PDA

View Full Version : Lower Tensions

MTXR
10-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I have noticed over the past year or so, every time i string up a racket, at the upper level of the recommended tension on my PS85s that i actually lose control and don't play that good. I tend to hit long and all over the place.

Once the strings loose lots of tension i seem to find myself with more control.

I am going to assume that i am stringing to high for myself. Does this mean that lower string tensions really provide more control or is there something else in the equation?

-M

welcome2petrkordaland
10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
if you hit with extreme spin(i'm talkin' 'bout top, not slice) and use a poly, having a lower tension like 50-53 will provide more biting/cupping of the ball, and thus more control. so the old rule of HIGHER TENSION=MORE CONTROL &
LOWER TENSION=MORE POWER does not always hold true.

my balls flew when i used to use luxilon bb alu rough at 58, 59 and 60, but now that i've gone down to 53, it's unreal the difference!

Gmedlo
10-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Take your racquet and string it really low. I mean really really reeeeaaally low. Like, 25 pounds or lower. It will completely change your opinion on how tension effects control.

(i.e. a full half second that the ball is on your stringbed.)

mucat
10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
When they say "Lower tension for power; Higher tension for control". It usually means within YOUR TENSION RANGE. Once you found your range, you can tune the tension within the range.

If you strung the racket too high out of your range. Usually your wrist and arm will starting to become unstable during contact, resulting uncontrollable shot, or controllable but shot ball.

budkid
10-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Well after a few years of tennis, I finally met someone with great advice. I met a USRSA Master racket technician in a small tennis shop near my vacation home. He explained to me that lower tensions should be the way to go. Then he explained the whole ball cupping effect and how you would get more power and you would have to get used to controlling the ball with that lower tension. I used to play with syn gut at 62 on my Microgel Rad Pro. How he got me hooked on Poly at 55. He suggested to me start at 55lbs and work down. Also with a little help of his lead tape placement, I could say that my racket feels more stable and solid compared to the original specs.

nickarnold2000
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm down to high 40s using cyberflash on a RDS 001 mid 90 and really like the extra spin that I get. If I went back to syn gut all the balls would probably hit the fence! Fed also uses about the same tension depending on weather and surface

tbini87
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
i had some problems with stringing high also. i decided to string a poly syn gut hybrid at 50lbs just to see what it was like, and ended up really liking it. i agree there is more cupping and it just felt a lot better to me. now i string in the low 50s on racquets with 95-100 sq in. heads. did not lose much control at all like others talk about. i also think that you can a lot lower with poly and not lose control compared to a multi or syn gut. i would imagine that those would get pretty powerful at really low tensions.

MTXR
10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Definitely going to be going down in tension.

Blade0324
10-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I have found the same thing as many here have already said. I used to use Poly/Gut hybrids at 58 or 59 mains with Poly and 60 or 61 crosses with Gut. Then I had a frame that I tried Gut Mains and Poly crosses with. When the poly started to feel too soft i decided to cut it out and put Gut in the crosses too. I figured that the mains had lost some tension so I went with 53 on the crosses. WOW what a nice feel. Since then I have lowered my tensions to about 50 most of the time and have found much greater power while also finding great control.

-Kap-
10-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Hmm, this thread's making me reevaluate what I thought I knew about string tension. I think I'll be aiming lower now when it's time to restring.

lilxjohnyy
10-12-2007, 05:39 PM
hmmm i string cyberflash at 60 and gosen at 63 but i like it ....

Burt Turkoglu
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
if you hit with extreme spin(i'm talkin' 'bout top, not slice) and use a poly, having a lower tension like 50-53 will provide more biting/cupping of the ball, and thus more control. so the old rule of HIGHER TENSION=MORE CONTROL &
LOWER TENSION=MORE POWER does not always hold true.

my balls flew when i used to use luxilon bb alu rough at 58, 59 and 60, but now that i've gone down to 53, it's unreal the difference!

same exact experience I had.....cept I went down into the 40's with the poly.....more power and control for me....