PDA

View Full Version : Poly tension... how long does yours last?

-Kap-
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
What string do you use, and how many weeks or sessions does it last before it loses enough tension to make it unplayable?

Discuss! ;)

ClayisFun
10-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I use weisscannon silverstring 1.25mm and it holds tension really well. I can get a good 20 hours out of it before any noticeable drop in performance. After that I lost some pop, nothing horrible, but if I had nothing buy money to buy strings I would restring.

volusiano
10-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I've used WeissCannon MatchPower, SPPP, and Topspin Cyberflash on a number of my rackets and they can easily last 50 hours at least, and some are still holding up well nearing 100 hours right now. The tension loss is very slow and gradual. Maybe 10% after about 20-30 hours, but definitely remains at 90% for a long while after that. I track tension loss with an ERT300 meter, with measurements every couple of hitting sessions or so.

jasoncho92
10-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I usually break it before it gets unplayable but for the times it doesnt, usually 3 weeks

O and this was with super smash

ananda
10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
i used a wilson polylast mono 16 gauge @61lbs for a month and then changed.
i play 6 days a week, 90-120 minutes, mostly hard hitting.
i will probably change every month. can't afford more regular restringings.

tenniskid3119
10-14-2007, 12:47 PM
topspin cyberflash, I just restring when it breaks. my parents are cheap and won't let me get a stringer. they dont understand...

J011yroger
10-14-2007, 01:21 PM
ALU Rough, it is godly for the first hour, okish for the second, and if I don't break it within the 2 hours it is junk.

ALU notches approx 1/2 way and from that point on it can break at any time sometimes it hangs in there a while, sometimes it snaps, but with a good partner/hitting session I'll break it under 2 hours.

J

fastdunn
10-14-2007, 02:40 PM
topspin cyberflash, I just restring when it breaks. my parents are cheap and won't let me get a stringer. they dont understand...

Bring your parents to a table and show the math to them.
Also show them how you can even make money from it.
They might fork a grant for you.

Hooooon
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
ALU Rough, it is godly for the first hour, okish for the second, and if I don't break it within the 2 hours it is junk.

ALU notches approx 1/2 way and from that point on it can break at any time sometimes it hangs in there a while, sometimes it snaps, but with a good partner/hitting session I'll break it under 2 hours.

J

Are you an ATP player who changes racquets every ball change? Otherwise why would you play with string that gives you 1 good hour? Anything else give you longer playability? Thanks if you respond, it would be nice to hear from someone who actually should be using poly... Half the people on here say a set of strings lasts them months playing daily, they are morons for using poly.

Pusher
10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Are you an ATP player who changes racquets every ball change? Otherwise why would you play with string that gives you 1 good hour? Anything else give you longer playability? Thanks if you respond, it would be nice to hear from someone who actually should be using poly... Half the people on here say a set of strings lasts them months playing daily, they are morons for using poly.

Playing at a high level against good opponents will cause poly to break in 2 hours or less. Not ATP players but good players at 5.0 or above or college level. Synthetic gut will last maybe 45 minutes for those people. Really, anybody getting 10-30 hours from a poly probably needs to be using synthetic gut. Thats just my opinion.

hjminard
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Half the people on here say a set of strings lasts them months playing daily, they are morons for using poly.

Well that's a little harsh. Perhaps they like the feel or spin potential or some other characteristic of poly ...

haerdalis
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Well I dont break it in 2 hours, I get maybe 10 hours out of a full SPPP 1.23 or CF 1.25. But I prefer the kevlar/poly hybrid which actually plays better and better and is at its best just before it breaks.

J011yroger
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM

For tournament play I usually use a new racquet every set, then burn them up the rest of the way in practice. I break most normal (Non poly/Kevlar)strings in under an hour, as well as most thinner polys.

Most racquets I have ever dropped off for stringing at once was 10.

I really like the ALU, so am not too keen on investigating alternatives.

J

J011yroger
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Playing at a high level against good opponents will cause poly to break in 2 hours or less. Not ATP players but good players at 5.0 or above or college level. Synthetic gut will last maybe 45 minutes for those people. Really, anybody getting 10-30 hours from a poly probably needs to be using synthetic gut. Thats just my opinion.

I concur on both counts.

J

J011yroger
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Well that's a little harsh. Perhaps they like the feel or spin potential or some other characteristic of poly ...

Ya but once it goes dead you lose the nasty bite, and whatever pop the string actually had. It plays like the worst string on the planet, no bite, no pop, no nothing.

I would be willing to bet if you injected them with truth syrum, or they really did some soul searching, that 90% of players that use polys for "Months" and say they love how they play either are 1. outright lying, 2. In denial/delusional 3. just not good enough to tell the difference. Most of them are just using them because the pros do, or because they complain to their stringer that they are breaking too many strings and want something more durable, so the stringer gives them poly instead of telling them to suck it up and pay.

J

Pusher
10-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Well, there's a long thread on why people use polys so I guess there are many reasons. My son will play D-1 tennis next year and I string his frames with poly just so he will get thru one match (or sometimes one set). Synthetic gut will last him about 45 minutes but for those 45 minutes the syngut will play as well or better than poly. With syngut the ball has more action and more speed and he doesn't have a problem with control. But I suppose everyone is differernt but sometimes I think some people use poly because it is the current fad.

Hooooon
10-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Any spin potential/power a poly advertises is relative to other polys. Unless you use 18g or thinner, or a hexagonal/etc string, no poly can touch an average syngut for any measure of playability.

Hooooon
10-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Best of luck to your son. I do, however, think some of your opinions come from the fact that the Southeastern US is now by far the country's best tennis. In California (and I'm guessing the northeast also, forgive me if I'm wrong JO11) top tennis players do not train hard enough or develop athletically until college, if that. SoCal junior tennis was the best just 10 years ago, but academies, marketing, etc. here have not kept up with the sport. Sorry to ramble, but I have the feeling that at 6 ft 1, 170, I wouldn't be an imposing physical player in an open tourney in GA/LA/FL like I am here. Anyways, I'm a former D-1 partial scholarship player and don't mind that poly lasts me 4 hours! If you read this whole post I'm sorry to waste your time, but it's the truth damnit!

J011yroger
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Any spin potential/power a poly advertises is relative to other polys. Unless you use 18g or thinner, or a hexagonal/etc string, no poly can touch an average syngut for any measure of playability.

Are you a pretty flat hitter?

There is a certain racquethead speed at which poly eclipses syn gut as far as keeping the ball in the court with spin is concerned. I can tell almost exactly where it is in my own game, and it is at about 70-75%.

Poly is NOT, powerful, and does NOT add power to your game. It LETS you hit the ball harder and keep it in. If you don't have surplus power then poly wont help you.

J

J011yroger
10-16-2007, 08:45 PM
(and I'm guessing the northeast also, forgive me if I'm wrong JO11)

Our top players are VERY good, but we lack the depth of the south.

J

Pusher
10-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Best of luck to your son. I do, however, think some of your opinions come from the fact that the Southeastern US is now by far the country's best tennis. In California (and I'm guessing the northeast also, forgive me if I'm wrong JO11) top tennis players do not train hard enough or develop athletically until college, if that. SoCal junior tennis was the best just 10 years ago, but academies, marketing, etc. here have not kept up with the sport. Sorry to ramble, but I have the feeling that at 6 ft 1, 170, I wouldn't be an imposing physical player in an open tourney in GA/LA/FL like I am here. Anyways, I'm a former D-1 partial scholarship player and don't mind that poly lasts me 4 hours! If you read this whole post I'm sorry to waste your time, but it's the truth damnit!

I can't comment on the relative strengths of various regions. My son has never played outside of the south but there are a good many players from the NE and the mid-west that come in to play the more popular tournaments. I have noticed that some of those players are seeded but generally don't get thru the first couple of rounds. I think the weather has a lot to do with it as it may affect practice times, etc. The kids down here play outdoors year round and so they kind of get used to playing in the heat and wind, etc.

You wouldn't physically intimidate anyone but most of the kids I see aren't the type to get intimidated by an opponent's size. I do notice that the bigger kids are more the late-bloomer types with big upsides while the smaller kids seem to reach their potential earlier-thats a generalization.

But back to polys. How long a poly may last is not necessarily an indication of how good one may be. But I'll stick to my statement that if polys are lasting a player 10-30 hours then they need to hit syngut.

cknobman
10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
The tension loss on my Babolat Pro Hurrican Tour 16 was definatley noticable after about 2 weeks(4 matches). But now that the tension has loosened up I prefer it this way. Poly lacks power by nature so the looser tension helps bring some power back into my game. Ive been playing with the same string job now for about 2 months and feel that it is finally getting a little to loose. Probably will get my racquet restrung in the next week or so.