View Full Version : 2 short vids of me: Any advice appreciated

hyogen
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
YOUTUBE links added!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0BUUmf54Os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvivGGpT39U

http://www.dochyo.com/backhand%20sequence.JPG
Here is a screencapture of part of the first video. Hehehe

Any feedback, advice, observations are appreciated.

This is the beginnings of a new and improved me. Please watch it slow mo and stop motion and give me any feedback you can give me. Also, please assess from just looking at that video, what NTRP level you think I would be--just from that video!

I can't say this is the best I've hit, but it's some of the best form I've had I think.

Using a dunlop 200g 18x20 95...liked it a lot, but i couldn't do kick serves, volleys, or slice backhands hardly at all with it.

I think I'll stick to the FXP Prestige Team for now--maybe pick up the microgel prestige later when it comes out.

I can hit pretty good serves with it, pretty good groundies and volleys, and good slices and low shots with the FXP prestige team...so not my best racquet for each and every shot, but an overall winner for me so far.

Don't restrain yourself from calling me a noob.

If interested in seeing my return of serve clip: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1828049#post1828049

Also, Added a thread about my serve with screencaptures and youtube clips: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1811060#post1811060

hyogen
10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
...is 15mb too big for your high speed internets!? I wish I could access Youtube at work D:

lzclzclzc
10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
ooo nooo, please dont go to youtube.

lzclzclzc
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
nice backhands... i expected them to be a little longer than wat? 10 secs? but yea the quality is MUCHHH better than youtube

hyogen
10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
LOL...my STUPID new camera. I knew this before I bought it of course...but I settled for it because I liked every other feature about the camera besides the 10 second limit on high quality video.

the olympus stylus 790 SW (790sw). droppable from 5 feet (has a floating motherboard...), freezeproof, waterproof to 10 feet, and sand/dust proof.

What I really wanted was the Sony DSC-M1 or the M2 because they take MPEG4 videos....1GB = almost 1 hour of video...a really good quality compression that is awesome compared to this camera which is about 10 seconds for 15MB and Canons that have 10 seconds for 20MB...

I like the fact that even if the camera gets hit by a stray tennis ball while it's propped up on the ground or the bench it'll be okay ;)

hyogen
10-12-2007, 07:53 AM
anyone? D:

lkdog
10-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I mean no disrespect, but I think 15MB files may take a bit too long for most people from that link/server at least, and many people are not allowed to download such a large file on their work network.

I am sure it is quite good quality.

I attempted last night from home and it was taking quite awhile and I have pretty fast ISP (8MB download speed)

Maybe upload them in Blip TV or YouTube??

hyogen
10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
yeah I guess I should do that D:

No disrepect taken mate!

lkdog
10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
yeah I guess I should do that D:

No disrepect taken mate!

I will take a look at it at home at lunch or tonight. I was just being lazy last night and got distracted by my dog. :D

I am in charge of IT here at my company and we block downloads by all employees of large media files so can't do it here.

lkdog
10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Some quick feedback for now FWIW. For the record I am just a typical 4.0+ guy trying to learn and improve like everybody else here, but love to study stroke production.

On FH and BH video it appears you may be a bit late on both sides and end up arming the ball a bit rather than getting rotational power from weight shift by getting your contact point a bit further out. BH looked better than FH.
Nice looking BH really.

Try getting a little more shoulder turn and load your weight on your right foot a bit on the FH so you get more of the power from rotation as you swing forward.
It did look like you were returning serve so maybe it was just a hard serve and you were a little late. You tried to "save" the stroke by finishing on your right side to get more spin on it rather than a normal follow through. On hard serves we all have to shorten the backswing a bit and step in and use their pace.

On second video-your FH looked better. Better follow through and weight shift.
I like your serve. Looks like you probably get nice spin and your motion looks pretty smooth without hitches. Would have to see a few more of them to give any further comment on that. Looks basically sound.

Overall, you look like a 4.0 range type player depending upon other factors such as your volley technique, ability to change pace, hit targets, movement, approach shot execution, point construction, consistency. But without other info take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks for sharing.

hyogen
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I will take a look at it at home at lunch or tonight. I was just being lazy last night and got distracted by my dog. :D

I am in charge of IT here at my company and we block downloads by all employees of large media files so can't do it here.

Let me sell you some IT! I work for Zones (4th largest and fastest growing IT vendor) ;) We compete with companies like CDW, Insight, PC Mall, PC Connection, Dell, etc. I know I can save you money!!!!

hyogen
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Some quick feedback for now FWIW. For the record I am just a typical 4.0+ guy trying to learn and improve like everybody else here, but love to study stroke production.

On FH and BH video it appears you may be a bit late on both sides and end up arming the ball a bit rather than getting rotational power from weight shift by getting your contact point a bit further out. BH looked better than FH.
Nice looking BH really.

Try getting a little more shoulder turn and load your weight on your right foot a bit on the FH so you get more of the power from rotation as you swing forward.
It did look like you were returning serve so maybe it was just a hard serve and you were a little late. You tried to "save" the stroke by finishing on your right side to get more spin on it rather than a normal follow through. On hard serves we all have to shorten the backswing a bit and step in and use their pace.

On second video-your FH looked better. Better follow through and weight shift.
I like your serve. Looks like you probably get nice spin and your motion looks pretty smooth without hitches. Would have to see a few more of them to give any further comment on that. Looks basically sound.

Overall, you look like a 4.0 range type player depending upon other factors such as your volley technique, ability to change pace, hit targets, movement, approach shot execution, point construction, consistency. But without other info take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, thank you! For your take and your compliment. As for the first video, that forehand looked like it was incomplete because it was a return of serve. What can I do to improve that? Most of the time if the serve is fast enough I'm trying to get it back into the court with a decent shot.

My second backhand on the 1st vid was better for sure--more complete follow through.

I took screenshots and posted it on the original post ^^^^^^^

lkdog
10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Wow, thank you! For your take and your compliment. As for the first video, that forehand looked like it was incomplete because it was a return of serve. What can I do to improve that? Most of the time if the serve is fast enough I'm trying to get it back into the court with a decent shot.

Yeah, it looked like a return of serve. One drill that is pretty fun and really helps with making sure you take a compact shoulder turn and backswing and hit the ball with a weight shift forward is to have someone hit serves to you from the other service line. Makes you split step and commit earlier and helps you make sure you get your weight shifted quickly.

Actually, I did not see a split step. This unweighting move where you land on the balls of your feet ready to pounce allows you to break and turn either way quicker (same thing when you recover in a baseline rally, serve and volley, or when you hit an approach and volley). You may need to observe if you use it as it is a basic footwork requirement at higher levels.

You were flat footed which makes the turning of the body slower and everything can get late. Actually watch some pro players on return of serve, or recovery on baseline rallies, serve and volley, or approach shots-split steps every time.

Good luck. You have a lot of untapped power there in your groundstrokes.
You might take a look at the Fuzzy Yellow Balls site, Tennis One, or the Hi Tech Tennis site for more specifics on your footwork and weight loading and rotational power. On your BH-the basics already are pretty solid.
If I played you I would stay away from that side. ;)

hyogen
10-13-2007, 01:08 AM

Yeah, it looked like a return of serve. One drill that is pretty fun and really helps with making sure you take a compact shoulder turn and backswing and hit the ball with a weight shift forward is to have someone hit serves to you from the other service line. Makes you split step and commit earlier and helps you make sure you get your weight shifted quickly.

Actually, I did not see a split step. This unweighting move where you land on the balls of your feet ready to pounce allows you to break and turn either way quicker (same thing when you recover in a baseline rally, serve and volley, or when you hit an approach and volley). You may need to observe if you use it as it is a basic footwork requirement at higher levels.

You were flat footed which makes the turning of the body slower and everything can get late. Actually watch some pro players on return of serve, or recovery on baseline rallies, serve and volley, or approach shots-split steps every time.

Good luck. You have a lot of untapped power there in your groundstrokes.
You might take a look at the Fuzzy Yellow Balls site, Tennis One, or the Hi Tech Tennis site for more specifics on your footwork and weight loading and rotational power. On your BH-the basics already are pretty solid.
If I played you I would stay away from that side. ;)

thanks again. I added youtube clips btw.

as for the split-stepping--Yes, i definitely could use that--it takes a conscientious effort for me to do it. For my serve, i'm trying to work on a more flat first serve. and tossing it out more in front of me so i can pound on it and then explode into the court (although I'm mostly a baseliner)

hyogen
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161875

I just posted some pics of my serve. any advice would be awesome--trying to explode more into the court.

I'll shoot a video of my groundstroke rallies or some actual points and try to post that on youtube shortly.

shintan17
10-15-2007, 04:04 PM
It's hard to tell anything from the short videos, but your BH looked solid. If you can improve your footworks (a lot better than mine, though!!), and probably serving techniques (making a better trophy pose?), you can be a good player soon! :)

How long have you been playing? I am just guessing you are somewhere around average 3.5, but you have lots of good foundations to build with. Keep working!! :)

hyogen
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
check out my serve on the reply I posted just before yours. Yeah I gotta work on my fitness a lot (need to lose like 35-40 lbs)...and that should help with footwork.

what do you mean trophy pose?

sapient007
10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
arming the ball on the FH and take back a little too short for the BH. good following through on the BH and both can be helped if you prepare a little earlier.. my 2 cents

shintan17
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
check out my serve on the reply I posted just before yours. Yeah I gotta work on my fitness a lot (need to lose like 35-40 lbs)...and that should help with footwork.

what do you mean trophy pose?

Your tossing arm needs to be straight up like you are lifting up the trophy. Easier said than done, though...I have a hard time doing it because of my chronic shoulder problems, and my body is beaten up everywhere by playing too much tennis (never too much for me, but I know I should rest) during the summer.

I am about 5'10", and used to weight around 210 about four months ago, and now I am down to 185-190. Still heavy, but getting there. All I did was cutting down some carbohydrates (mostly rice), and playing tennis 5-6 days a week under the brutal heat and sweat.

hyogen
10-15-2007, 11:24 PM
yeah, if you look at my other thread (link is on the original post) I have screen captures of my serves.

someone else pointed out I should leave my tossing arm straight up instead of bringing it down. this will give me more coil/cocking...to be able to explode the energy forward/upward :o

yeah i know what you mean... 185-190 NICE. I never got over 200 but I got pretty dang close... I'm about 190 or so now...I know I need to lose at least 25 lbs--preferably 40 and then build muscle from there.

hyogen
10-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I added a couple clips of my returns of serve--forehand and backhand:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163183