PDA

View Full Version : Where to stand when hitting groundstrokes

raiden031
10-12-2007, 01:53 PM
When I watch advanced players practice groundstrokes, they are often standing several feet behind the baseline. Am I correct in this observation? I am wondering if this is because when hitting the ball deep to each other with alot of pace, they would start mishitting if they were standing on the baseline because the ball would bounce right near their feet?

I follow this idea of standing several feet back because I feel it is easier to sustain a high speed rally, but notice that most of my opponents do not do this. I usually feel like I'm hitting better than my opponents during groundstroke practice, regardless of who is the better player during match play. So I'm wondering if my opponents stood farther back, would we be able to have better rallies during practice? If so, would you suggest to an opponent that they stand farther back?

Bagumbawalla
10-12-2007, 04:55 PM
When the pros are practicing, in the way you have described, they are concentrating on hitting deep balls with plenty of pace thit will "pin" an opponent behind the baseline while thy wait for a shorter ball so they can step in and make a placement.

If this is the way both you and your partner hit the ball, as well, then-- unless you are a Federer or Agassi-- you will find yourselves behind the baseline, as well.

If, on the other hand, your balls are not consistantly landing deep and hard- some are midcourt, some here, some there-- then, obviously, you will have to move around- move up, move back as the case may be depending on the placement, spin and speed of the ball.

As a rule of thumb, I would say that a player should try to hit from a position as near toward the net as possible, as long as they can do so consistantly and comfortably.

Mahboob Khan
10-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Depend on the depth of the ball.

If your shots are deep, your opponent will be forced to stay behind the baseline, in this case you might be on it. The more you drive them back and deep, the more you should be in.

If your shots are short, your opponents will hit deep balls forcing you to be behind the baseline.

The Pros know each other; they know that they are competent to hit deep shots that's why they stand behind the baseline. However, if the ball is short, they then close in. They move with the depth of the ball!

Rui
10-13-2007, 09:06 PM
would you suggest to an opponent that they stand farther back?

If you want your opponent to improve, then yes.