PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Strings - Confessions from an Addict

TW Staff
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/LC/Strings/polyaddiction.html

Chris, TW.

samster
10-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks Chris, I just strung my Aero Pro Drive Cortex with TCS 17 and am ready to take it out for a hit tomorrow. I tried Polyfibre Hi Tech Premium but my elbow didn't like it too much. I did enjoy the tremendous spin and control with the Hi Tech Premium, though. As you mentioned, the spin is just so much more compared with multi's or gut.

tenniskid3119
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
nice. very entertaining. Thats how I felt with my first poly.

-Kap-
10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Nice post, Chris. I'm actually on my first poly string, and I've noticed a world of difference. Before, I had a tendency to hit long, but now, I can really drive into the ball (the most satisfying shot for me), keeping it deep, fast, and most importantly, in! Heh. I'm also getting more spin, and find that my Eastern grip has gravitated closer to semi-Western to accentuate it. As far as control goes, let's just say that I'm hitting short angles, deep corners, and kissing the lines with a new-found confidence. I'm still a little leery, having read a lot of posts here about people who've developed arm pain with poly, but as long as I'm pain-free, I'm hooked.

robkat
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice Post.. enjoyable to read, very well written.

shojun25
10-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Well written. Also a great quick-review of a couple of polyester strings.

Yonex.
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Chris, you that guy on the vlog episodes?

armand
10-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Too bad there isn't much mention of what gauges were used because I find the diameter makes a huge difference in poly's, unlike other strings. Many times they shouldn't even be called the same string, in my opinion.
Sounds like that Competition was the 1.28mm and the mention that sppp was softer sounds like the sppp was 1.23.

tbini87
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
gauge seems to make a good difference to me as well. but i also love poly. i usually hybrid it though, but will be trying full poly setups for the next few months and see if i can find something not to expensive that i like. don't know that i will ever want to go back to anything other than poly, unless my arm tells me to haha.

ohplease
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/LC/Strings/polyaddiction.html

Chris, TW.

Nice article.

BTW - didn't you have some elbow or wrist trouble back in the day? How'd you get over it? And what kind of tensions are you using on your poly nowadays?

Kcraig
10-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Nice article.

BTW - didn't you have some elbow or wrist trouble back in the day? How'd you get over it? And what kind of tensions are you using on your poly nowadays?

Same questions as above as to tensions--nice article and I have been having a similar experience with trying polys out--so much control and spin--let's you really "freewheel" out there--you know it is going to go in!! Like being in a constant ZONE.:p

TW Staff
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, that's me in the vlogs.

I've used everything from 18 through 15 gauge poly strings. My go to string right now is Polyfibre TCS 16. It is pretty lively for a co-poly - too lively for me in a 17g.

I string @ 62lbs in a Pure Drive Roddick.

My elbow issue was an injury to my triceps tendon. My switch to a more powerful racquet has helped in this department greatly - less stress to the tendon on serves etc. The poly lets me get away with all that power off the ground.

Chris, TW.

Kcraig
10-12-2007, 11:39 AM

I've used everything from 18 through 15 gauge poly strings. My go to string right now is Polyfibre TCS 16. It is pretty lively for a co-poly - too lively for me in a 17g.

My elbow issue was an injury to my triceps tendon. My switch to a more powerful racquet has helped in this department greatly - less stress to the tendon on serves etc. The poly lets me get away with all that power off the ground.

Chris, TW.

62#?? It's not too tight/stiff? What was your normal tension with a synthetic gut or multi string??

volusiano
10-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm still a little leery, having read a lot of posts here about people who've developed arm pain with poly, but as long as I'm pain-free, I'm hooked.

I had TE before and switched to a heavier, headlight racket, which seems to help. Then I tried out polys (SPPP, Cyberflash, WeissCannon Match Power) and TE hasn't come back.

smirker
10-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Chris, TW.
Hi Chris,
Nice review. Did you have any experience volleying with that set-up and if so how did you find it?

Attila the tennis Bum
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi Chris,

I have a question. Do really find tension loss in polys from 2-4 weeks? I don't really think thats true in my case....but on the other hand I rotate between four different racquets.

The question I guess is should I change strings every 2 weeks - 1 month???

jmverdugo
10-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I really like to hit with synth gut, i strung it at medium high tension and works really good. But there is something on poly that makes it really good. For one is the sound, it is really amazing, the sound when you hit with your full swing and in flat serves makes you fell like a pro. But what is really amazing is how my shots comes out from the string bed. When i use synth gut my shots are loopy long shots that are actually good but when i hit with poly my shot are a bit flatter (flat trajectory sp?) and shorter but they just jump so nice and fast after bounce that sometimes i loose the point because i kept staring my shots (stupid ah?). Also i am person that thinks that can adapt my self to any gear, but there are some things that, for much that a i wouldnt want to admit, i cant do right without poly: bh slices and kick serves. So bottom line, im a poly addict to.

saram
10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Sweet. What a sweet read!

-Kap-
10-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I had TE before and switched to a heavier, headlight racket, which seems to help. Then I tried out polys (SPPP, Cyberflash, WeissCannon Match Power) and TE hasn't come back.
Thanks for the feedback, volusiano. I've never had TE, and I'm trying to keep it that way, so I've also recently switched to a heavier (12 oz), head light racquet, and I'll be restringing with another soft poly when mine's shot.

The question I guess is should I change strings every 2 weeks - 1 month???
I've been hunting for a general consensus on that, too, Attila, and started this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161432) which may be worth watching if it gets a lot of replies.

thundaga
10-12-2007, 04:38 PM
thats a good read. mmm since i switched to polys i havent looked back. absolutely love the crispness.

LES
10-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I've been hunting for a general consensus on that, too, Attila, and started this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161432) which may be worth watching if it gets a lot of replies.

YMMV I think it depends the individual & the string in question. I started cutting out my strings once they start feeling less than optimum because I want to try a lot of different strings. :mrgreen:

Also I hybrid with my own machine so it only costs about $5 each stringjob. If it was more expensive I don't think I'd be as cutting them out so soon. For me I play about 6-10 hours a week so 20 hours is good mileage.

Kcraig
11-26-2007, 07:37 AM

Chris, TW.

How has your expereince been with the tension maintence with the TCS? Several on the boards have stated it is great for 2-4 hrs and then pretty much unplayable? Are you still playing the TCS?? Thanks for your input-:)

TW Staff
11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry for the late response. It has been awhile since I checked back in on this thread.

I have had lots of experience volleying with this set-up and have used it in three doubles tournaments. I’m still enjoying the response of the string. The softer response is more forgiving when reaction volleys are caught off center (speaking in terms of polys only here, not multis or gut etc). I like the pop and spin I find from all areas of the court, but mostly on groundstrokes and serves.

I should also add my racquets are weighted to 12.6 ounces with a swingweight of 336 for all three - so mostly lead in the handle with a tad at 3 & 9 on two of them. I also have leather grips (TW 1.5/25mm) and an overgrip (varies). One racquet has no weight at 3&9 due to it being the target swingweight after weight was added to the handle - the other two spec’d out on the lighter side when stock.

I try everything at 62lbs first, then adjust from there - that way I only have one variable which is string type. I may go up to 66lbs with a gut or powerful multi if I struggle with my usual tension.

I cut out my strings after two weeks, max maybe sooner as I’m always testing new stuff. With the TCS, I string it up fresh for a tourney on the Friday, play Saturday and Sunday then maybe cut it out Monday. Will string again for longer events. Tension loss is the reason. The TCS is lively to begin with so string it up. I’ve only had one issue with the ball flying on me, but it was mostly due to my opponent serving bombs. Fortunately, I had a racquet with a test set of ISOSPEED Baseline poly in a 15L - that pretty much eliminated any power whatsoever and I was good to go.

I think I covered everything and apologize if I didn’t.

Cheers,
Chris, TW.