due to his shoulder & I doubt will be able to play all 3 matches.

This is unfortunate for the fans and the players. If Coria withdraws after say 1 or 2 matches, the alternate has basically no chance of advancing & the matches he plays will be meaningless exhibitions.

I also agree that the 'highest ranked slam winner not in the top 8' getting in is pretty lame. You promote the event as having the top 8 but that's not true. They started this rule in 2000 & this is the third time a player not in the top 8 will be there.

rhubarb
11-12-2004, 08:51 AM
I just hope Coria re-injureshimslefsowedonot have to watch his boring *** play next year. He always seems to lose because of an injury.

2004 FrenchOpen
2004 Nasdaq
2004 Wimbledon ( I don't like playing on grass- I suck. AND THAT GOES FOR ALLTHE CLAY COURTERS!)
2003 Australian
ETC.

He does seem to get hurt a lot, it's true, although he was not injured in the Roland Garros final this year. Nalbandian and Ferrero are others that never seem to be clear of injury.

Free_Martha
11-12-2004, 09:30 AM
You're ****ed? Imagine how ****ed Andre Agassi must be right now after pulling out of Paris Masters in anticipation of Coria pulling out of Houston. :shock:

BiGGieStuFF
11-12-2004, 09:41 AM
You're ****ed? Imagine how ****ed Andre Agassi must be right now after pulling out of Paris Masters in anticipation of Coria pulling out of Houston. :shock: But I read Agassi pulled out due to a hip injury so he couldn't make it to either Paris OR the TMC

david aames
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Free Martha has a point. Agassi could have played Monaco if I remember well.

it also means we will get to see more of the other matches on ESPN. In a strange way, I'm glad he didn't make it to Houston.

Dedans Penthouse
11-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Free Martha has a point. Agassi could have played Monaco if I remember well.

it also means we will get to see more of the other matches on ESPN. In a strange way, I'm glad he didn't make it to Houston.

Andre's absence = more variety. I see what you mean. In lieu of no Andre this year......ESPN won't resort to showing repeats of Andre's matches LAST YEAR.......they won't, right???.....

drakulie
11-12-2004, 10:14 AM
rhubarb,Coria was injured in the Roland Garros Final! he could barely walk the last two sets. Or we he just faking it? Either way,he sucks!

Kevin Patrick
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
The masters cup is one event when espn does a good job, they show the match scheduled for that time period, regardless of nationality.

david aames
11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Hold on, he could DEFINITELY walk during that 5th. And probably during a good 2-3 games of the 4th : )

rhubarb,Coria was injured in the Roland Garros Final! he could barely walk the last two sets. Or we he just faking it? Either way,he sucks!

rhubarb
11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
He was so nervous / anxious that he got cramp. That doesn't amount to an injury.

pound cat
11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Gaudio and Coria didn't get along before RG. Can you imagine how he must have felt when Coria, after staggering around the court in set 4 had a miraclulous recovery to absolute normalcy. Sure must have been one sweet victory for Gaudio.

drakulie
11-12-2004, 02:45 PM
rhubarb, It does amount to an injury-albeit a mental one. Either way, my point is that he is soft-and he sucks. I am not looking forward to seeing him hobble around during the championships.