PDA

View Full Version : more power or less power?

fuzzfactory
10-11-2007, 05:02 PM
hello guys, ive been at these forums a lot but havent gotten around to posting. anyway, i was wondering if i should switch to a higher powered string/less tension or to a lower powered string/more tension, since i do not know if i hit too hard to too soft.. here's the predicament:

on most of my shots, i usually swing as hard as i can, and when i hit it right the ball goes off with good pace but it bounces within my opponent's service box... which is too short. however, when i try to aim deeper, the ball just goes barely out. i want to hit it so the ball bounces beyond the service box line WITH good pace..

is this because my string is too weak or too strong? i know with better technique i could do what i want, but if i could restring my racket at a better tension to aid me, then i want to do so. i'm a ~4.5 NTRP player and currently use a PDC with NXT tour strung @ 62 lbs.

thanks for any help!

Stchamps
10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Do you swing flat or put a lot of topspin on your shots?

bagung
10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
aim deeper and put more spin....

bagung
10-11-2007, 08:01 PM
other things you can do is to lower the tensions..

Valjean
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
hello guys, ive been at these forums a lot but havent gotten around to posting. anyway, i was wondering if i should switch to a higher powered string/less tension or to a lower powered string/more tension, since i do not know if i hit too hard to too soft.. here's the predicament:

on most of my shots, i usually swing as hard as i can, and when i hit it right the ball goes off with good pace but it bounces within my opponent's service box... which is too short. however, when i try to aim deeper, the ball just goes barely out. i want to hit it so the ball bounces beyond the service box line WITH good pace..

is this because my string is too weak or too strong? i know with better technique i could do what i want, but if i could restring my racket at a better tension to aid me, then i want to do so. i'm a ~4.5 NTRP player and currently use a PDC with NXT tour strung @ 62 lbs.

thanks for any help!
How do you claim a 4.5 rating then?

daddy.dirtsurfer
10-11-2007, 08:39 PM
How do you claim a 4.5 rating then?

good question though.

fuzzfactory
10-11-2007, 09:02 PM
sorry i don't know how to quote, but i play in 4.0-4.5 USTA tourneys and i fare well. its not like i hit every ball long, i just think i COULD error less.

i hit with moderate spin id say. so with the advice so far, i should try a lesser tension?

tbini87
10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
you can lower the tension in small increments, to make sure you don't start losing too much control. nxt should have a good amount of power, so i don't think you need to change strings. hit with more topspin to keep it in the court.

keithchircop
10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
i usually swing as hard as i can, and when i hit it right the ball goes off with good pace but it bounces within my opponent's service box...which is too short.

You're aiming too low (barely clearing the net if you're hitting flat). Possibly putting an unwanted amount of topspin on the ball.

however, when i try to aim deeper, the ball just goes barely out.

Well i guess that then you're aiming too high.

When I was a beginner I used to say "When I'm running after the ball, the court is too big. When I'm hitting the ball, the court is too small."

No offence, but at your level you should know how to control the ball better.

fuzzfactory
10-12-2007, 02:16 AM
No offence, but at your level you should know how to control the ball better.

maybe im really a 2.5 then :confused: ? no really though, i just wanted what string setups might help me a little. i dont really have big issues on mishitting the ball etc, but i just listed some of the things i sometimes do so you guys would have a better idea of what i was looking for... but i guess some of you took it as a desperate call for help lol

but yeah, ill try slightly lowering my tension, thanks!

Lloyd Barcenilla
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Why do people go for low powered strings?

if strings are too powerful, hit with more topspin right?

neverstopplaying
10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
maybe im really a 2.5 then :confused: ? no really though, i just wanted what string setups might help me a little. i dont really have big issues on mishitting the ball etc, but i just listed some of the things i sometimes do so you guys would have a better idea of what i was looking for... but i guess some of you took it as a desperate call for help lol

but yeah, ill try slightly lowering my tension, thanks!

There are so many factors that could be causing your problems. I don't know your budget, but the best starting point is taking some lessons, if you can afford to do so. If you're serious about tennis, at least you'll be able to isolate and resolve any technique problems.

If it is in fact a string/tension problem, I'm a convert to polys in the mains. I also had a problem keeping balls in before adopting poly.

keithchircop
10-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Why do people go for low powered strings?

if strings are too powerful, hit with more topspin right?

You can't hit all out with a 100sq in racquet strung with natural gut and keep it in with topspin. With poly and other lower powered strings you can.

Besides, even if it were possible, going for more topspin on every single shot makes you a one-dimensional player, a topspin monkey. It's good to be able to vary your strokes, mix it up.

"if strings are too powerful, hit with less power"

Now that would make more sense.

gerikoh
10-12-2007, 11:50 PM
raise the tension. i don't know about the pdc but my guess is add a little spin when you're gonna go for long shots from the baseline and simply make it as flat as possible when the ball is shoulder high especially when you're near the net. and make sure you'll have a lot of time when executing your backswing. but sometimes, the critical moment comes within your wrist and the point of impact so my best advice is just to feel your racquet. :)