PDA

View Full Version : Need help with serve

rightytopspin79
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I've been playing for 3 1/2 yrs and I've been able develop my forehand and 2hbh, but I still haven't been able to develop a dependable serve. I sick of losing to my friends due to service errors. Are there some drills that can help. I know my tosses are crap but I also have a hard time with trunk rotation. Can someone help?:confused:

cliff
10-11-2007, 02:27 PM
The ball toss is key, without a reliable ball toss the serve is difficult to improve. One piece of advice is to keep you tossing arm staight and hold the ball in your finger tips. As you extend the arm from the shoulder open your finger tips and let the ball come out naturally.
Have a look at some good examples at www.procomparetennis.net, there are hundreds of serving examples of the worlds best players, all for free

vndesu
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
it all depends on the ball toss
also it would help to throw it out a little to get the forward motion going then yu would go into a jumping forward motion.
also it depends on what serve yu wanna do
like flat slice or kick

dunlopfan
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
For me, I just have to remember to hit the ball when my arm is fully extended so I can get that snap.

ananda
10-13-2007, 10:08 PM
besides procomparetennis.net, someone suggested fuzzyyellowballs.com and i was studying the serve instructions there. seems good.
anyone have feedback on that site particularly the serve videos. i intend following that, unless people express reservations.
I have a decent serve at present, but this weeks target is to get the knee-bend and trophy position thing going.

Someone here had mentioned that weight should be on front foot when tossing, wheres fuzzy says back foot.

To OP, there are many other gr8 threads on serve, pls check them, many have provided feedback. some drills were suggested in a thread called "drills for serve acceleration"
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=158905