PDA

View Full Version : POG OS - Will low string tension cause trampoline effect?

netman
03-18-2004, 03:53 PM
A friend has asked me to restring his POG OS. It currently is strung really tight with Kevlar and is killing his elbow (what was the stringer thinking?). My plan was to restring with a soft 17 multi down near the low end of the tension range. Will this cause major trampolining? If so, what seems to be the best tension for arm relief while maintaining control on this frame?

Thanks
Ken

Kirko
03-18-2004, 04:08 PM
I would between 60 & 64 llbs. I hv. mine strung @ 64 lbs. nice response .

David Pavlich
03-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I would start at mid tension. Keep in mind that if you're going from Kevlar (appx. 3% elongation) to a 17 gauge multi (up to 12% elongation) the racquet will feel like a whole different animal.

The change will be quite drastic. When a customer asks to change tension, I always recommend that he or she do it in small stages, say 2 lbs. so as to not make a drastic change.

In your case, you're not only changing tension, you're changing string type. Make sure your customer is aware that the change will be quite dramatic so when he hits the court he doesn't come back and put knots on your head!

David

BHud
03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
I string mine @ 60 lbs. w/ Wilson NXT 16 Max. While all OS racquets tend to generate a few "surprises", the POG is really quite predictable...what a great racquet!!! :D

Jerry Seinfeld
03-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Ken,

I suspect he uses Kevlar because he is a frequent string breaker, not for the feel. Why else would anyone use that stuff?

I am guessing with the open string pattern and going to a multi you will be providing some elbow relief, but the strings will probably break quickly and you will have an unhappy customer.

I'd think differently. Softening the bed is the correct way to go. I woul go with a soft Poly in the mains like a Touch Turbo or Poly Polar. I'd start at 17 for extra playability and if they break too fast go to the 16. For the crosses I would use a softer solid core string instead of a multi...strictly for durability reasons. You could even go with a Bow brand gut cross if you wanted to provide some extra feel and pop.

Good luck!

netman
03-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I went back to him and found out he got the racquet from an ex-demo bin at his club. This probably explains the Kevlar. He is a beginner, so a string change won't destroy his game at this juncture. Good point though on the dramatic change in string characteristics, so I'll probably start out in the mid-tension range and see how it goes.

Ken