PDA

View Full Version : Calling NoBadMojo

jm4121
10-12-2007, 06:38 PM
NBMJ,

Please contact me, I have a specific Legend/Iso Pro question for you.

Thanks in advance.

jm4121
moore_jl@msn.com

NoBadMojo
10-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Hi there. Pls ask your question here. thanks

jm4121
10-13-2007, 06:04 AM
NBMJ,

Like many other forumites, I am interested in trying your Gut/Iso Pro set up. I want to try it in my Redodno Mids. I am having a hard time deciding between 17/18 g for the gut mains. I found that 18 g synthetic strings perform more to my liking in this frame, but am not experienced with gut.

Being a dense pattern mid, what gauge and tension(s) would you recommend (I typically string synthetics between 60-62)?

Thanks.

NoBadMojo
10-13-2007, 07:27 AM
NBMJ,

Like many other forumites, I am interested in trying your Gut/Iso Pro set up. I want to try it in my Redodno Mids. I am having a hard time deciding between 17/18 g for the gut mains. I found that 18 g synthetic strings perform more to my liking in this frame, but am not experienced with gut.

Being a dense pattern mid, what gauge and tension(s) would you recommend (I typically string synthetics between 60-62)?

Thanks.

Hi, this would be a guess because I've never hit the Redondo. I would go with the 17g Legend to start unless you want something low powered with some extra bite. cant help you on the tension as I dont know which synthetic you are using. In any case, it will likely take you at least two stringjobs to get everything right for you.

NoBadMojo
10-13-2007, 10:53 AM
NBMJ,

Thanks.

as an adjunct, i assumed you were using legend gut. if you are using another brand of gut you may be fine with 18g but you will get a diff ball feel and response than the Mojo setup, I suspect with another gut, the ball feel will be a little vague and the stringbed more jumpy with the other parameters remaining the same. There is a thread on this page of the string section which is about legend 17 and 18g strings which you can peruse if you want to slosh your way through the whack.

gjoc
10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
cant help you on the tension as I dont know which synthetic you are using.

Looks like he’s using “PSGD 18” (according to his sig-line).

NoBadMojo
10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like he’s using “PSGD 18” (according to his sig-line).

duh! not very observant of me. so he likes a crisper lower powered sort of string in a thin gauge.

in this case, i say give the legend18 a shot w. the iso pro crosses..he's still likely to break the crosses first..

the tension is going to be a real guess. suggest with the extra spin he will likely get, he can string a bit lower and take advantage of some extra power, plus the legend18 is a lower powered gut. lower than the 17 for sure.

so my pure guess at tension based on him being at 60 w. PSGD would be go around 57m's and 62x's. iso suggest stringing 10% higher (the tension quickly dumps the 10% and then stabilizes). no prestretch on the iso as it comes prestretched and only a very gentle prestretch on the legend18 as that string is very crisp and can become boardy with any sort of serious prestretch and/or tight tension

also, the poster bagung has a lot of experiences with all kinds of gut strings and isopro crosses and maybe he will pass along his suggestions

good luck and let us know how this works for you if you like

bagung
10-13-2007, 03:07 PM
regarding MOJO's set up, with the legend 17g/iso is the best set up i ever tried. as NBMJ said, changing to other brand and type of gut on main , will give you different feel than the original MOJO's set up....
found using VS team, bde, tonic will makes it more jummpy than the origianal..
if you prefer more control and crisp, you can try the armourpro...
18g legend will give you, lower in power, crisp, and more spin....

jm4121
10-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies NBMJ and others!!

I was leaning toward 17g Legend, but I reently switched to 18g PSGD from 17g PSGD and am loving the "subtle" differences. I researched some posts by Bagung and the Legend 17/18g thread - thanks for pointing me that way. Per those threads it sounds like 18g Legend may have more of a Duraflex feel to it, as compared to 17g Legend.

I love the Redondo Mid and it suits my game. My goal is to not lose the feel/control/confidence i currently have, while adding some pop to my volleys and some more pop/spin to my serves (in addition to improving techinque). FYI - I am a 4.0 and provide most of my own power and am not too worried about breaking strings (dense pattern with flatter groundstrokes). If you feel that it will take at least two stringjobs to get it right, I may try 17g Legend in one frame, and 18g in another. NBMJ, how much would you increase tension for 17g Legend as opposed to 18g? I'll have to see if TW sells Legend in half sets- would be nice.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

I am not sure about this retirement thing being referred to, but judging by the popularity of this string setup, and the many requests for your $.02 on Volkls, your posts appear to be greatly/widely appredciated in this forum.

Post on!

jm4121
10-13-2007, 03:17 PM
regarding MOJO's set up, with the legend 17g/iso is the best set up i ever tried. as NBMJ said, changing to other brand and type of gut on main , will give you different feel than the original MOJO's set up....
found using VS team, bde, tonic will makes it more jummpy than the origianal..
if you prefer more control and crisp, you can try the armourpro...
18g legend will give you, lower in power, crisp, and more spin....

Thanks Bagung! I think I will try both and go from there. What tension difference would you recommend between 17/18?

jm4121
10-13-2007, 03:24 PM
NBMJ,

One more question for you. There are a few Iso half sets now on TW - are any of those the same as Iso Pro? Thanks!

bagung
10-13-2007, 03:24 PM
i have my legend 17g and 18g at 56lbs....
i am going to try the 18g again at 54 lbs...
as i found it too low in power to my liking.......

nickynu
10-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Please stick around N.B.M . Youre funny, what with your badgers and everything. Best wishes

LoveThisGame
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
NoBadMojo,

Stick around, please. You are one of a few here who contribute the info and thoughts in your areas of interest that are the most useful to me, a fairly experienced person.

volleyman
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
NBM,

I second this. I find your posts helpful.

FedUp
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Because of NBMJ, I bought 4 frames...I went from the DNX 10mp to the BB11 now based on his excellent reviews. NBMJ, it's very clear that there are loads of people out there that take your opinion very highly. If anything, please stick around for us!!

bagung
10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Because of NBMJ, I bought 4 frames...I went from the DNX 10mp to the BB11 now based on his excellent reviews. NBMJ, it's very clear that there are loads of people out there that take your opinion very highly. If anything, please stick around for us!!

fedup, how do you like the bb11? i suppose it is the std one..?
what is the things you like about bb11 more than the dnx-10MP...?
NBMJ has always gave us alot of good advise and his experience.... i enjoy reading his messages....

FedUp
10-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Bagung,
I honestly have not had the opportunity to hit with different string setups for the BB11 - standard. A direct comparison between the BB11 and DNX 10mp would be difficult for me to make until I try different setups in the BB11s. I will try a full Babolat VS Nat thermogut 16 I have lying around - I wanted to use up some freaking Kgut. So I strung the BB11 with that initially - what a mistake. My usual setup has been a poly in the mains (topspin cf) and some (variable) multi in the crosses. I just got a new SPPP reel I want to start using as well. One of my DNX 10mp has a full Legend 17 job...pretty good but I think that I prestretched too much.

As you can tell, I like trying different setups. We'll see how the thermagut works out......as usual I will have to try NBMJ setup with the isopro x's and legend mains.:)

bagung
10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
fedup,
thanks